onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

US Presidential race

JOHNNYAITCH

a lot of anti trump sentiments on this forum, are people forgetting what a vile corrupt woman Hilary is and a grade 1 liar as well.clinton carries a truck load of baggage with her and the Clinton foundation is everything but a charitable institution, she's that bent that even the voters noticed.

Trump may well be a complete bas***d but as president he should be judged on what he does whilst in office. Despite all the terrible things he has said and done (alleged and proven) who knows how he'll turn out as president. I'm hoping that people want him to be a success rather than wanting to se him fail with all the misery that would cause all over the world.

Advert

I don't know but businesses go bankrupt for all sorts of reasons..indeed it's an 'occupational hazard' to an extent

A post of Trump-style distraction and manipulation. If someone said on another thread that 'Peple have abortions for all sorts of reasons. Its an occupational hazard of having sex.' I bet you'd be yowling like a wimp.

As with the first past the post system here, there has been discontent with the process but attempts to change it have never been successful because it was deemed that the alternatives would be much worse. The popular vote, in particular, has been seen as a less fair way of electing the President because the outcome would always be dominated by a few states. It may seem odd or unfair to us but that's how the Americans have it.

Just as we had a referendum on PR a few years back has the US ever had a similar vote to change its system?

In the UK there are plans to change constituency boundaries such that all of them have a similar population to make FPTP a bit 'fairer'..which isn't going down well in Devon/Cornwall (and possibly elsewhere) as it means some changing of the county borders.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/sep/13/cornish-come-out-fighting-over-proposed-cross-border-constituency-with-devon

Just as we had a referendum on PR a few years back has the US ever had a similar vote to change its system?

In the UK there are plans to change constituency boundaries such that all of them have a similar population to make FPTP a bit 'fairer'..which isn't going down well in Devon/Cornwall (and possibly elsewhere) as it means some changing of the county borders.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/sep/13/cornish-come-out-fighting-over-proposed-cross-border-constituency-with-devon

Since the US "system" is embodied in the Constitution, the way it would be changed would be either by the Congress with a two-thirds majority vote in both the House of Representatives and the Senate or by a constitutional convention called for by two-thirds of the State legislatures.

Since 1824 after the election of John Quincy Adams, there have been 5 presidents who have been elected without winning the popular vote,

And funnily enough, there were all Republicans.

though it has to be said, like him or not (and I definitely don't) Trump received 62.6 million votes, more votes than any other Republican candidate in history.

Bush got 62 million in 2004 and the population was more than 20 million lower than it is now. As a percentage of the total electorate, Trump's is lower. I see Clinton got more votes than any Republican candidate in history as well!!

I don't know but businesses go bankrupt for all sorts of reasons..indeed it's an 'occupational hazard' to an extent

I believe it is four at the moment. My point is, it does rather give the lie to what a wonderful businessman he is. I assume that for every bankruptcy there were probably a considerable number of folk who were shafted by him.

I believe it is four at the moment. My point is, it does rather give the lie to what a wonderful businessman he is. I assume that for every bankruptcy there were probably a considerable number of folk who were shafted by him.

Not necessarily..businesses go under for all sorts of reasons. Could be his fault, could be other businesses failed which shafted his, could be dramatic changes in market conditions outside of his control and so on.

However, much of what he has done in business is a bit of a no brainer if one can raise the capital..which obviously he had access to.

Since the US "system" is embodied in the Constitution, the way it would be changed would be either by the Congress with a two-thirds majority vote in both the House of Representatives and the Senate or by a constitutional convention called for by two-thirds of the State legislatures.

Thanks

But presumably they could have an advisory referendum on it?

Thanks

But presumably they could have an advisory referendum on it?

There are such things at state and local level, but not federal. To do that would require a change to the Constitution first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived