onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

popey

my issue isn't that we aren't breaking the bank to keep hold of pope, not only for the reasons mentioned by spunkers, but because after V2001 we have to live within our means.

however, i think smurf was naive to come into the club promising championship ambition without having a clue on what backing following through with that claim would entail

Advert

my issue isn't that we aren't breaking the bank to keep hold of pope, not only for the reasons mentioned by spunkers, but because after V2001 we have to live within our means.

however, i think smurf was naive to come into the club promising championship ambition without having a clue on what backing following through with that claim would entail

What is he supposed to say? Fans would go mad if he said he will be happy with lower league football forever

Im glad the Pope saga seems to be done and dusted early doors.

A summer of uncertainty would be no good for club or player.

For Tom it seems it is all about the money. And fair play to him. A three year deal at this stage of his career is fantastic.

Personally, i am not too fussed he is leaving. Yes, he was our top scorer last season but that wasnt so difficult to achieve. His performances in our promotion season were unplayable against at times. That i will fondly remember. However he has regressed considerably this last season. Yes, he has been carrying injuries, which makes it all the more of a gamble by Bury, but even when fit he hasnt looked as sharp as he once was.

A lad who loves a pint and a ciggy. We all know that and i am certainly not knocking it but that will eventually catch up with you as an athlete and i wondered at times last season if it was catching up with him already.

At Bury he will not be "Top Dog". Something i suspect he thrived on at Vale. Will his heart really be in it either? Lets face it, he has done nothing anywhere apart from us and has made it abundantly clear that its all about the money for him. Again, not knocking that.

People wanting Norman to push the boat out to keep him. Im happy Norman is not selling us down the admin river like chairman gone by.

I also think we can get similar or better to Tom without much fuss. Not the Tom of 3 seasons ago but like ive said, he is not that player anymore.

Good deal for Tom.

The club moves forward and must now wisely make the required additions to compete.

Thanks for the memories Tom. You will always be a legend thanks to that promotion season. Good luck.

Got to agree with this spunky

Good luck sir Pope I hope things work out for u thanks for the memories of your goals that got us promoted

Im glad the Pope saga seems to be done and dusted early doors.

A summer of uncertainty would be no good for club or player.

For Tom it seems it is all about the money. And fair play to him. A three year deal at this stage of his career is fantastic.

Personally, i am not too fussed he is leaving. Yes, he was our top scorer last season but that wasnt so difficult to achieve. His performances in our promotion season were unplayable against at times. That i will fondly remember. However he has regressed considerably this last season. Yes, he has been carrying injuries, which makes it all the more of a gamble by Bury, but even when fit he hasnt looked as sharp as he once was.

A lad who loves a pint and a ciggy. We all know that and i am certainly not knocking it but that will eventually catch up with you as an athlete and i wondered at times last season if it was catching up with him already.

At Bury he will not be "Top Dog". Something i suspect he thrived on at Vale. Will his heart really be in it either? Lets face it, he has done nothing anywhere apart from us and has made it abundantly clear that its all about the money for him. Again, not knocking that.

People wanting Norman to push the boat out to keep him. Im happy Norman is not selling us down the admin river like chairman gone by.

I also think we can get similar or better to Tom without much fuss. Not the Tom of 3 seasons ago but like ive said, he is not that player anymore.

Good deal for Tom.

The club moves forward and must now wisely make the required additions to compete.

Thanks for the memories Tom. You will always be a legend thanks to that promotion season. Good luck.

Good post....and appreciate most of what you're saying.

However, I would probably disagree that it's ALL about the money for Tom. I think he would stay at Vale for less money than he is potentially being offered at Bury but it seems that the cut is that drastic that it would be silly for him and his family to accept vales offer....I know you're not getting at Tom in any way for taking the money but I think it's probably a little unfair to state that it's ALL about the money for him.

I'm also not so sure that we could replace Tom with 'similar' or 'better' based on the budget Norman is putting forward...for similar wages to his current salary, yes, but on such a reduced budget i doubt it....But I'm not by any means saying Norman should spend beyond our means.

Think this season could be a struggle.

If he does go it will be sickening to lose one of our better players to a competitor, Vale needed to add a quality striker to play alongside Pope notlose our main goal threat. The chances of Vale signing one good striker never mind two given the funds available are

Now Smurf knows another offer is more than likely on the table for Pope it's time to get his negotiating hat on.

In don't think smurf will be to bothered as he has made it clear that he will be on reduced terms and been the highest earner at the club plus a 3 year deal as well at his age is good business personally for him, shame to see him go as Williamson and Dodds are not the answer sadly so we can say good bye to him unless we offer him a better deal

Archived