onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Birchall Unhappy - wonder why

markh

Advert

Chris Birchall has been one of our most loyal players over recent years. A few others have pointed to his offer to play for free not long ago. His best days may be past, but even if anyone thinks he is not going to be a star in the team, he deserves respect and not abuse for his contribution to the club over the years.

What kind of supporter continually insults, belittles and criticises the club owner, manager, support staff and half the players - or at least a fair number of those - not just with personal insults but with the sort of remarks that undermine confidence in ability, leadership and progress ?

People have every right to say which players we should keep etc, or who they think should be in the team, but the way a few express it on here is really not doing anything for Port Vale FC.

Would it not have been better to have just released the players that those in charge obviously don't value or rate rather than make them an insulting offer?

In my opinion this cowardly way of sending a letter with a pathetic offer shows the player next to no respect. I am very saddened to see Port Vale acting in this poor manner.

Would it not have been better to have just released the players that those in charge obviously don't value or rate rather than make them an insulting offer?

In my opinion this cowardly way of sending a letter with a pathetic offer shows the player next to no respect. I am very saddened to see Port Vale acting in this poor manner.

I think some of them will end up taking the offer as nobody will offer them one at all.

I have tried to think of a sensible reason why anyone would offer a contract to someone they didnt want... and I cant

Page seems to suggest its to keep the dressing room together.... I am assuming he means all the players.... the dressing room doesnt play, only a percentage....

It may be a legal requirement owd'n

I sincerely thank all players for their services to the club but when the time comes for them to move on I wish someone would have the guts to just tell them. Is it not better for the young pros to get involved with the first team rather than have seasoned professionals hanging around the club when you have no intention of playing them. I do hope that someone will eventually explain why offers have been made to players that we do not want to keep.

Could you elaborate on "insulting offer" ? I dont think the public at large know what each player has been offered, or perhaps you do ?

Last season we finished higher than this season so their collective achievement has diminished and should be reflected in their remuneration. You get pay rises for improving not getting worse. If the players had performed as well this season as they did last then they well have been entitled to have had similar contracts, if they performed much better then a pay rise may have been appropriate.

As for your comments about the "cowardly way" of putting a contract in black and white seems nonsense to me - every contract I have had in my 60 odd years has been done with a written letter of offer. As I understand it a verbal contract is very open to misunderstanding.

I have tried to think of a sensible reason why anyone would offer a contract to someone they didnt want... and I cant

If you see a previous 1st team regular as only good enough for the bench then a drop in status would be reflected in the contract.

Anyway, this lower contracts theory is just that - a theory. It is now being bandied about on this forum as though it is Fact.

Regardless of whether Chris is deemed good enough, he is "one of our own".

The abuse he gets is disgusting.

That also applies with Yatesy as well.

I agree, another player who a few abuse for no good reason, and even Tom Pope, who will no doubt get a shedful of nonsense aimed at him if he does choose to play elsewhere.

Why can't we all get back to supporting our club and whoever plays for it, runs it, manages it and is part of it?

Archived