onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Should refs.get TV replays?

For Us All

At last a good question....

No ;)

The rules/laws of Association Football state that the ref makes the decisions..that should be the same and applied in the same way at all levels

The rules used to say a lot of things that they dont say now. The rules have been altered twice in recent times in an attempt to make defending more difficult so its more of a spectacle for the viewers, I mean the fans.

We already have trial by TV after the fact, we may as well have it during the game. I wouldnt mind seeing a few of those premier league posers getting sent off for tripping over their shadows.

Advert

The rules used to say a lot of things that they dont say now. The rules have been altered twice in recent times in an attempt to make defending more difficult so its more of a spectacle for the viewers, I mean the fans.

We already have trial by TV after the fact, we may as well have it during the game. I wouldnt mind seeing a few of those premier league posers getting sent off for tripping over their shadows.

Could we make an exception and have TV replays for PNE and Joe Garner please?:rolleyes:

Havnt read the whole thread but my answer to the question is no. They have goal line technology now and that's fine, but taking it further would ruin the game. Most of us love the controversy, love going to the pub or chatting with mates about a penalty or a red card decision. Take this out for a perfect match and there wouldn't be a lot to discuss.

But the rules changes were still applied at every level of the game and arbitered by the ref/lineos

We already have trial by TV after the fact, we may as well have it during the game.

But again trial by Tv after the fact does not happen at every level so is no reason to have it during the game

I wouldnt mind seeing a few of those premier league posers getting sent off for tripping over their shadows.

Me too but that's up to the ref..he can do that now if he so wishes..whether it be Citeh v Chelsea or Ragged Ar$e Rovers v Fegg Hayes City

The argument against goal line technology was a desire by FIFA and others to keep the rules of the game the same at all levels. I think that is flawed, because no matter what the intent the resources to apply the rules and the game facilities in general decline top to bottom. It is possible to have generally consistent rules with additions at higher levels that can afford them. Even more officials costs money.

So the other argument against technology is interruption to the flow of the game. This is a serious issue because stop start games, whether naturally arising or caused by the referee are boring to watch and football has to be entertaining. I go to athletics once a lifetime and watch football several days a week etc.

The interruption by replay analysis must therefore be very limited. The trick is to capture the key moments. Was it a penalty? Was it a foul when through on goal with a goal scoring chance? Was he offside when he scored or in the build up. I think the fourth official or fifth official could quickly check many if these situations with the referee under a decision making protocol. Then we have to ask if the captain, not the manager in my opinion, should be allowed a couple of challenges each half.

I think this is inevitable and necessary but mustn't spoil the game or cost too much at PV level.

TV replay technology is two dimensional while football is three dimensional, played in real time with an official close to the action. There is no case in football for TV technology which is misleading at present. Cases where a player allows another to take the rap as O'Shea or Garner should be dealt with severely and retrospectively, preferably by the manager of the team concerned. The great Brian Clough would not allow his players to argue with the referee or dive. Some managers encourage both. They should be made responsible for the actions of their players and suspended if their players misbehave in this way. Ultimately persistent offenders should be banned from management.

Who would call for a replay in that instance, Sunderland ? The professional referees body say no mistake was made.

Wes Brown might,if he was allowed to,the wrong man received a red card whether the professional referees body say so or not.Martin Atkinson was the 4th official,so he wouldn't have a clue.

Incompetence by referee Roger East on Saturday at Old Trafford could result in both players Brown and O'Shea escaping punishment,as did Oxlade-Chamberlain and Gibbs in their match against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

All for the sake of 30 seconds on a TV replay?:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
Wes Brown or John O'Shea?

Sorted by a TV replay in less than a minute.

Another massive ****-up at the Etihad,Craig Dawson or Gareth McAuley?Referee Neil Swarbrick appears to have sent off the wrong player in the second minute of Manchester City's Premier League match against West Brom.

What will it take to bring in TV replays?

Archived