onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

BBC salaries.

For Us All

Acceptable to whom? I'd love the min wage to be significantly higher and advocate the living wage instead should be paid. As to a car..don't trun one if you can't afford one..it does not have to be a necessity

It doesn't have to be a neccessity does it? I travel a 30 miles round trip just to earn what I earn. In the potteries area, there is not one job that pays anywhere near my rate for what I do and even when petrol is taken into account I am better off but not by very much. The same will apply for people who work in other industries, such as logistics where the business model is designed with shifts in mind. These workers need their own transport due to the long nature of shifts and the fact that waiting for buses early in the morning and at night can extyend their day considerably. And if like the potteries, where there is a real shortage of work, then it is hardly like the old days when you has a potbank or steelworks just a ten minute walk away. All that is gone, and people who are genuine enough to want employment and find themselves in employment usually need a car to maintain that level of sustainability. i'm sure that thousands of men and woemn really feel safe to walk the streets now early in the morning and late at night. Some people really dont have a choice to run their own car, that is why the government continues to raise taxation and makes huge gains from fuel duties. I used to think that transport was a luxury, but there are too many factors nowadays that argue against that perception.

Advert

It doesn't have to be a neccessity does it? I travel a 30 miles round trip just to earn what I earn. In the potteries area, there is not one job that pays anywhere near my rate for what I do and even when petrol is taken into account I am better off but not by very much.

Fair enough..the point was if you don't need a car then don't have one.if it's not worth your while to have one then don 't

The same will apply for people who work in other industries, such as logistics where the business model is designed with shifts in mind. These workers need their own transport due to the long nature of shifts and the fact that waiting for buses early in the morning and at night can extyend their day considerably.

Well obvioulsy if you need a car you ned one... the point was it isn't necessarily a necessity so if you don't need one do without it. Somene who can go to work by bus does not need a car..their choice whether to have a longer day or the expense of a car

And if like the potteries, where there is a real shortage of work, then it is hardly like the old days when you has a potbank or steelworks just a ten minute walk away. All that is gone, and people who are genuine enough to want employment and find themselves in employment usually need a car to maintain that level of sustainability.

Have you read my post..if it's a necessity then get one if it isn't and you're short of cash then don't

i'm sure that thousands of men and woemn really feel safe to walk the streets now early in the morning and late at night. Some people really dont have a choice to run their own car, that is why the government continues to raise taxation and makes huge gains from fuel duties. I used to think that transport was a luxury, but there are too many factors nowadays that argue against that perception.

That does not change that if you don't need one then do without one...surely people with little money have more important things to spend their money on than a car that they don't need...my whole point

It doesn't have to be a neccessity does it? I travel a 30 miles round trip just to earn what I earn. In the potteries area, there is not one job that pays anywhere near my rate for what I do and even when petrol is taken into account I am better off but not by very much..

You earn 1 pound above min wage and there is nothing within 15 miles that pays that much?

"I have always worked way in excess of 40 hours and £1 above the minimum wage due to the nature of my employment"

And you travel a 30 mile round trip for that? I honestly believe that there are jobs paying at least £1 above min wage where you would not have to make a 30 mile round trip each day that are available to you.

Obvioulsy this should never happen but very much exceptional cases

My niece and her husband both work in what was the DHSS in SoT and the bro in law's wife works in the same field in Manchester and they have told me harrowing tales of people suffering and struggling on benefits but they also tell me of what they call large numebrs of claimants who have no intention of working, who are happy being supported by hard working people such as Carl, who know how to milk the system and so on...thos suffering have to be helped but those exploiting those who go to work have to be dealt with too

I wonder how many of those who 'milk the system' have 1, maybe 2 cars on the driveway, use mobile phones and/or iPads, and enjoy a trip or two holidaying home or abroad?

I wonder how many of those who 'milk the system' have 1, maybe 2 cars on the driveway, use mobile phones and/or iPads, and enjoy a trip or two holidaying home or abroad?

They are very few but there should not be any....it's wrong in principle and very wrong that those working long hours on a low hourly rate are paying to support such people

I volunteer occasionally at one of the food banks in Manchester for a charity I'm involved with, and I can honestly say that the people I see in there are not worrying about cars, mobile phones, i-pads or holidays abroad. I'm not naive enough to think there isn't the odd rogue amongst them but it's really upsetting seeing families where the mum and dad are living off almost nothing so their kids can eat, and these are working families on low paid/part time jobs a lot of the time not people just on benefits.

Good on you for doing a fantastic job and helping families who desperately need help but I currently have a bee in my bonnet about a local family who have always lived on the dole and who openly boast about using a food bank.What galls me most of all is that this family of five,have a Sky Sports package,three of them smoke,live off takeaways and spend most of their time in Wetherspoons.

Like you say though,it's probably a minority but nevertheless it's still highly frustrating.

"Why do i bother to slog to work and back"

I think that every morning but I would be a lot worse claiming for a poxy £80 a week. No there is not anything that pays the equivalent of £21600 or more a year in Stoke on Trent or surrounding area that doesn't require a skill, or a degree in Mathematics or Law etc

I may be able to get a job which pays £7.90 an hour but possibly I would still be worst off as the job would possibly offer me less hours !!! The job economy around the Potteries is truly depressing unless you are a Solicitor, Tradesman or Manager of some corporate firm.

Yes Labour wouldnt consider decreasing the TV Licence instead they will probably increase the fees and make non payment remain a Criminal offence. "Force it down the disaffected throats"

Archived