Advert

Advert

Retai/Food outlets we miss

JOHNNYAITCH

Advert

Tunstall pictures , I remember going to see ET there

top to toe (the shop to go) in Tunstall

burslem baths

Burslem baths wow.Ive still got my length certificate from over 50 years ago.First the baths then over the road for a slice of toast in the cafe.

They had top quality barbers there though! Big Steve and Rogers boys before they expanded the empire!

I bumped into Aidy and Mark in the departure lounge at Manchester Airport a couple of weeks ago, they're top lads. I'm not on commission but I have never had a bad haircut from any of their barbers, young or old and it's good banter too. It's more convenient for me to go elsewhere but I wouldn't even consider it now

Burslem baths wow.Ive still got my length certificate from over 50 years ago.First the baths then over the road for a slice of toast in the cafe.

i remember burslem baths and the 2 pools and washing facilities at hanley baths... i only ever went to tunstall baths once [i think] to try scuba.

i think i remember the old fire station in hanley... next to webberley's book shop, but not sure... i remember some of the pubs, the angel. the grapes, the sea lion, the lamb, the red lion and the black lion, the sun and the laddie, the globe and the ivy house... etc etc etc... i remember the fair [wakes] down by hanley park, the marl holes and prefabs and the coal waste tips... christ i feel old

burslem baths

I have not so good memories of Burslem baths. the good side was the bus from Norton stopped just outside. the bad sids was the dreaded

'sessions'...the day was split into sessions which lasted an hour (or whatever) and at the end of each those in the water were booted out of the building (I never really knew why). So if you in your enthusiasm to start bombing didn't notice how close you wre to the end of a session when you got in you could find yourslef turfed out after 10 minutes...seemed to happen too often

Was it Burslem where you could jump/dive/bomb from the balconies as it was so deep? or Tunstall..or both?

I have not so good memories of Burslem baths. the good side was the bus from Norton stopped just outside. the bad sids was the dreaded

'sessions'...the day was split into sessions which lasted an hour (or whatever) and at the end of each those in the water were booted out of the building (I never really knew why). So if you in your enthusiasm to start bombing didn't notice how close you wre to the end of a session when you got in you could find yourslef turfed out after 10 minutes...seemed to happen too often

The soup from the vending machine was ace and the caf across the road was pretty good too

Was it Burslem where you could jump/dive/bomb from the balconies as it was so deep? or Tunstall..or both?

I genuinely think the biggest losses are pubs- far too many have gone to the wall of late. I've never really been one for just going to the boozer and chatting with whoever's there but I appreciate that's what a lot of people do. We live in a very strange culture of making your own little space nicer and disregarding the communities in which we live.

I bumped into Aidy and Mark in the departure lounge at Manchester Airport a couple of weeks ago, they're top lads. I'm not on commission but I have never had a bad haircut from any of their barbers, young or old and it's good banter too. It's more convenient for me to go elsewhere but I wouldn't even consider it now

When I'm in the UK I always go to Leek or Sneyd Green when I'm down to visit my mum rather than use barbers in Lancashire where my house and office is, feel much the same way :)

Mayfair? Now in the Ironmarket.

Could be, that name does ring a bell but I wasnt very old so I cant be sure, I just vaguely remember walking through the arcade and as we lived newcastle way I assume it was that one. It would ahve been the 60s

In the 70s I got my hair cut at a barbers next to the total garage on the marsh, opposite the wulstan pub, long hair parted in the middle and flicked back at the sides. My dad hated it, especially when I stood spraying it with falcon hairspray "like a ****** girl" :laugh:

Archived