onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Hereford - the next franchise club?

robf

The appalling events at Hereford continue...

I've already written on here at length about the dodgy owners who are from the South East (including former officials from Grays and Bedfont and Feltham).

The "owner" Tommy Agombar is one of the few people to have failed the "fit and proper" person test so technically the club claims that he's only a "season ticket holder" although it doesn't stop him standing in the technical area and giving team talks. The "chairman" is the former chairman of Bedfont and Feltham.

Now, it looks like many of the players (and players have confirmed this) are training at Bedfont and Feltham (rather than somewhere in Hereford) and rumours are circulating that the club wants to "ground-share" with Essex-based side Harlow Town.

I think all this puts our current problems into some perspective...

Advert

It needs a rule that no club play their home games more than 20 miles or so away from any town or city whose name they play under.

Yes, I did notice the irony of our own situation here, plus Arsenal and a number of Scottish and Irish clubs (QOS, Bohemians,Raith) plus Forest Green, but in general it would stop this kind of nonsensical abuse.

I really feel sorry for Hereford, or at least their fans, the local council should take them over and stop this.

It needs a rule that no club play their home games more than 20 miles or so away from any town or city whose name they play under.

Yes, I did notice the irony of our own situation here, plus Arsenal and a number of Scottish and Irish clubs (QOS, Bohemians,Raith) plus Forest Green, but in general it would stop this kind of nonsensical abuse.

I really feel sorry for Hereford, or at least their fans, the local council should take them over and stop this.

The FL and the Southern League have been spineless really. They still allow Agombar to be in charge unofficially and seem to have made up the rules as they went along (technically Hereford should not have been allowed to sign players with their current debts etc).

However, I think the other problem lies with the courts who keep allowing Hereford extra time to repay their creditors.

It's clear to all that there is no way that the club can afford to pay the £400,000 owing.

Once the club is finally wound-up, I think that will be good news.

Local businesses have withdrawn support but have indicated that they would financially back a fans-created phoenix club and the council have also indicated that a phoenix club would be allowed to play at Edgar St. It may mean the club dropping down even more divisions (a la Aldershot) but at least they should have a future, something they don't appear to have with the current owners.

Northwich Vics got kicked out of their ground and play their home games at Flixton.

Luckily for Mental Jim it's in the same borough as his day job.

It needs a rule that no club play their home games more than 20 miles or so away from any town or city whose name they play under. .

In principle that's a sound idea..it could be a condition of any takeover (agreed by the FL for example) that a club won't be relocated more than X (20) miles for Y (5) years..hopefully that would deter those whose aim is relocation for their own benefit

Club ownership by fans in some way is ultimately the way to stop this

Some good positive posts in this thread, can I wish Hereford good luck for the future.

I remember there was even talk of Wimbledon being moved to Dublin before they ended up at Milton Keynes, quite insane.

I second that. not nice to see any Club having to go through what Hereford are. Best of luck lads in ousting the current idiots that run you and as has been said maybe some good will actually eventually come out of this mess.

Some good positive posts in this thread, can I wish Hereford good luck for the future.

I remember there was even talk of Wimbledon being moved to Dublin before they ended up at Milton Keynes, quite insane.

I was living in South London at the time and new lots of Wimbledon fans and indeed Dublin was mooted. What they went thru was horrendous, not least the split it caused amongst the support..those who followed the club to MK and those who didn't

One day it will emerge whether it was genuinely believed that Wimbledon FC would have died without relocation or not..but I won't hold my breath and i reckon I know the answer anyway

As I've said before having lived in what was then Hereford and Worcestershire I feel a lot for Hereford's fan. Basically they need to reform in the ilk of Telford, Halifax, Darlo, Scarborough and start again, when you read what has happened to their club it's disgusting.

The Conference seems to be a division for ex-league clubs where if you don't get back up in 2 or 3 seasons it can be a slippery slope to ruin if you fanbase dwindles and problems off the pitch enshue!

I was living in South London at the time and new lots of Wimbledon fans and indeed Dublin was mooted. What they went thru was horrendous, not least the split it caused amongst the support..those who followed the club to MK and those who didn't

One day it will emerge whether it was genuinely believed that Wimbledon FC would have died without relocation or not..but I won't hold my breath and i reckon I know the answer anyway

Jeez that would have been truly ridiculous.

As a complete aside I read somewhere recently that Bolton Wanderers are the only club to have played English FA Cup ties in all 4 countries of the UK. Obviously most games are in England, they've played Cardiff/Wrexham/Swansea away they once played away at Gretna(when they were a Northern League side in the English system and qualified for the 1st round). I've not looked but I'm not sure how on earth the managed to play one in Northern Ireland but apparently it's happened!?

Archived