onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Lucky Celtic - again

VantaaVale

Advert

I see Celtic as the model of Scotland after independence if voted for. A club well supported that should be competing as it once did at the top of Europe. Yet, trapped in Scotland they can't attract and retain top players. Doomed to at best mediocrity.

According to an ardent Celtic friend of mine (he named his son Tommy), the 11 starting players for Celtic when they won the European Cup vs Inter Milan in Lisbon in 1967 were all born within 25 miles of Parkhead, a feat that will most likely never be repeated again and could well be the only time a bunch of close homegrown players have won Europe's premier club competition.

The only way Celtic will achieve former glory will be if they somehow manage to join the Premier League.

Some balls but no consistency. Debrecen were fined 15000 euros but allowed to stay in the competition for a very similar breach of the rules in 2010.

However, there is a precedent that suggests there is no cut-and-dried policy ensuring that a club guilty of fielding an ineligible player must forfeit the tie. In 2010, Uefa fined Debrecen £15,000 but rejected a protest by opponents Litex Lovech, who argued that the Hungarian side should be kicked out of the tournament.

Debrecen stressed that they had fielded Peter Mate in good faith as a substitute in Bulgaria when they were already leading 4-1 on aggregate. Uefa ruled that Debrecen had “no interest in fielding this player for the three last minutes of additional time, when the score was so clearly in its favour”.

If true (not doubting you) this is exactly what happens and additional clubs flout the laws, UEFA needs to clamp down and set an example.

The Legia and Debrecan cases are quite different and different rules and punishments apply; one as with Legia leads to a definite forfeit the other can lead to a forfeit but other punishments are available.

No inconsistancy by UEFA in the applying of their rules

Maybe I am a little naive but could you tell me how the two cases differ?

According to an ardent Celtic friend of mine (he named his son Tommy), the 11 starting players for Celtic when they won the European Cup vs Inter Milan in Lisbon in 1967 were all born within 25 miles of Parkhead, a feat that will most likely never be repeated again and could well be the only time a bunch of close homegrown players have won Europe's premier club competition.

The only way Celtic will achieve former glory will be if they somehow manage to join the Premier League.

I think it was within 30 miles of Parkhead but that's being pedantic!

Interestingly I think Barcelona had a number of 'local' players in their side when they won it a couple of years ago in 2011 and one of them - Xavi I think - was registered as a Barca club member by his dad on the day he was born. As they're a mega-rich club they can afford to hold on to any talent they develop but it was still refreshing to see a club with some home grown local talent win Europe's top prize, although the feat of the Lisbon Lions is unlikely to be repeated.

As for the current fiasco I think Celtic should be embarrassed to be reinstated and should respond positively to Legia's open letter. However, there's so much money involved in the 'Champions' League it's likely they'll take the bye. Personally although the rules are clear and should be adhered to & enforced a much more sensible punishment for Legia would have been a meaningful fine and a further suspension of the player in question as they clearly have Billiovski Lodzki as club secretary but also won the tie convincingly without any significant assistance from the banned player.

Maybe I am a little naive but could you tell me how the two cases differ?

Of course

Legia fielded a banned player and when that is done you forfeit the match. It's specified explicitely in UEFA's rules and there is no other punishment available

Debrecen fielded a player ineligible for other reasons and forfeiture is one option available to UEFA in such a situation

From UEFA's own rules which I believe cover 2012-2015

http://www.uefa.org/MultimediaFiles/Download/Tech/uefaorg/General/01/81/94/48/1819448_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Article 14bis Forfeit (the highlights are my own)

1 A match is declared forfeit if a player who has been suspended following a

disciplinary decision participates in the match.

2 A match is also declared forfeit in application of Article 19(1) of these

regulations.

3 A match may be declared forfeit if a player who is ineligible under the regulations

of the competition concerned participates in the match, as long as the opposing

club files a protest.

Legia falls under 1 Debrecen under 3..plus they changed in 2012

So no inconsistancy by UEFA in the applying of their rules as two different rules apply

• 2 weeks later...
Justice for the cheats that were Legia ;)

It sounds like it was an honest mistake but either way Celtic should not have been reinstated, it would have been much fairer to let the team drawn out last in the next round to get a bye, IMO.

It sounds like it was an honest mistake but either way Celtic should not have been reinstated, it would have been much fairer to let the team drawn out last in the next round to get a bye, IMO.

The rules are there though and to be fair Celtic simply abided by them.

I see Legia have sacked the person responsible do they view it fairly seriously.

Anyway when is the champions league not the CHAMPIONS league, when it's full of failures like Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal while real champions of member leagues aren't even in it!!

Archived