onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Hereford thrown out of Conference

robf

Hereford are not in danger of going down a few leagues, they are in danger of ceasing to exist.

And that is very sad, no one wants that. But they will be replaced and so the pyramid will persist

You're actually changing the argument here - the original poster you replied to didn't say they were to blame just that they should "do more."

I don't think I am..Cavalier posted "Very sad when I happens to any club and SKY/prem should do more"..I don't wee why they should and it's not as if they are responsible for Hereford being in the mess that they are in so from whatever angle you look at this I can't see why they should..it's all due due to the owners of Hereford not living within their means.

I agree that they should.

I don't agree that they should..I don't see a moral obligation nor fault that warrants claiimng that they should

Hereford are in this mess primarily because of their debts. Like most money problems in the leagues below the PL these problems often arise at least partly due to the uneven distribution of money.

No it's cos they spend money they don't have and/or borrowed money they can't pay back. Live within your means and take the consequences. I'd prefer it if the Pl took a levy of the TV money and gave it to the FL but I don't see why they should and as they don't it's up to the clubs to act responsibly..any trickle down money would be and should be a bonus

It isn't directly due to Sky and the Premier League but they are a contributory factor and I think that they should be doing more as the poster said.

SKY/PL played no part in the decisions of the owners to take on debts they could not repay

Personally, I do think it's somewhat disrespectful to Hereford fans to split hairs over who/what is to blame. There is a time and a place for reflection but right now surely all the focus should be on looking at the present and how the extinction of the club can be prevented.

I agree..the owners now and in the past are to blame..no hair splitting necessary..above all else, the fans are blameless

the way to save the club is to take the punishment of dropping down the leagues, do what is possible re the debts and then run the club responsibly and rebuild

Advert

Aldershot came back from the level they will go to if they can reform after winding up. Chester are progressing on that journey as well although they hit a bit of a wall last year and are set to benefit from Hereford's problems. Attendances at Chester are better than they got when struggling in league 2.

Aldershot came back from the level they will go to if they can reform after winding up. Chester are progressing on that journey as well although they hit a bit of a wall last year and are set to benefit from Hereford's problems. Attendances at Chester are better than they got when struggling in league 2.

Apparently, in a gesture that says a lot about football fans' solidarity - Chester fans are helping Hereford even though they will take their place in the Conference. Chester had a run-in with the Vaughan family who are rumoured to be behind the new Hereford owners.

In a new poll, most Hereford fans want to see the club liquidated and started again as a phoenix club. They have secured the support of local businesses and are talking to the council to try and ensure the lease on the ground is not transferred to the new owners. If successful, I think that will be one in the eye for the Vaughan family.

p.s. Another 'high calibre' person has joined the new owners. In addition to Tommy Agombar (convicted of lorry theft, spent seven years in jail, labelled "thoroughly dishonest" by a judge) and the rumoured interest of Stephen Vaughan (disqualified as company director for 11 years, 15 months in jail for assaulting a police officer, first person to fail FA fit and proper person test) there is Andy Lonsdale. According to Bulls News:

"Mr Lonsdale was convicted in 2008 for the dumping of 600 lorry loads of waste on green belt land in South Bucks District Council. He has also been the director of a number of haulage companies which were liquidated or dissolved and he was registered by Companies House as a disqualified director from October 2, 2006 to October 1, 2012."

The poor Hereford fans...

In a new poll, most Hereford fans want to see the club liquidated and started again as a phoenix club.

Probably the best way forward

They have secured the support of local businesses and are talking to the council to try and ensure the lease on the ground is not transferred to the new owners. If successful, I think that will be one in the eye for the Vaughan family.

Not sure on what grounds the council could stop the lease transfer but hoping they find a way

p.s. Another 'high calibre' person has joined the new owners. In addition to Tommy Agombar (convicted of lorry theft, spent seven years in jail, labelled "thoroughly dishonest" by a judge) and the rumoured interest of Stephen Vaughan (disqualified as company director for 11 years, 15 months in jail for assaulting a police officer, first person to fail FA fit and proper person test) there is Andy Lonsdale. According to Bulls News:

"Mr Lonsdale was convicted in 2008 for the dumping of 600 lorry loads of waste on green belt land in South Bucks District Council. He has also been the director of a number of haulage companies which were liquidated or dissolved and he was registered by Companies House as a disqualified director from October 2, 2006 to October 1, 2012."

How do people like this get anywhere near purchasing a football club?

Not sure on what grounds the council could stop the lease transfer but hoping they find a way

Very simple actually. The council own the ground. The club has defaulted on payments and broken the terms of the agreement. The new owners are liable. The council can simply end the agreement and hand it over to another club (e.g. AFC Hereford).

I actually posted a link to the petition on a Newcastle message board - expecting to be roundly abused after 1972! - but a lot of them have signed the petition. That included one lad who was so impressed by the owner's CV that he wanted to start a new petition to have him renamed Theefy McB*st*rd!!

I actually posted a link to the petition on a Newcastle message board - expecting to be roundly abused after 1972! - but a lot of them have signed the petition. That included one lad who was so impressed by the owner's CV that he wanted to start a new petition to have him renamed Theefy McB*st*rd!!

Look like that owner is now former owner - good news for the Hereford fans I think:

http://bullsnews.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/agombar-no-longer-director-of-hufc-1939.html

And an update on Mr Lonsdale.

He's in breech of FA Rules as he's President (and club sponsor) of Feltham and Bedfont football club. Lonsdale says he's OK to be involved with the Hereford bid as he's "only acting as a consultant" but that still puts him in breech of FA Rules because as one Hereford fan has pointed out he is now in breech of these rules. It is an offence to:

(iii) be involved in any capacity whatsoever in the management or administration of that (second) Club;

or

(iv) have any power whatsoever to influence the financial, commercial or business affairs or

the management or administration of that (second) Club

Seriously, you couldn't make it up what's happening at Hereford right now. And we think we have problems because we can't sign a few players...

• 2 weeks later...

And still the tale continues to twist and turn.

Somehow the Southern League granted Hereford a place in their division despite Tommy Agombar being listed as one of their directors.

This is despite Agombar being a convicted criminal. A note on that for those that said he may have reformed/it was a long time ago. It technically doesn't matter as Hereford fans found that an offence of Agombar's type is a non-expiring offence and one that would exclude him from passing the fit and proper test.

So, how did the Southern League pass the club if Agombar was listed as a Director?

The excellent Bulls News blog have found out that there are TWO Tommy Agombars. Tommy Snr had resigned and his son Tommy Jnr had taken his place (and presumably got past the fit and proper test).

For those who follow the shenanigans of football ownership, the last time this trick was tried was by the Vaughan family and worringly, that lot have been linked with the Hereford consortium.

Who else is helping Agombar? One Andy Lonsdale, president of Bedfont and Feltham. Lonsdale knocked down their stadium and illegally dumped tons of rubble on it (earning him dozens of fines and bans from company directorship). Lonsdale is also flouting FA rules by being in a position of influence at two clubs.

On the playing front, there is former Arsenal scout Mark Ellis who claimed credit for helping several Arsenal youngsters make the grade. Only one problem - Arsenal deny that Ellis ever worked for them apart from a brief part-time stint!

Ellis goes further. He says he "helped AFC Bournemouth, Sheffield Wednesday and QPR to promotion in the last four years". He should have known the local press would check though. It turns out he was a "part-time scout" at Wednesday and a similar short-term scouting role at Bournemouth.

Judging by Ellis' own capacity to claim credit for himself, if he stays at Hereford any longer, he'll be claiming Ronnie Radford's cup goal was all down to him, too.

How are the fans/public reacting?

Both local MPs back the fan groups and have issued statements expressing concern. The fans are discussing creating a phoenix club and boycotting the present one. Many non-league clubs have pulled out of friendly games with Hereford to back the fans.

What a truly awful predicament for another group of loyal, lower league fans to go through!

I feel desperately sorry for Hereford's fans and a club which although small has(sadly nearly had) a very proud history. I spent 4 years of my life in what was then Hereford & Worcestershire so still have a soft spot for the area and always looked for their results as one of the first I check on Saturday nights.

I thought you couldn't have scripted what we went through with Vale but Hereford's predicament sounds truly awful. It's sad but they probably need to reform and build again. I can't help but think Edgar Street is a millstone too in this day age, great character in the place but unfortunately clubs need a ground with some modern facilities in this day and age to make money off the pitch(certainly when you get small gates).

Archived