onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

is league one there for the taking next season??

Advert

I'd think Sheffield and Bristol will be far better than last season and the likes of Orient and Peterborough, Swindon, Preston, MK Dons will be the usual top 6 contenders.

Doncaster and Barnsley despite trimming their squads will IMO still be pushing for top 6.

It may well be slightly weaker on paper but it's still a massive ask to get into the top 6.

We would need 5 key quality players for us to have a chance. It'll be a tough season for us and we need to start from the back with a top quality centre half and right back.

I think it's wide open. We saw this season that bar a few teams everyone was of a similar level. Bristol, Sheffield and Preston will be the front runners, mk dons, orient, posh and Doncaster will be around the play offs, but from what I saw this season none of those looked different class to us. 3 key signings in key areas and we will be in very good shape IMO. Improve that away from and we will be right up there.

I know this may be a controversial thought, but would we actually want promotion just yet? I was reading then article posted by Jacko (I think) about the turnover and budgets of teams in the championship. The team with the lowest budget spend £6m. That's 3 times what we spend currently.

If we were to go up, we could try and compete, and risk financially crippling the club for years and years to come by spending way over 100% of our turnover on wages; or we could accept we've not got much of a chance, keep the budget small and pocket the extra TV income. The fans wouldn't be happy with this, no doubt the manager and chairman would come under vocal pressure from the fans.

Without some serious financial backing I really don't see how we can realistically compete in the Championship at present. Given football Is supposed to be a sport that is a really depressing thought.

I know this may be a controversial thought, but would we actually want promotion just yet? I was reading then article posted by Jacko (I think) about the turnover and budgets of teams in the championship. The team with the lowest budget spend £6m. That's 3 times what we spend currently.

If we were to go up, we could try and compete, and risk financially crippling the club for years and years to come by spending way over 100% of our turnover on wages; or we could accept we've not got much of a chance, keep the budget small and pocket the extra TV income. The fans wouldn't be happy with this, no doubt the manager and chairman would come under vocal pressure from the fans.

Without some serious financial backing I really don't see how we can realistically compete in the Championship at present. Given football Is supposed to be a sport that is a really depressing thought.

The best time to sell would be after another promotion!

We should at least be playing a better passing game from midfield next season.;)

hell yes

we just cut our cloth accordingly, isnt the sky money worth an extra £2m? Spend the extra £2m on wages but have contracts drawn up that include big wage cuts if we go back down

there's no such thing as 'going up too early' providing the club is run correctly and decisions made accordingly. yeovil went up and even though they have come straight back down they haven't seen much infighting at the club as far as i'm aware or bankrupt the club through mismanagement

even with L1 looking much weaker next season than this one - I can't see vale challenging too high up the table at the moment. however, we finished 9th this season, sneaking a playoff spot might not be beyond the realms of the imagination (although neither is a relegation scrap)

sheffield united and pne gotta be favourites surely. maybe bristol city

This season the top five were head and shoulders above everyone else.

Next season will be an opportunity for someone, I still feel we're a fair way off that yet. Us challenging next year would need revolution rather than evolution during the summer.

hell yes

we just cut our cloth accordingly, isnt the sky money worth an extra £2m? Spend the extra £2m on wages but have contracts drawn up that include big wage cuts if we go back down

If we did that we'd still be spending £2m less on wages than the next lowest team. Realistically then, we'd finish bottom and get pasted most weeks.

Don't get me wrong, I'd actually love us to go up. The journey would be immense. In just not sure the destination would be all it's cracked up to be. Already this season we've had fans moaning saying we should have pushed on and made a real go for the play offs. Our budget is tiny compared to a number of teams (Sheff Utd rumoured to be taking Ched Evans back on £18k a week!!!) in this league. It really would be chicken feed in the one above. If we were to do a miracle and go up we might have to accept being a yoyo team for a few season until we build up the revenue enough to provide financial stability.

there's no such thing as 'going up too early' providing the club is run correctly and decisions made accordingly. yeovil went up and even though they have come straight back down they haven't seen much infighting at the club as far as i'm aware or bankrupt the club through mismanagement

even with L1 looking much weaker next season than this one - I can't see vale challenging too high up the table at the moment. however, we finished 9th this season, sneaking a playoff spot might not be beyond the realms of the imagination (although neither is a relegation scrap)

sheffield united and pne gotta be favourites surely. maybe bristol city

I'd be interested to know what Yeovils budget was this year. On the face of it it seems like thy went for my 2nd scenario: new they couldn't compete, pocketed the money and accepted relegation. Would our fans accept that?

Archived