onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Floods

JOHNNYAITCH

Apologoes if there is already a trhead on this.....

I notice that there seem to be a lot more politicians, reporters and indeed resources around now that the South East/Thames Valley is being affected.

Not been affected in my particular part of Devon although the nearby Sid and Otter are both running high and Sidmouth seafront has been showered with tons of pebbles and had a few (extra) cliff falls

http://www.sidmouthherald.co.uk/home/sidmouth_storm_1_3286830?id=7&storyId=1.3280571.1391628487

Hardly suffering like the Levels though

Has the Trent been behaving istelf?

Advert

Apologoes if there is already a trhead on this.....

I notice that there seem to be a lot more politicians, reporters and indeed resources around now that the South East/Thames Valley is being affected.

Not been affected in my particular part of Devon although the nearby Sid and Otter are both running high and Sidmouth seafront has been showered with tons of pebbles and had a few (extra) cliff falls

http://www.sidmouthherald.co.uk/home/sidmouth_storm_1_3286830?id=7&storyId=1.3280571.1391628487

Hardly suffering like the Levels though

Has the Trent been behaving istelf?

Too late Cameron - far, far too late. People can see clearly that 'money is no object' now that the Thames is overflowing but when it was 'not my flooded back garden' there were no funds to dredge rivers in Somerset. After all, not many votes there. The farmers in the West country warned the government 6 months ago, and what Cameron is saying now should have been said 5 weeks ago. Soldiers should have been helping in early January, not weeks later.

What if it gets worse, which it well might?

One group of people that could redeem themselves just a little are the banking chiefs with their big £millions bonuses - give them up, give your bonuses to those who have been flooded out, and do it quickly, publicly and generously. I'm not holding my breath though.

Too late Cameron - far, far too late. People can see clearly that 'money is no object' now that the Thames is overflowing but when it was 'not my flooded back garden' there were no funds to dredge rivers in Somerset. After all, not many votes there.

The Somerset levels is Tory/Coalition territory..I belive all the local MPs are Tory or Lib Dem

The farmers in the West country warned the government 6 months ago, and what Cameron is saying now should have been said 5 weeks ago. Soldiers should have been helping in early January, not weeks later.

What if it gets worse, which it well might?

Indeed more should have been done sooner re prevention..EA has a lot to answer for

One group of people that could redeem themselves just a little are the banking chiefs with their big £millions bonuses - give them up, give your bonuses to those who have been flooded out, and do it quickly, publicly and generously. I'm not holding my breath though.

Up to them, it's their money.

Banks pay more than enough tax to pay for what's needed in the flooded areas...up to govt to spend it properly

We are "north of Watford" therefore we only get limited exposure on tv and radio, even in the face of the recent appalling weather conditions. Once it becomes nearer to the Capital, then everyone and his dog down south start to voice themselves and get the full monty from the media.

Made of harder stuff though, up here!

Seriously all sympathy goes out to those experiencing floods and storm damage. Nice it is not. Hope everyone is looking out for their neighbours, particularly the frail, elderly and ill.

We really should make more of our position here as we don`t flood, being 500 ft up and no big rivers here. Our local councils should be contacting businesses affected by the floods to relocate here.

"Come to Stoke on Trent to work!"

"Actually, I now actually quite like rowing to the office. Cheers anyway though."

This is a massive omnishambles. If only it had happened in a General Election year.

After years of cuts on top of cuts on top of cuts, telling people about all the hard decisionsthat have to be made, Cameron declares that 'money is no object' as soon as the houses of his rich mates in the Thames Valley become threatened. What hypocrisy.

For every £1 saved by not spending money on prevention, another £8 will now have to be spent on cleaning up. All this in the at a time when sever weather events are becoming more often and more severe. And Cameron employs a Climate Change denier as his Environment minister.

The only thing the Tories seem particularly adept at in this crisis is trying to pass the buck between each other.

This is a massive omnishambles. If only it had happened in a General Election year.

After years of cuts on top of cuts on top of cuts, telling people about all the hard decisionsthat have to be made, Cameron declares that 'money is no object' as soon as the houses of his rich mates in the Thames Valley become threatened. What hypocrisy.

For every £1 saved by not spending money on prevention, another £8 will now have to be spent on cleaning up. All this in the at a time when sever weather events are becoming more often and more severe. And Cameron employs a Climate Change denier as his Environment minister.

The only thing the Tories seem particularly adept at in this crisis is trying to pass the buck between each other.

Years of neglect by Blair and Brown must come into the equation, pretty much like the economy

Archived