onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Drop Pope

forevervale

Advert

I honestly think that we have the same Pope as two years ago which is the Pope that needs resting. The difference between this Pope and the one that played so well for us last season, was the fact that when he reported for pre-season last season, it was obvious that he had worked hard during the close season, so he was super fit after Micky's work outs and was 100% ready and hit the ground running because he was so fit.

If anyone can truly say that Tom looked anywhere near ready at the start of this seaon then I will show you someone who is best friends or related to Tom.

Please Tom, don't waste what is left of your career and do what you did at the end of season 2011-12 and get fit. That will help you to be more mobile and I am sure will bring it's own rewards. The contract you signed last year will soon come to an end and we don't want to remember you as a one season wonder.

Guest TommyMac
But you have to agree with Pope opponents use two or three men to mark him giving us more space.

All we need to do is use it better.

Just a twist to the thread.

Don't think I've seen Tom being double marked except when he plays up front on his own. To be honest I reckon 80% of centre halves have had him in their pocket this season.

But you have to agree with Pope opponents use two or three men to mark him giving us more space.

All we need to do is use it better.

Just a twist to the thread.

I agree in theory, unfortunately I don't think we have a player that would be affective playing along side Pope. Hugill clearly has ability and pace but, in some ways is very similar to Pope and therefore they tend to go for the same ball far to often. As for Williamson, I agree with Old Sage in that whilst he also has pace and ability he appears to lack composure in front of goal. I'd like to see them both start in the hope that it would be a mutually beneficial.

I realise this may be slightly 'off-topic' but I make no apologies, it's just that I believe we need something of a reality check.

When we were promoted, I believe most Vale fans would have happily settled for a season of consolidation culminating in finishing just above the relegation zone. However things have not transpired thus and we find ourselves on the cusp of the play-offs.

However, in regards to Tom in particular, let's be fair, we pretty much all knew that last season was a bit of a one-off for the lad and I think most of us expected him to struggle a lot more this year. We have played far better teams, with far better defenders and yet we have hardly complimented the side with quality up front to assist Tom have we? That's no disrespect to the players we have, rather more an honest view from my standpoint.

Staying up was and is the main priority and Tom is often left on his own up front will very little assistance from officials. However, far from moaning, play acting, complaining etc Tom gets on with his job and is doing so to the best of his ability.

Anyone who truly believes that either Hugill, Tomlin, Williamson, Dodds or anyone else currently at the club could do that job better is, in my opinion deluded.

Hugill is young and raw and will come on leaps and bounds but is no way yet near leading the line. Williamson still flatters to deceive and although I like the lad, he has really got to up his game in front of goal. Tomlin for me looks better on the wing and Dodds could never plough a lone furrow up front.

Tom is struggling, of course, but up there on his own who wouldn't?. In my opinion we need to get people closer to Tom to feed off him and give central defenders something else to think about. However it's Micky that chooses the team and tactics and I for one think that both Micky and Tom are doing their level best each game for the good of Port Vale.

It is disapointing that this thread has to appear on OVF. But never the less we can all see that Tom is having a very poor run. We need to rest him and try a change of tack upfront. Mind you it is currently academic with us giving goals away for fun.

What makes this any different from some of the threads about Griff for example over the past few years? But as u say we do need a change upfront. Its not so much that his goals are drying up its his body language, pace and aerial strength that all look a shadow of what he was last year

Drop Pope, Drop JMW, and drop whoever is the third highest scorer as well. Keep the defenders that regularly concede (but, we don't like to talk about that).

Alternatively, play a striking partner alongside Pope and provide him with some service, or rest (not drop) him and put him on the subs bench. Then give him the last twenty minute opportunity as part of a dual strike force like Williamson and Hugill get.

A little less scapegoating and a little more perspective, please.

Well if you get your wish then the only really true comparison is if Hugill or Williamson play up front alone with no out and out wingers. They are both good players with their own individual strengths but, personally, I suspect that you will be disappointed.

I hope that I'm proved completely wrong if this happens.

Well if you get your wish then the only really true comparison is if Hugill or Williamson play up front alone with no out and out wingers. They are both good players with their own individual strengths but, personally, I suspect that you will be disappointed.

I hope that I'm proved completely wrong if this happens.

Ur already proved wrong. Crawley away

Archived