onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Drop Pope

forevervale

We may as well drop Pope to be honest. IMHO we need to decide - are we going to play with a few wide players who can get some quality crosses into the box for the lad? If not, then he won't score and we may as well try another option up front.

The reality is that we need to play to the strengths of the team or change the team to match the way that we are playing. One means Pope is in and the other he is out!

Advert

Drop Pope, Drop JMW, and drop whoever is the third highest scorer as well. Keep the defenders that regularly concede (but, we don't like to talk about that).

Alternatively, play a striking partner alongside Pope and provide him with some service, or rest (not drop) him and put him on the subs bench. Then give him the last twenty minute opportunity as part of a dual strike force like Williamson and Hugill get.

A little less scapegoating and a little more perspective, please.

Spot on. Haven't bothered reading the thread. Guessing it's the usual numpties moaning about the usual nonsense. Let's forget the fact we conceded three and blame pope for it all.

Drop is a very emotive word... perhaps rest would have been a better choice?

We have to trust the manager knows what he is trying to achieve and is therefore selecting the best players, game by game, to do that.

From what I have read on this and other threads...

rest pope because he isnt scoring goals, rest some/most of the midfield because opponents seem to stroll through us and rest all the defenders because they are none existent... it may leave us a bit short handed.

Thankfully its adams job to pick who he thinks is best to do the job in hand from those who are available.

Spot on. Haven't bothered reading the thread. Guessing it's the usual numpties moaning about the usual nonsense. Let's forget the fact we conceded three and blame pope for it all.

To be fair Micky made reference to the fact he was culpable for the first two.

The blame game is daft however, I don't care if he's a Vale fan or not, he's part of a sqaud of players that have over exceeeded again this season in the eyes of the vast mjority and realisstic support and they all deserve our support.

Drop is a very emotive word... perhaps rest would have been a better choice?

We have to trust the manager knows what he is trying to achieve and is therefore selecting the best players, game by game, to do that.

From what I have read on this and other threads...

rest pope because he isnt scoring goals, rest some/most of the midfield because opponents seem to stroll through us and rest all the defenders because they are none existent... it may leave us a bit short handed.

Thankfully its adams job to pick who he thinks is best to do the job in hand from those who are available.

I'm a Tom Pope fan and a supporter that he should start but as JJJ said in an earlier post and you its not a matter of "drop" its a matter of "freshening up" whether that be Knott coming into midfield or Tom Pope coming on from the sub's bench, after all its a squad game. It does hack me off though that some fans were calling for Chris Neal to be dropped last week and he's as consistent as consistent gets.

This thread misses the point, the point being the problem is the defense, it isn't good enough and needs serious work, Richard Duffy's return would help.

Interestingly, we don't seen to concede many when Micky brings the subs on and we go for it .. Attack best form of defense

Your post suggests that we should attack right from the off... or bring the subs on after "they" have had their first shot, usually within the first minute.

I agree with the majority on here, Pope needs to be dropped and Hugill given a chance as he's shown enough promise to deserve a decent run of games. Hopefully this will have a positive impact on Popes form for the rest of the season.

Pope does not look fit, he's lost his confidence, he's currently not winning balls in the air and spends most of his time berating his own players or the referee, even at times when we still have the ball.

To be fair Micky made reference to the fact he was culpable for the first two.

The blame game is daft however, I don't care if he's a Vale fan or not, he's part of a sqaud of players that have over exceeeded again this season in the eyes of the vast mjority and realisstic support and they all deserve our support.

Couldn't agree more.

It's sad how little loyalty there is with football fans in the modern game, yet the same fans would be the first ones to moan should a key player be disloyal and move at the first chance they got. In reality, who can blame the player as he knows his own fans will be on his back at the first sign of poor form, completely forgetting all that has gone before.

To clarify, I'm not referring to the fans who, quite rightly, are simply asking the question as to whether pope needs a rest and offering alternatives as to who should replace him. I'm referring to the ones who are currently giving him abuse, telling him he is ***** etc. You only have to look at some of the messages he's been sent on twitter from some call vale fans, namely a former poster on her who went by the name of mole. Low life.

I'm a Tom Pope fan and a supporter that he should start but as JJJ said in an earlier post and you its not a matter of "drop" its a matter of "freshening up" whether that be Knott coming into midfield or Tom Pope coming on from the sub's bench, after all its a squad game. It does hack me off though that some fans were calling for Chris Neal to be dropped last week and he's as consistent as consistent gets.

This thread misses the point, the point being the problem is the defense, it isn't good enough and needs serious work, Richard Duffy's return would help.

I would suggest the "problem" is a little wider than the defense... the forwards arent scoring/attacking... the midfield isnt holding ... the defense isnt stopping... its a team failure rather than an individual failure... small failings in each area culminate in what appears to be a larger failing in one area... the answer?... I have no bladdy idea... but it seems sad that when winning the shout is for the team where as when losing the shout is against the individual.

Archived