onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Latest league 1 home average attendances.

ollyandpatch

Advert

You can see that many clubs are doing way better than in the past (for various reasons). It's hard to understand why Bradford's gates are so high (perhaps their cheap season ticket deal has really worked better than ours) and clubs like Rotherham, Swindon, Peterborough are all drawing much better crowds than ever before.

If you look at the averages for the Championship I would contend that our average would be well into 5 figures if we got promoted. That has never been the case before for a long, long time.

http://espnfc.com/stats/attendance/_/league/eng.2/english-league-championship?cc=5901

You can see that many clubs are doing way better than in the past (for various reasons). It's hard to understand why Bradford's gates are so high (perhaps their cheap season ticket deal has really worked better than ours) and clubs like Rotherham, Swindon, Peterborough are all drawing much better crowds than ever before.

If you look at the averages for the Championship I would contend that our average would be well into 5 figures if we got promoted. That has never been the case before for a long, long time.

http://espnfc.com/stats/attendance/_/league/eng.2/english-league-championship?cc=5901

Bradford City were League Cup Finalists last season, Cheap STs, only league club in large city, no Prem close by, already played most of the big games at home, it is usually lots of things that builds the buzz. I would be quite happy with a 10k average in the Championship, maybe more if we can make a SF again.

Since found out our lowest is 2091 vs Torquay in 1980.[/quote

If that's true, I was there, and got the programme. I remember the day we slipped to the bottom of the old 4th division after yet another home defeat.

Losing at home to Halifax. That was about as low as we got.

Look at Phil Sherwin's book "Men Of Steele" and check the attendances in there - consistently in five figures and topping 20,000 at times. But that was a team of largely local players who never lost at home with a manager who was ahead of his time. Look at the pictures of the queues for tickets and consider that there were more at some reserve games than we get for first team matches today. Vale have the potential for regular 20,000 plus gates but we need to sell players to kick start the progress just as Vale sold Chamberlain and Harrison to kick start the Bell/Rudge revolution. We must produce our own players and only bring in players who are capable of improvement. We must also stop encouraging low attendances by closing half the ground for matches.

Said that 5 years ago, but people were intent on a smaller ground, not that long ago, for some unknown reason :blink:

Look at Phil Sherwin's book "Men Of Steele" and check the attendances in there - consistently in five figures and topping 20,000 at times. But that was a team of largely local players who never lost at home with a manager who was ahead of his time. Look at the pictures of the queues for tickets and consider that there were more at some reserve games than we get for first team matches today. Vale have the potential for regular 20,000 plus gates but we need to sell players to kick start the progress just as Vale sold Chamberlain and Harrison to kick start the Bell/Rudge revolution. We must produce our own players and only bring in players who are capable of improvement. We must also stop encouraging low attendances by closing half the ground for matches.
Not quite, the high reserve gates were due to selling cup tie tickets to people who attended the game, nice little surcharge on the tickets, all to the home club. But 5th round games against cup holders Blackpool, and Semi Final games do not come along very often to the Vale.

I had that thought after seeing there 18k gate, in my book it's the long term affect of their season offer... Once you get a season ticket at that price your more likely to renew and even more likely to encourage friends and family along when prices are so affordable. It's amazing to think hey had c.7k prior to the season ticket offer.

Something for Smurf to Explore by 'speaking' to the Bradford city chairmen me thinks.

Archived