onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Throwing money away

familystander

I,m not moaning and groaning. However, at half time I went for a cuppa in the family stand, to find that there was only one coffee, three teas and four left. I was second in the que therefore I guess they hadn't sold many prior to me. The club is throwing money away, it probably cost the club 50p and they sell them for two quid.

Come on Vales think about the easy ways to make money

Advert

I,m not moaning and groaning. However, at half time I went for a cuppa in the family stand, to find that there was only one coffee, three teas and four left. I was second in the que therefore I guess they hadn't sold many prior to me. The club is throwing money away, it probably cost the club 50p and they sell them for two quid.

The catering is still very poor.There is so much room for improvement.

Home game against Salsbury in the paddock they had ran out of beer within 5 minutes of the half time whistle! Does beer go out of date that quick!

When it come to refreshments the clubs (or the partner we employ) ability to forecast sales based on history and the insight from its own staff is at best... The most appalling I've ever whitnessed, all my 13 years within a Financial and business intelligence career.

Utterly ridiculous... And do they ever learn? Of course not...

Agreed, v Salisbury I went down to get some hot food in the Paddock before the game had even stopped for half time and they had nothing - no hot dogs, pies, burgers, nothing. They're £3 odd each and the club must make £2.50 profit on every one.

What annoys me is that this isn't a one off, it happens all of the time, we've just got used to it. I went down before half time because I knew there'd be nothing left if I left it any longer.

If I moan about hot food, it's absolutely unforgivable on items like beer with a long shelf life. The club are, as you say, throwing money away.

On saturday i took a lad i work with in the disabled stand. I was shocked at half time when they had ran out of tea. How do you run out of tea? Next time i will take a flask. Against salisbury they ran out of everything in the paddock. I was in the queue and everyone turned round and said that there was nothing left. Before kick off they tried to charge me £24 for 3 beers. When i questioned it they said sorry the tills are playing up.

The club isn't throwing money away it's the caterers we are on a fixed fee aren't we?

But what about the "secondary" (for want of a better word) effects of this?

Not everyone is a die-hard and if the catering is poor it just may put the odd fairweather fan off ("I'm not going there, I can't even get a pie and a pint at half-time").

What about encouraging people into the ground? If the catering is poor are people going to be encouraged to stay in the pub/town a little longer causing congestion at the turnstiles (cue more disgruntlement as people rush for their seats, miss the kick-off and so on...)

If people are spending less time in the stadium what about sales of things like programmes/golden goal etc - if there's less people then surely there will be less sales.

I know some people don't like the phrase "entertainment industry" but there is at least an element of "entertainment" in football and people want to have the right environment - food, pricing, the football on display and so on... you can't afford to be lax on one of them when it's so expensive for people anyway - otherwise it's just another potential reason for people to think "I'll save my money this weekend..."

Don't buy anything in the ground, I never do. It's overpriced, and generally very poor quality.

And if I buy a bottle of pop I might not want to drink it all in one go.

How do they expect people to spend money when a lot of the time there is nothing there.There has been no pepper to put in a bovril drink for the last few games.Just simple stuff like that makes a difference.

Due to travelling and time constraints some people do not have the chance for a drink and snack before arriving in the ground. Before the game, or during half time, they are the captive customers for drinks/snacks whilst others like myself can use the facilities in Burslem town. For some that is not a big deal and the Vale is all that matters, but others who only come for odd games with mates, etc are disappointed, which reduces the chances of more visits. Although Vale may not get money directly from the caterers, the matchday experience is what brings the money in, anything that makes people less happy at a game has to be sorted. I assume there is a contract with conditions.

Due to travelling and time constraints some people do not have the chance for a drink and snack before arriving in the ground. Before the game, or during half time, they are the captive customers for drinks/snacks whilst others like myself can use the facilities in Burslem town. For some that is not a big deal and the Vale is all that matters, but others who only come for odd games with mates, etc are disappointed, which reduces the chances of more visits. Although Vale may not get money directly from the caterers, the matchday experience is what brings the money in, anything that makes people less happy at a game has to be sorted. I assume there is a contract with conditions.

That's certainly the case for me. I generally drive up and down on the day. As I'm driving, I don't go to the pub pre/post match and it's handy to grab a bite to eat at the game rather than interrupting my journey home.

I'd definitely agree that the club should do all its can to keep people happy at the games.

That's certainly the case for me. I generally drive up and down on the day. As I'm driving, I don't go to the pub pre/post match and it's handy to grab a bite to eat at the game rather than interrupting my journey home.

I'd definitely agree that the club should do all its can to keep people happy at the games.

The matchday (non-football) experience is as bad as its always been.

Archived