onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

England v Poland

For Us All

Advert

Glad I watched that game.

I wasn't going to bother, then I decided I ought to be a bit more patrio***.

One of the most lively and interesting England game I've seen in a long time--particularly that first half when the tempo of the game was tremendous. I like the mix of young and older heads in Roy's team and that first half style of play would give any national team a problem. Disappointed that Baines wasn't able to get down the left flank as attack minded as he did in the first, but all round a very good team performance!

2-0 to England

I'll even name the scorers..Sturridge and Lampard..I'll even say that the first goal will be scored after 16 minutes and the second after 28...Poland will hit the post in the second half (about the 68th minute) and have a player sent off in the last 15 minutes for two yellows. The pies at Wembley will be very nice but horrendously expensive. The squad and staff will go on a lap of honour afterwards. Roy Hodgson will have a silly grin on his face at the end but get slightly indignant about comments from Roy Keane that England will do well to get to the last eight. Adrian Chiles will make a berk of himself

Not a bad effort :)

Decent performance and a good win. We need to find someone to play on the left instead of Wellbeck and a hard working pacey defensive midfielder

Should never underestimate the likes of Poland and the Ukraine, always difficult places to go and win, add to that Montenegro who are in the midst of a golden era for players and the table ends up looking like it does (or did). If football matches went as predicted there would never be football pools!!

It doesn't make sense at all......see above!

IMO it could be seen as completely sensible to get the easier matches out of the way so that we are hopefully over the hills and far away and qualified making the last match meaningless. It didn't work out like that but that does not mean it didn't make sense at the time the decisions were made

England will not be one of the seeded teams in Brazil so we go there with low expectations.Usual suspects will be favourites in the form of Spain,Brazil,Argentina and Germany.No European team has ever won the World Cup in South America but I'll be having Belgium as my dark horse.

I thought Baines was superb last night. I also thought that Smalling did a decent job second half - first half was far too narrow. Townsend is a revelation - they do not like it up 'em!! Good job Roy and the boys.

Baines is surely nailed on based on current form

As to Townsend it's a breath of fresh air to have someone who will run past defenders and put crosses in. Someone on the TV (might have been Roy Keane..not sure) said that you won't win against the better teams by going past people and putting crosses in but for me that is a great weapon to have in your armoury.

Certainly Belgium have a lot of quality players and seem also to be well organised..they'll be difficult for anyone to beat

If there is one European team I think can have a real go at this it's Germany

I believe we have a friendly against Germany next month at Wembley?

Yup...would be a great morale boster to tonk them. Certainly a better gauge of where we are than recent matches

Would love to see Roy take a chance and play a 'proper' centre forward to get on the end of Townsend's crosses..to see how it goes and how Germany cope..although we don't have many 'proper' CFs these days to choose from

Yup...would be a great morale boster to tonk them. Certainly a better gauge of where we are than recent matches

Would love to see Roy take a chance and play a 'proper' centre forward to get on the end of Townsend's crosses..to see how it goes and how Germany cope..although we don't have many 'proper' CFs these days to choose from

Tom Pope for England ;-)

There is precedent for the 1974 WC, Poland have one of the best strikers in Europe and a supply route from Blastyercoscksy (or however its spelt) and there will be thousands of Polish fans at Wembley cheering their team on (its not going to feel like a home game for England).

England should win but this is the last scenario that should have been negotiated, I would rather us have to beat San Marino in the last match........a la Ukraine.

In 1974, Poland came to Wembley needing a point to win the group, and England needed a win. There was only one other team in the group: Wales. If England had taken maimum points from Wales, the match at Wembley would have been a dead rubber. Poland went on to finish the WC torunament in the Final group, finishing either 3rd or 4th, behind West Germany and the Netherlands.

I enjoyed it as a whole, I just wish we were more clinical. The Poles gave a good account of themselves but I think the early shot that Lewandowski pulled wide summed their night up- great build up, no final product.

Wellbeck seems to divide opinion, personally I'm not convinced. I prefer Sturridge but he is far from the finished article at International level & I think it's obvious Rooney is the key up top

I'm a big Baines fan and thought his service into the box was top draw.

Smalling looked a little nervous at times early on but you can hardly blame him. Once he settled down he was very steady.

Townsend continues to impress. He has a very fearless nature when it comes to running at the opposition and because he is so able with both his feet he makes room for himself and time for the rest of the team to catch up. His shooting is tremendous too.

As for the central two, Gerrard & Carrick, they bring a calmness that the combination of Stevie G & Lampard never did.

Archived