onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ukip

For Us All

Seems to be. The majority are still hard working individuals trying to do the best for themselves and thei families and respecting the achievements of others but I feel there are more who don't feel that way than there used to be

Society (as in other people) will look after them ;)

There will always be people with advantages..most of us in the UK have massive advantages/privileges compared to most of the world (state education, state health services etc)

Said it before that it would be good to have some documentaries/books etc showing just how hard it is to get to the top most of the time. It's incredibly hard to become a professional footballer and in the general world of entertainment most have put in years of hard slog to get anywhere, training, practicing and 'doing the clubs'. Even in business the majority start out small and slog their way to where they have got to

I think you hit the nail on the head..jealousy instead of saying "good on you, I'm going to try to do that"

Social mobility has become more difficult over the past 30 years or so but that means you have to work harder and sacrifice more to get to where you want to be.

That of course does not mean we don't look after those who cannot look after themselves..that help and safety net provided by the tax payer is something we should be proud of and cherish

Some people dont know where they want to be, they see others in a different place to them and want to be there with them, possibly because they are told thats where they should be. Some just want what others have got without knowing if thats what they want themselves. Some people work hard to get to a place others have told them they should be only to find its not where they would have chosen for themselves.

Advert

No idea as to 'the effect he was after'

I don't know..I didn't interpret it like that..simply that a major cost to the state in terms of 'state paid income' is pensions is what I read into it.

Yes its a major cost I see that but by the time I reach pension age I will have paid into it for 50 years and my concern is that labour are trying to make people see it as a benefit like any other so that they can claim to be reducing benefits when they reduce the pension. If I pay in for 50 years then get nothing back I will be livid but that looks like what is in store for me thanks to labours scandalous raid on our pesnions.

I have paid into company pensions all my working life too but that isnt the point.

All true but no reason to feel jealous of those who have got to where they want to be and to not try to get to where (you think) you wnat to be. If when you get there you want sonmething else or it's not what you really wanted then go for the something else

I don't get why anyone looks at someone who has got somehere (and that's subjecteive, getting somewhere is a personal thing) and thinks anything other than 'well done' and use them as an inspiration instead of wanting to drag them down and be jealous of them.

Yes its a major cost I see that but by the time I reach pension age I will have paid into it for 50 years and my concern is that labour are trying to make people see it as a benefit like any other so that they can claim to be reducing benefits when they reduce the pension. If I pay in for 50 years then get nothing back I will be livid but that looks like what is in store for me thanks to labours scandalous raid on our pesnions.

But as I said you don't pay in for yourself you pay in for everybody...it's not savings plan and their never have been any guarantees

However, it would be grossly unfair if people who have paid in for decades lost out to those who have not paid in. I do believe that the state pension should be higher, linked more closely to the cost of living and that it should be topped up even more for those that have made the most contributions (which is sort of is anyway)..although it will probably never match what they have paid in..but everyone should get something.

I have paid into company pensions all my working life too but that isnt the point.

Me too..not expecting much from them :(

Planning to sell the Devon mansion and retire to a static caravan in remote Scotland and live on the wife's NHS pension :)

All true but no reason to feel jealous of those who have got to where they want to be and to not try to get to where (you think) you wnat to be. If when you get there you want sonmething else or it's not what you really wanted then go for the something else

I don't get why anyone looks at someone who has got somehere (and that's subjecteive, getting somewhere is a personal thing) and thinks anything other than 'well done' and use them as an inspiration instead of wanting to drag them down and be jealous of them.

I have always looked at those ahead of me and thought if they did it, I can do it. I dont admire them as such I just measure myself against them and feel that I am as good as them so theres no reason why I cant do it too.

But as I said you don't pay in for yourself you pay in for everybody...it's not savings plan and their never have been any guarantees

However, it would be grossly unfair if people who have paid in for decades lost out to those who have not paid in. I do believe that the state pension should be higher, linked more closely to the cost of living and that it should be topped up even more for those that have made the most contributions (which is sort of is anyway)..although it will probably never match what they have paid in..but everyone should get something.

Planning to sell the Devon mansion and retire to a static caravan in remote Scotland and live on the wife's NHS pension :)

I cant really disagree with any of that.

I would like to live in Devon, its a lovely place. Maybe I could retire there but with the pension crisis and my other halfs lack of any Pension provision I suspect that may be a struggle. Havent given up though. Devon, Cornwall or Egypt would be nice

I would like to live in Devon, its a lovely place.

Careful where you choose..some parts are rrally lovely but it has it's not so nice parts too

Maybe I could retire there but with the pension crisis and my other halfs lack of any Pension provision I suspect that may be a struggle. Havent given up though. Devon, Cornwall or Egypt would be nice

Egypt would be too hot for me..waaaayy too hot

A nice flat in Sidmouth needn't cost the earth (although that's relative of course) and the town has all anyone could want in retirement..with Exeter just down the road for the more 'exotic' requirements.

Maybe we'll retire to SoT and we can do a swap (kidding)

Dunna give up

Careful where you choose..some parts are rrally lovely but it has it's not so nice parts too

Egypt would be too hot for me..waaaayy too hot

A nice flat in Sidmouth needn't cost the earth (although that's relative of course) and the town has all anyone could want in retirement..with Exeter just down the road for the more 'exotic' requirements.

Maybe we'll retire to SoT and we can do a swap (kidding)

Dunna give up

Exotic? I used to work for a finance company down there and we had 'clients' in Exwick, St Thomas and Burnthouse Lane that were akin to exotic wild animals ;)

Just typical of a Norton lad?:D;)

I have always looked at those ahead of me and thought if they did it, I can do it. I dont admire them as such I just measure myself against them and feel that I am as good as them so theres no reason why I cant do it too.

Some good comments. I also think a lot of doors are shut and only people who know people ect ect can succeed in certain fields.

"Not what you know but whom" I am amazed at how many times I have heard people say it. On the flip side you also have to be positive and do what is within your personal remit. I believe the same is true when it comes to Politics-you go with what suits you best.

Which is why I firmly believe the game is up now for Labour in most deprived cities and towns- people need to hold onto hope-and that is what UKIP gives them.

Archived