onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Alternative league table

dun 4

Here's the top 10 in league 2 according to the total number of points they can possibly make if they win every remaining game.

Vale 105

Gilingham 104

Rotherham 97

Fleetwood 95

Cheltenham 94

Exeter 94

Northampton 93

Southend 92

Burton 92

Bradford 92

There's no chance anyteam other than Vale will win every game and anyway there are still quite a number of top ten clashes so points will be dropped. Its easy to keep this table as the season goes on, just deduct 2 points for every draw and 3 for a defeat. You can see Vale are 10 points ahead of 4th place and 13 ahead of 8th.

Advert

Well Vales fixtures against the team are all home so home form will be key.

Cheltenham H

Exeter H

Northampton H

Burton H

Bradford H

Gillingham's fixtures :-

Rotherham H

Fleetwood A

Cheltenham A

Exeter A

Burton A

Rotherham's fixtures :-

Gillingham A

Fleetwood H

Cheltenham A

Exeter H

Southend A

Bradford A

Fleetwoods fixtures are:-

Gillingham H

Rotherham A

Cheltenham H

Exeter H

Southend A

Burton H

I've done this alternate table, what teams are on at the moment and then the points totals for the last 5 years for the League Champions, Automatic places, Play Offs places and then what teams have been relegated with. I can think we can just about say we wont be getting relegated this season anyway...

97 (Champions 07/08)

93 (Champions 09/10 & 11/12)

88 (Promotion 07/08)

86 (Champions 10/11)

85 (Champions 08/09)

84 (Promotion 11/12)

82 (Promotion 09/10)

80 (Promotion 10/11)

78 (Play offs 07/08) (Promotion 08/09)

72 (Play Offs 09/10 & 11/12)

69 (Play Offs 08/09)

68 (Play Offs 10/11)

60 Port Vale

59 Gillingham

52 Cheltenham

50 Burton, Fleetwood

49 Rotherham, Exeter

48 Northampton

47 Southend (Relegation 10/11)

44 Bradford (Relegation 09/10 & 11/12)

43 Chesterfield

42 Wycombe, Morecambe (Relegation 07/08)

41 Dagenham

39 Oxford

38 York, Rochdale

37 Torquay (Relegation 08/09)

35 Bristol Rovers

32 Accrington, Plymouth

30 Aldershot, Barnet

28 Wimbledon

This makes no sense at all. It's physically impossible for it to happen. How can every team win all their games? Who's going to lose? It's alright to judge the largest points total each team could accumulate but like I say, it's physically impossible that a team will win 15 games in a row at this level, especially with how tight and competitive this division is this season.

Daft, this is. Why not just get on with it and stop worrying who/why/what everyone else is going to do! Vale are top and will know each club have a job to better what we do and try and catch us. Stop all this conjecture/silly hypothetical league chart building etc and concentrate on Vale alone. We will do it. The only question we need to be asking is if we get promoted as Champs or not.

This makes no sense at all. It's physically impossible for it to happen. How can every team win all their games? Who's going to lose? It's alright to judge the largest points total each team could accumulate but like I say, it's physically impossible that a team will win 15 games in a row at this level, especially with how tight and competitive this division is this season.

It doesn't say they'll all win every game, thats impossible but it shows how many points Vale are ahead, not so easily reckoned on the usual league table when you hae to take into account games in hand etc.

Team..............Played....Points

Gillingham..........13.........29

Port Vale...........12.........21

Northamton.......13.........17

Rotherham........12.........16

Fleetwood.........12.........15

Burton..............12.........14

Cheltenham.......10.........13

Exeter...............10.........13

Southend...........13........13

Bradford............11........11

[Rolf Harris]Can you tell what it is yet?[/Rolf Harris]

Its ****** easy!!! Look at the league table as it stands and THAT is how many points we are ahead. Games in hand aren't 3 points; the team has to win them. Stop talking nonsense! :razz:

Spot on, Bails. All that matters is what the table looks like now. We can all guess and predict, but it never ends up how we expect. It's more exciting when you let it all unfold itself.

Would love us to get 100 points but I think that's a bit too much to ask, especially in a League where anyone can beat anyone else on their day it's extremely difficult even if we have been the most consistent so far.

The main aim has to be promotion then if we can Champions, 100 goals and Popey to get the goal record(s). If that happens it will have been a great season and excuse my french but I'll be ****ing delighted!

8 clubs fighting for 5 places at the moment from 3rd down and it is so close i think all of them have been 3rd at sometime so i just hope we dont get dragged down into that group, very unlikely but football is so unpredicatable.

If people want to speculate, that is fine, a part of the celebration of a good season. It is a very valid point that was made that the opening post table cannot happen for every team - if Gillingham win all their games (which of course they wont) and get 104 points then they will have beaten Rotherham, Fleetwood and Cheltenham in doing so, so Rotherham cant get their shown maximum. Many other top teams v top team games mean that even if one club have a fantastic run, some others have to pay for it.

My own view is that 72 points will be very adequate for a playoff place (which at this stage would be a massive disappointment- nevertheless, when we pass this milestone it will be nice) and about 84 should easily be sufficent for promotion, though the total could well be a bit less.

It is true that it is all down to Vale's results and not other teams though, and 7 more wins with 3 draws and 5 defeats sounds very possible, and that would give the 84 points.

If we project the 60 points we have so far from 31 games, then maintaining the same rate of progress would see Vale end with a healthy and probably Champions winning total of 89 points.

After all that, I'm just going to forget about it for a while and enjoy the glow of doing well, without getting too distracted by an odd unusual result for us or anyone else.

Archived