• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Best Port Vale XI you have seen

Angel of Burslem

Now I think you have all missed someone out of your team selections.

The best player to pull on a Vale shirt by a country mile.

If you can't think who it is, take a look at my avatar.

Bet your singing it now aren't you BERNIE, BERNIE SLAVEN, BERNIE, BERNIE SLAVEN, BERNIE, BERNIE SLAVEN.

Advert:

Now I think you have all missed someone out of your team selections.

The best player to pull on a Vale shirt by a country mile.

If you can't think who it is, take a look at my avatar.

Bet your singing it now aren't you BERNIE, BERNIE SLAVEN, BERNIE, BERNIE SLAVEN, BERNIE, BERNIE SLAVEN.

Great player but his stint was all too brief and I'd rather Foyle or Naylor anyway

Good thread.

I'd go with:

Goodlad

Aspin

Glover

Gardner

Tankard

Ainsworth

Ian Taylor

Bogie

Guppy

Foyle

Naylor

Really tough one in centre of midfield especially, I could have picked Ray Walker, Robin van der Laan and Andy Porter too. I probably didn't quite see Ray Walker in his prime as I started following Vale 1992(first match 1993) but I still saw glimpses of quality. The ball he put over for Guppy who then crossed for Naylor to score at Molineaux and his goal in the fog against Palace! Class!

McCarthy would obviously run Ainsworth close on the right wing

I'm not sure about Aspin at RB but can't really think of another defender I'd put in. Andy Hill was steady but I'm not sure I'd put in my greatest Vale team!

The last decade obviously no where near as good but an honourable mention for McPhee and Brooker upfront in 03/04. I thought their partnership was class at times and it's a shame we didn't quite make the playoffs/go up, it then got broken up the season after and it's been downhill until recently!

Why do folk go on about Steggles so much ? His defensive work was OK but his distribution was woeful . Of course he was in the side that beat Tottenham and performed valiantly.

Ebanks was woeful all round.

I wasn't nominating Steggles as a great player but rather as a contender as one of the worst fullbacks we've had (although I'll admit, Pearson was far worse).

I think Steggles' lasting cult appeal is because he played through luck (or rather Alan Webb's bad luck), rather than skill in one of Vale's greatest-ever 90 minutes.

Advert:

Barry sidall he is one of the worst players I have ever seen in a vale shirt remember going to bury on Boxing Day 1984 he was totally responsible for our 4 nil loss. He returned to vale for a friendly took off his green shirt to reviel his new club joke city top

Sunderland actually put Baz in the 'cult hero' bracket :doh:

Tsk! Where's the dream full-back pairing of Ebanks and Steggles?

Although, I admit, Pearson is a good shout for the worst Vale player I have seen...

We seem to have had loads of awful fullbacks over the years - Agboola was pretty dreadful too.

I thought this was the best X1 not worst...

There have been far worse keepers than Boswell - Reg Edwards , Pearce, the idiot who played at Enfield (Cherry?).

McDonald would walk into that team. Honourable mention too for peter Farrell.

Edwards wasa pig farmer from Oswestry I recall and dire, but I tried to pick the "big" names. That said, the other keepers, and other players named were all *****. Clayt is far non-worse than Delgado and Pollard. The latter who is down there with Pearson as the worst ever.

Advert:

Walk Lge 2 with these?

Pilkington

Agbola Miles

Slater Delgado Holwyn

Tudor Brown Mc Innes

Guy Glover (D)

Perry

Pilks(2) and Slater plus Guy and Perry could walk in to any side that wanted to lose. You forget, dont you, how many **** players we have had over the years.

I wasn't nominating Steggles as a great player but rather as a contender as one of the worst fullbacks we've had (although I'll admit, Pearson was far worse).

I think Steggles' lasting cult appeal is because he played through luck (or rather Alan Webb's bad luck), rather than skill in one of Vale's greatest-ever 90 minutes.

I know you werent! I was saying he wasnt that bad.

I admit the list I submitted would not be among the top 1000 Port Vale players ever. BUT Bob Delgado was always exceptionaly good when he played against us for Chester. If my memorys correct Vale signed him for 30k in the mid 70s and we were suitably impressed. A six two thrashing at Barnsley on Boxing Day was not one of Bobs best performances and sadly he did not improve?

Advert:

McDonald isn't that bad, to put him in a worst Vale 11 is wrong in the extreme! Jermaine Holwyn could barely stand up and Chris Slater was dire too, getting outstriped for pace by a 30+ odd year old Simon Yeo against Macc was embarassing!

Worst in the centre of midfield would be the infamous MacKenzie and Davidson partnership at Bury in the 3-0 defeat under Glover!

Anyway back on topic Jan Jansson deserves an honourable mention in midfield imo, class player! Certainly gets my wildcard or unsung hero entry onto the subs bench!:D

Archived