• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Best Port Vale XI you have seen

Angel of Burslem

With all the positivity flying around at the moment it has reminded me of years gone by and some of the great players we have had. What is your best XI that you have actually seen? I started in 1985 so here's mine:

Neal

Aspin

Glover

Gardiner

McCarthey

Guppy

Earle

Taylor

Walker

Foyle

Beckford

Playing 3-5-2 to hit all the midfielders I wanted on there! Close calls for Goodlad, Ainsworth and prob some obvious ones I've missed!

Advert:

Mark Goodlad

Andy Hill

Dean Glover

Neil Aspin

Allen Tankard

Steve Guppy

Robbie Earle

Ian Taylor

Jon McCarthy

Martin Foyle

Darren Beckford.

Thats hard.

So many greats left out.

My all time favourite player Jan Jansson, Ray Walker, Van Der Laan, Bogie, Phil Sproson, Naylor, Andy Jones, the list goes on. Not forgetting some of the quality we have had towards the end of their careers. Bernie Slaven and Ron Futcher to name two.

Great thread.

Really makes you think - it's hard to compare players, especially with them being in different divisions. I've picked Foyle and McPhee up front, but I'm not sure if these two would work well together - especially not in division 4. Someone like Pope might get a shout alongside one of them, but he isn't in there (yet).

Arch, forgot about Van Der Laan... Now would I drop Walker or Earle for him? If only we had that choice!

Advert:

I saw my first game in 1982.

1.Jim Arnold.

2. Neil Aspin.

3. Darren Hughes.

4. Bob Hazel.

5. Dean Glover.

6.Ian Bogie.

7.Ian Taylor.

8. Martin Foyle.

9. Andy Jones.

10.Jon McCarthy.

11. Steve Guppy.

Subs. Barry Siddall, Robbie Earle, Darren Beckford. Andy Hill, Peter Barnes.

Advert:

Barry sidall he is one of the worst players I have ever seen in a vale shirt remember going to bury on Boxing Day 1984 he was totally responsible for our 4 nil loss. He returned to vale for a friendly took off his green shirt to reviel his new club joke city top

I forgot about the Stoke City top, I've just dropped him. Lol.

Advert:

We seem to have these threads fairly regularly and I guess if you look back, non of mine are ever the same, but for now, here goes :

Jim Arnold

Andy Hill

Wayne Cegielski (sp?)

Dean Glover

Chris Sulley

Mark Chamberlain

Robbie Earle

Johhny Green

Steve Guppy

Andy Jones

Martin Foyle

Subs