• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Best Port Vale XI you have seen

Angel of Burslem

I admit the list I submitted would not be among the top 1000 Port Vale players ever. BUT Bob Delgado was always exceptionaly good when he played against us for Chester. If my memorys correct Vale signed him for 30k in the mid 70s and we were suitably impressed. A six two thrashing at Barnsley on Boxing Day was not one of Bobs best performances and sadly he did not improve?

As I recall, although it ended 6-2, I was under the impression it could have finished 2-6. Although it was long long ago and bliddy cold too!

Advert:

Hamilboy and Elderbezza - I go back to 1957 and totally agree with your views - Roy Sproson, of course, but the mercurial John Green is a top selection. Best keeper has to be Ken Hancock my childhood hero whose mobile number is still listed in my phone simply as 'Hero'

I would always have Andy Porter in my side as no-one ever enjoyed playing against him - ask the Stokies.

We've had some great goalscorers of course and how do you pick two from Cliff Portwood, Steve Mcphee, Bert Llewelyn, Darren Beckford, Andy Jones and 'there's only one tin Foyle' - however, as a partnership I think I would go for Foyley running the line and winning the free kicks and scoring 20 a season alongside barnstormer himself Andy Jones who could do no wrong for me after turning Steve Bould 25 yards out and blasting one in at the Victoria Ground on his debut in a pre-season 'friendly'.

John Rowland would be worth a punt or two out wide along with the likes of Stevie Fox and Gareth Ainsworth or Dickie Cunliffe and Harry Oscroft but at the end of the day Guppy and Mcarthy for giving me the greatest goal I've seen at the Vale. My God I've left out Mark Chamberlain!

To make this a bit easier could we pick two sides Rudgie's Vale v The Rest?

Archived