• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Best Port Vale XI you have seen

Angel of Burslem

Advert:

There's very little point trying to be controversial at these times, the records speak for themselves. I'll go:

Goodlad

(S)Mills Aspin Glover Tankard

McCarthy Porter Taylor Guppy

Foyle Naylor

Subs: Neal, Swan, Earle, Ainsworth, Beckford

-My first proper, full season was 1990 and so I only really got one full campaign (albeit after a few years of going to some matches) of Earle & Beckford, hence why they are on the bench.

- I missed Ray Walker out simply because I enjoyed watching Taylor play (I associate him & his two years with us with success & winning) and I think Andy Porter sums everything about Port Vale up. Not the classiest or most skillful but a fighter who played with his heart on his sleeve and never gave up. Oh and he didn't make the sub bench because Robbie Earle was alright wasn't he!

- I was torn between Tanks & Darren Hughes and I wish I could have squeezed in Slaven, Van Der Laan, John Jeffers, Bogie, Gardener and Sandeman

****** Hell Hamilboy.....some names to conjure with there....Johnny Rowland, what a player, John Green...two of my all time favourites...still conner make me mind up about favourite 11....Ron Wilson at LB, Johnny James up front...Jeez this is hard!

Yes there is some names sorry to miss out askey, jackson, cunliffe,poole, and ernie moss my all time favorite player though was john rowland very fast with a very hard shot,although as a young lad i always liked watching a little known left winger named Dennis fiddler those were the days.

I've been going since 1980 and my eleven is:

Goodlad

Mills

Aspin

Glover

Hughes

Ainsworth

Walker

Earle

Guppy

Foyle

Jones

I've also discounted Southall (although he was superb) as he was only on loan for a short time.

I'd have Taylor, Porter, Sproson (P), Beckford and Naylor on my subs bench

Boswell

Osborne, Delgado, Pollard, Pearson

Woolfall,Gore, Exodus, Proudlove

Owen, Davies(Geoff)

Tsk! Where's the dream full-back pairing of Ebanks and Steggles?

Although, I admit, Pearson is a good shout for the worst Vale player I have seen...

We seem to have had loads of awful fullbacks over the years - Agboola was pretty dreadful too.

Advert:

Such a shame for Michael Walsh, as he really could have been an all time great if iy wasn't for injuries. Oh well, here goes...

Marc Goodlad

Neil Aspin

Anthony Gardner

Dean Glover

Allen Tankard

Jon McCarthy

Ian Taylor

Robin van der Laan

Steve Guppy

Martin Foyle

Tony Naylor

That's probably my favourite. A few toss ups on who to include/not include, but thats probably the best ive seen!! :)

Hard to leave Goober out though!

Boswell

Osborne, Delgado, Pollard, Pearson

Woolfall,Gore, Exodus, Proudlove

Owen, Davies(Geoff)

There have been far worse keepers than Boswell - Reg Edwards , Pearce, the idiot who played at Enfield (Cherry?).

McDonald would walk into that team. Honourable mention too for peter Farrell.

Tsk! Where's the dream full-back pairing of Ebanks and Steggles?

Although, I admit, Pearson is a good shout for the worst Vale player I have seen...

We seem to have had loads of awful fullbacks over the years - Agboola was pretty dreadful too.

Why do folk go on about Steggles so much ? His defensive work was OK but his distribution was woeful . Of course he was in the side that beat Tottenham and performed valiantly.

Ebanks was woeful all round.

Such a shame for Michael Walsh, as he really could have been an all time great if iy wasn't for injuries. Oh well, here goes...

Here we go again . Anyone who plays 10 games a season is an actual hindrance to the team and a liability because of the disruption it causes. He would therefore have to be a candidate for the worst team

Advert:

Here we go again . Anyone who plays 10 games a season is an actual hindrance to the team and a liability because of the disruption it causes. He would therefore have to be a candidate for the worst team

He had undoubted ability. Are you seriously questioning that? Yes, I do agree that through his worst phase of injuries, he was definitely a hinderance.. However, you cannot deny that if he was more fortunate, there is a large chance he could have made it relatively big in the game! The same with Goodlad.

I bet there will be more that agree with me, than disagree :)

He had undoubted ability. Are you seriously questioning that? Yes, I do agree that through his worst phase of injuries, he was definitely a hinderance.. However, you cannot deny that if he was more fortunate, there is a large chance he could have made it relatively big in the game! The same with Goodlad.

I bet there will be more that agree with me, than disagree :)

I agree with you but that doesnt make him a part of the best Vale team ever. On that basis you would have to consider Alan Oakes, Stanley Matthews , Mel Charles, Eric Skeels etc.

Barry sidall he is one of the worst players I have ever seen in a vale shirt remember going to bury on Boxing Day 1984 he was totally responsible for our 4 nil loss. He returned to vale for a friendly took off his green shirt to reviel his new club joke city top

I remember that. It was during some half time Penalty prize

Think you're missing my point. I only mentioned him in a passing breath. I never said he was/should be part of the best Vale team, just that if it weren't for injuries, he could have gone onto have a great career; with or without us!

My late, great Uncle Arthur Bates, who watched Vale from the 1930's/40's said when we signed Walsh, after watching his.for a.few games; "Wow, he will be a ****** good player." - after all that he had seen and the amount of moaning he did, that is one heck of a compliment, believe me!!!

He turned down Leicester City in the 1940's as well because he didnt want.to leave Stanfields! What a guy!

Jim Arnold

Simon Mills

Phil Sproson

Dean Glover

Darren Hughes

Jon McCarthy

Robbie Earle

Ray Walker

Steve Guppy

Martin Foyle

Andy Jones

Subs: Paul Musslewhite; Neil Aspin; Andy Porter; Ian Taylor; Robin Van der Laan; Tony Naylor; Darren Beckford

Advert:

Neal

Pilkington

Walsh

McCombe

Loft

Bridgey

Cummins

Rowland

Armstrong

McPhee

Sodje

I know Burt is a relative newcomer to VP and credit to him for coming at all, but deary me that's a depressing best all time XI!!!

Archived