onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Exodus on racist abuse at vale

fairportnick

Just as a sideline from this post, but with the issue of racism still in mind, I was watching the Big Match revisited the other day, from the early 80's. Crystal Palace were playing, with Vince Hilaire bombing up and down the pitch. I wondered what he was doing now, so I googled him. Wikipedia have a piece about him. About half way down the piece, he mentions about playing at Vale Park and getting shed loads of racial abuse. I'd link it in, but not sure how to! I know we still get the occasional idiot spouting off, but so glad we've moved on from those darker(no pun intended!)days. I've read the piece a few times and even though it was 30-odd years ago, I still feel embarrassed that "my Vale" got mentioned in this Wiki piece.

"Fattojappo" doesn't sound a very PC name!! Just copy and paste it or use the earthy logo with glasses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vince_Hilaire

Advert

The only people out of order that day were Vale fans, Gannon was just doing his job (poorly) didn't really warrant an assault with hot food and Exodus, again, only doing his job (poorly) did not deserve to be called a N****** either. Also, those that tried to excuse it that day and since, give your heads a wobble..it's a game of football. PErspective please.

Come on Nick, Exodus was ***** that day,[as well as the rest of the team] there were Accrington players smaller than him get higher to head the ball,and the dropping of his shorts was asking for trouble, 3..0 defeat & Gannon in charge,protests against the board,Jackson was confronted by fans too,made it a bad day for everybody.

no matter how bad a player is or behaves any abuse with regards to colour is way way way below the belt

I wasn't at Accy so I cant really comment on what went on however I remember a group of lads making monkey noises when I was at Shrewsbury (the old meadow) when we got knocked out of the JPT about 10 years ago and more recently I heard it (very briefly) at Sheff Utd in the FA Cup - both made me feel pretty low at being a Vale Fan

Come on Nick, Exodus was ***** that day,[as well as the rest of the team] there were Accrington players smaller than him get higher to head the ball,and the dropping of his shorts was asking for trouble, 3..0 defeat & Gannon in charge,protests against the board,Jackson was confronted by fans too,made it a bad day for everybody.

I didnt see the game but The Vale fans were well out of order as was Exodus it depends how much provocation can partially excuse him. Gannon of course is an ****.

Conrad was correct about my emphasis of WALK.

I actually think Exodus' ability lies somewhere in the small gap between Chilvers and MacDonald, with Chilvers the marginally better of the three.

Santa, how many headers have you actually seen MacDonald WIN, with the emphasis on WIN. His success rate is pathetic considering his size. As Deano has said several times he doesnt attack the ball. I suggest you watch a few videos , particularly the Burton game (if Zola wasnt so crap he'd have had a hatful).

"Fattojappo" doesn't sound a very PC name!! Just copy and paste it or use the earthy logo with glasses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vince_Hilaire

Ta for the help on posting Tonyh! Had the nickname for years. Something to do with me closing my eyes when I smile/laugh and being a tad "stocky". A smiling Sumo if you will! Still, New Year........new diet! Just hope Vale get more points than I can have at Weigh****chers.

I think racism has much reduced in society and football in the last 20 years, but there is still some around and I understand there were some incidents when Exodus G was here. The Accrington game seems to have been a focus of that, but I was not there.

The underpinning issue with ExG is that he was a poor player. He was not good enough to play for Port Vale at League 2 level. He was also brought in by a white manager who quickly lost the team and fans because of his poor judgement and his narcissistic personality disorder.

Now I am comfortable saying what I just said about a white manager as a white person. I would expect Jim Gannon to find this highly offensive and particularly if what I said is correct. Suppose Jim Gannon was black, then although I have said nothing racist, he would have the opportunity to make a complaint that I had and set off an investigation.

There is another issue about diversity as well. When I talk to my kids it is clear they have little or no cognizance of race in their thinking. So, for example, it appears that my son's current girlfriend in Australia is oriental in background. That is of interest to me and relevant to the way I view things, it is something I am not against at all, but given all my life experience I need to come to terms with it. I would imagine this does not even enter my son's head and he sees no difference in her from anyone else. It is important therefore that modern views about racism, which more or less don't acknowledge any physical, appearance or cultural differences, are not imposed unduly on older people who are not ready to adopt that stance and will evaluate the impact of race in any situation. It does not make older people like me racist, it is about the experience of life we have gone through.

I am sure ExG had an unpleasant time at Port Vale and most of that derives from him playing football as a professional and failing, attaching himself to a manager who himself had serious issues and coming to a club already in inherent turmoil. I think the vast majority of Vale fans were actually very tolerant of his poor play and moaned between themselves or to themselves in relative silence. But the fans were attached to the ambition of potential promotion and certainly became frustrated when that possibility was taken away by inept management including bringing in ExG who in addition was not even fit when signed.

Archived