onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Exodus on racist abuse at vale

fairportnick

As in i only heard 1 person (as did everyone else)

P.s I once heard a turtle talking to a sparrow about a knights templer book he had just read...i heard it so it must be true :)

REP clearly states he heard 3 people. How can you know what EVERYONE else heard?

Some people are showing themselves up on this thread. It's embarrassing.

Advert

I think it is worth expressing an older person's perspective on race. Some of the views of people earlier I understand, but they are not taking in to account the reality of life's experiences. Today, with good community integration and mixed personal relationships being common, it is difficult to see any defensiveness about race and culture as reasonable. But many older people in the population (and I am 54) did not start from the same situation.

I first encountered briefly a black person by ethnic origin in the early 1960's when I was 4/5. I did not see any more until the mid 1970's. There were none in my school. I first encountered a person from Indian / Pakistani background at school in about 1974. I gained a Grade A O level in religious education and yet received no understanding at all of Islam, Hinduism or Buddhism etc.

From all of this I progressed to adulthood with no knowledge and considerable suspicion of other ethnic cultures. The inevitable stance to take in that situation is to regard them as outsiders.

in my graduate level education, that significantly changed as i interacted with people from many backgrounds. Nonetheless, the interaction always had some predication that this was different ethnic groups and people. This was the case for all parties. We did see ourselves as coming from different backgrounds.

It is undoubtedly true that football at this time in the late 1970's and 1980's was full of race hatred and frankly none more so than the Boothen End at Stoke. A lot of the people attending Stoke games in those days were wanting to fight pretty much anyone. I found Vale Park a much more pleasant place and this explains my gradual drift towards being primarily a Port Vale dedicated supporter.

Through work I have encountered people from many backgrounds and pretty much all concerns about ethnic issues have broken down in my mind. But I still do see people as coming from different backgrounds and do consider how this impacts on their outlook. I feel a lot of issues about race today are not really about race. They are about religion. I do try to accommodate people's different religions and in fact I have a charity role in an organization with a fundamentally different religion than me. But in the end a lot of religious beliefs are in my view wrong. I think obsessions with sex and controlling sex in religion are wrond. So for example, I think the CofE decision of homosexual priests is wrong.

But where religion is right consistently is opposition to abortion. That is the destroying of 6 million lives since abortion was legalized in the UK. Whilst people have relatively trivial discussions on here about whether Ex G was insulted or not, the slaughter of unborn children goes on.

I thought there was a video of the incident. As bad as he was, he did become a scale goat because of gannon. And McDonald is no better.

Ex G has no skill beyond long ball throw ins. McDonald is good in the air and when positioned correctly in the middle of the goal defends well in the air and on the ground. It is obvious that a big man like him will be exposed when left one on one on the deck with space behind. McDonald is very good on the ball for a big man and capable of a forward dribble on occasions as well. He is 100 times better than Ex G.

Because hes still banging on about a very smallscale isolated incident 2 years on!

Might be small scale to you, but if I'd been racially abused and no-one was held to account, I'd be unhappy.

And "banging on" implies he does nothign but talk about the incident. If he's been approached by a national newspaper for an article, he's every right to talk about his experiences, just as any other racially-abused player has the right to, no matter how long ago it happened. Just as any player can talk about anything in their career

But where religion is right consistently is opposition to abortion. That is the destroying of 6 million lives since abortion was legalized in the UK. Whilst people have relatively trivial discussions on here about whether Ex G was insulted or not, the slaughter of unborn children goes on.

"Relatively trivial?" You being serious?

Thanks for the RE class BTW.

Smallscale! This sums up your views on this.

So one (REP says 3) people in an away following of nearly a thousand is not smallscale? Just watch the video again and listen and it is obvious what the fans are shouting about and it isnt Geoghan's colour.

REP clearly states he heard 3 people. How can you know what EVERYONE else heard?

Some people are showing themselves up on this thread. It's embarrassing.

I was refering to the video where most people heard it once,there is of course a chance that the same person said it more than once.

And who is showing themselves up???? this is a forum to discuss stuff isnt it? and you are embarresed because some people see things a bit different than you? Shame that. UTV

Archived