onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Youth Academy

Coskickabo

Any system will take a number of years to introduce properly. So talk of Adams is pointless as he probably won't be with us. Starting now though, means future managers need to be appointed that fit in with the club ethos (whatever that is to be) as opposed to changing from manager to manager (as mentioned in the thread about this last week). The club should have an idea about what we want and the manager fits into that. I don't buy into the whole, 'manager makes every football decision' nonsense, as we end up starting from scratch with every managerial appointment and making no progress.
The Swansea way, decide on your style and pick managers to suit the style. Changes do happen, Arsenal brought in Wenger to change from 1-0 to entertainment.

Advert

The Swansea way, decide on your style and pick managers to suit the style. Changes do happen, Arsenal brought in Wenger to change from 1-0 to entertainment.

Of course, but that was a change for the better. Wenger revolutionised English football, never mins arsenal. Can't see them appointing an allardyce type manager in the near future now though.

Of course, but that was a change for the better. Wenger revolutionised English football, never mins arsenal. Can't see them appointing an allardyce type manager in the near future now though.[/quote

Hang on Andy. West Ham have been renowned for their silky brand of football and look who's managing them now!!

Of course, but that was a change for the better. Wenger revolutionised English football, never mins arsenal. Can't see them appointing an allardyce type manager in the near future now though.[/quote

Hang on Andy. West Ham have been renowned for their silky brand of football and look who's managing them now!!

He was appointed to get them back to the prem however possible. You know what I'm getting at though. The club should have a long term ethos, and appoint to fit in with that, as opposed to starting from scratch with every manager.

the academy is doing ok now, four parents were called in the other week to tell them their lads were being scouted by the likes of man city/liverpool
This is the reason why the Academy idea is a 'pie in the sky' idea because as Deano says Vale have lads being watched by some of the Big Boys who will whisk them off and give us 'peanuts' in return. The FA's ruling has indicated the 'death kneel' for the likes of Crewe but they don't appear to get it!. The gravy train is pulling out of Crewe station. Their academy will become a 'millstone around their neck' unless the Big Clubs relent and there is 'Bob Hope' of that happening is there!

I think for our academy to be commercially viable we may need to specialize in taking on kids who perhaps fell by the wayside at bigger academies but who could come to Vale to earn a second chance. I'm thinking rough diamonds, late developers (physically)... that sort of thing.

I think for our academy to be commercially viable we may need to specialize in taking on kids who perhaps fell by the wayside at bigger academies but who could come to Vale to earn a second chance. I'm thinking rough diamonds, late developers (physically)... that sort of thing.

Mentioned similar thing the other week. Instead of employing coaches and throwing money at kids, throw it at a transitional team maybe. Build a good reputation that attracts the best of these players. However, it's not as simple as just setting it up. Everyone needs to buy into such a thing, from the fans giving it a chance, the first team, and the management team.

Mentioned similar thing the other week. Instead of employing coaches and throwing money at kids, throw it at a transitional team maybe. Build a good reputation that attracts the best of these players. However, it's not as simple as just setting it up. Everyone needs to buy into such a thing, from the fans giving it a chance, the first team, and the management team.

The management are only interested in the first team. Forget the rest.

The reason Crewe have a successful academy is because they attract the best talent, as parents know their kids will get a chance. Ask Popey why as a Vale fan through and through he started at Crewe. Adams would go for experience every time.

Crewe signed him from Biddulph after Vale released him.

If you think about 1 in 10 Premier League youngsters gets offered a professional contract then that's a lot of talent for Vale to tap in to. As much as it's great for teams produce home grown talent the current system is so heavily weighed towards the big boys I don't think it's financially viable in Vale's current position.
Talking sense there Tunsta:yes:

isnt that a tie in with george fosters old job ?

Archived