onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Youth Academy

Coskickabo

There is also a community/educational aspect to an academy, most players will never become professionals, but will learn skills to play football as a hobby. I am sure Wildes has his ideas about this with his educational, etc interests and the need to build up community links. Of course it has to be viable, and we have to cut our cloth, and take on students on all levels and previous experience, nor can we expect instant success. But try we must.

Advert

If you think about 1 in 10 Premier League youngsters gets offered a professional contract then that's a lot of talent for Vale to tap in to. As much as it's great for teams produce home grown talent the current system is so heavily weighed towards the big boys I don't think it's financially viable in Vale's current position.

Don't we do that anyway? Anyon came from Blackburn, Morsy from Wolves...etc?

Having seen both set ups the problem is not the talent available or ability of the kids, it's the way they are developed and coached. To work at Crewes academy all staff have to have represented the club or been part of the academy to work there, age groups are separated and train on different nights not as one massive body on a Tues and Friday night on a carpeted concrete surface coached by the cheapest option, as they say you get out what you put in. I am Vale through and through and it pains me to say it we chose the other lot down the A500. Sevi Aslam is a top bloke and a good man but has had his hands tied for a long time I only hope now we will see the Port Vale Academy rise under his guidance and produce some quality footballers.

Some times I think its better to pick up young lads who are experiencing 1st team football at a lower level e.g. Nantwich, Newcastle, Leek, Stafford. There's some decent, young lads playing football for semi-pro teams who are also experiencing 'adult football' at an OK level. Most of the lads that will come in from Vales youth team will have the quality but won't have the experience of adults football (which is a lot different) because they've never been given the chance and Adams wont persist with them. Newcastle Town are very strong on their youth set up, their Reserves side are mainly full of lads from 17-20 and their 1st team is full of lads released from the likes of Stoke, Crewe around their 20's. Whilst they may not be getting great results, they are developing players that could fit into a professional set up.

The new owners' plans to set up a youth academy is a laudable idea but will it be wasted on Adams. Let's face it, his record in bringing young players through the ranks is not very impressive. It seems as though he prefers to bring in 'seasoned' players with no potential rather than giving the youngsters a chance. I note for example that neither Lloyd nor Davies were on the bench yesterday. What do they have to do to earn a chance? It must be very dispiriting for them. Is it that they just aren't good enough or is it another example of Adams' short sighted attitude. Comments please.

You are turning into the new Burslem Academicals! ;)

His record ain't world class but no-one other than Gradi locally is! He has given first chances to Morsy, Lloyd, Davis, persisted with the crap that was Anyon and Martin (then saw the light) and has also given promise to James (even though he came through with the Blunts).

The idea of this improvement in our woeful youth set up is to provide better quality surely which will enable him the opportunity to bring them through and not just for the sake of it until they scuttle off to the non-league circuit like the massive successes that were Glover, Richman (as much as I liked him), Briscoe, Davidson, Anyon, Martin, Malbon et al.

Archived