onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Connecticut Shooting

davehartshill

Advert

How tragic. Even worse that 20 children won't be at home for Christmas. How could anybody do something like this?? So upsetting.

Americans need to take a long hard look at their gun laws. How many innocent people have to die before they do something about it??

The gun laws need changing asap but a change in the law to remove the 300 milliion odd guns that are Known to be in circulation in the USA is just not pragmatic and changing the 2nd ammendment won't happen any time soon if ever. The 2nd ammendment gives the right to own and bear arms and was written hundreds of years ago when automatic/semi automatic weapons weren't available. There should be a ban on individual ownership of automatic/semi automatic/rapiid fire weapons immediately and an amnesty or at the very least legislation to restrict ownership and make this type of weapong much less accessible. Legislation needs to be introduced to tighten up on the laws/rules/background checks for gun ownership as 40% of guns are sold without any background checks whatsoever.

The issue is the NRA and the politicians who support it, their view to pevent shootings like those seen recently is to put more guns on the street, its totally bewildering to see a senior figure from the NRA argue using this logic on tv. The paradox is the majority of Americans and indeed the majority of members of the NRA want legislation to change the gun laws and limit accessibility to guns but nothing is done, hardly surprising when the leadership of the NRA/politicians have such a view. Sadly even changes like the above probably wouldn't prevent what happened in Connecticut but may have limited the number of victims.

The shooter is from a very affluent family and would have had easy access to some of the best health care, including mental health care and counseling, available on the planet. A woman (the mother) owning and keping semi-automatic rifles, a total of six firearms, in her home is shocking.

The events in Connecticut are just too painful to bear for anyone let alone the families of the victims. I'm sure Obama wants to make a change and he has the courage but whether he has sufficient support is another question.

Thoughts are with the relatives, the parents and the children without them.

As for gun control, despite being a shooter even I can see it being sensible to limit the number of rounds a gun can hold. These incidents are awful and have the effect of tarring all shooters with the same brush - ie the ones who don't go around pointing at people or pretending to be gangsters. The guns laws in the UK did nothing to stop gun crime, but in the US there is a socio-psychological bias to guns. The article focusing on the gun man's mother states she kept the guns in case of home invasion. If she felt safer by having multiple guns and purely for protection what does this say about everyone else in the US? The police? The health authorities?

Whilst implementing gun laws is the US is next door to impossible I hope this won't distract the people and politicians of what really needs addressing. I doubt it though.

the press are making this tragedy out to be collateral damage, vested interests in the gun lobby will make sure that the 2nd ammendment is never altered. just waiting for the next loony to go one better, killing a classroom of children and their teachers is their way of going out in a blaze of glory?????????????????, and his mother kept the guns for her own safety !!!!!!!!!!! she was the first to go, it seems that yanks are their own worst enemy. thats my opinion fellas, don't slate me for it.:shutup:

This quote from Morgan Freeman (missattributed or not) sums it up for me.

You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single *victim* of Columbine? Disturbed

people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim"

and a few heroes: Kaitlin Roig, for example.

Thoughts are with the relatives, the parents and the children without them.

As for gun control, despite being a shooter even I can see it being sensible to limit the number of rounds a gun can hold. These incidents are awful and have the effect of tarring all shooters with the same brush - ie the ones who don't go around pointing at people or pretending to be gangsters. The guns laws in the UK did nothing to stop gun crime, but in the US there is a socio-psychological bias to guns. The article focusing on the gun man's mother states she kept the guns in case of home invasion. If she felt safer by having multiple guns and purely for protection what does this say about everyone else in the US? The police? The health authorities?

Whilst implementing gun laws is the US is next door to impossible I hope this won't distract the people and politicians of what really needs addressing. I doubt it though.

Read my post. One word: Money.

When there are 300 million guns in circulation, the constitution has a right to carry arms, there is a powerful gun lobby and a large proportion of the population are attached to gun ownership and don't want to give them up, the president faces a difficult starting position. So he can do modestly little, or he can show leadership. He could ban the import of all guns, tax ammunition to such a level it becomes unaffordable to most people, significantly tighten the rules over ownership of guns and eliminate the worst guns, have a gun removal scheme where the population get a tax break for handing in a gun and agreeing never to own one again. The answer is not Washington which with elections every two years - pure madness - is unable to agree and do anything significant.

The other "one to blame" in this is the media.

Columbia have more firearm related deaths than the US but don't have such a media driven nation and I doubt the access to pc games is as ubiquitous either.

It's a social issue that won't be solved by banning anything. Extra tax, banning imports etc ... only hurts the legitimate users, businesses and industry. The criminals will always have them and those that particular illegal weapons.

Archived