onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Are officials against the Vale due to MA's Comments

PVFC764

Not seen any of the game last night but we have L2 standard players and so we have L2 standard officials..you should try wtaching rugby union outside of the top division..it's not like the Aviva at all levels :)

As to the Dorchester game..it was the Plymouth player who should have used his common sense..if he had done so he would not have got a second yellow

I'm sorry I don't agree on the Dorchester game, no one should be sent off for that whether on a booking or not, a quick word from the referee would suffice, it's petty in the extreme, especially that early in the game as it can hardly have been a repeat offence. If the player keeps doing it then maybe there is a case for it.

I agree on rugby though, I've watched one of my local sides whitchurch who are in north West 1 I think and the officials weren't great however Rugby is amateur standard below the top 2 leagues in England, in football we have virtually 5 professional leagues now. Should we not have professional standard officials to go with this? It shouldn't necessarily go hand in hand with the standard of the league imo. Because we are in the 4th tier of English football we should expect 4th tier refs? Why?

Advert

Our poor disciplinary record is not helping us - we are virtually at the bottom of the fair play league this season. Refs talk and the word gets round. Then on the pitch, all the free kicks we give away put us under constant pressure - it was interesting that the FGR commentators were surprised at how many free kicks we were prepared to give away in the cup tie last Saturday. Criticism of the refs also doesn't help, regardless of how justified it is. Add in a few obscene chants from the crowd and refs are bound to react against us. All terribly unfair, I know, but we have to sort this out or it will cost us dearly.

I am afraid there is nothing you can do about referees except ignore them, shake your head in disbelief at their incompetent decisions or as last night shout abuse including the infamous " you don't know what your doing".

Trouble is does the above or anything the club might do or say officially; work? Answer - very, very rarely I'm afraid hence I try to follow the first two options of ignoring them or shaking my head and hope that over a season, most things even out.

TBH, the great Brian Clough had the best remedy for referees - treat them with respect by accepting any decision with no backchat. Extremely difficult for players but Clough used it to install discipline in his teams. He would fine anybody booked for dissent to referees and probably in the end it helped because referees probably liked the way Clough's teams respected them so overall gave them probably more 50/50 decisions or better. It almost certainly helped his teams be on the whole successful.

So my own remedy for the players would be similar to Mr Clough try not to get involved in incidents even if provoked, walk away from incidents when you can and keep your mouth shut because in the end it might work in your favour because nothing else will.

I think that there should be a total rethink on the red card scenario. The reason is that when a player gets sent off the game is usually spoiled as a spectacle and the result ends up a complete farce.

If I had my way when a red card is brandished the player must be both substituted and then suspended for the stipulated games. In this way the team will not be punished for a silly indiscretion such as Morsy's last night.

"Utter tripe, got regularly fooled by 6ft+ players going down like a sack of ***** and somehow didn't send off their CB who hauled down Priskin, then proceeded to find 2 more minutes than were required for injury time."

Could've been talking about last night, but it was actually Watford in 2009.

Where did that clown get 5 mins of injury time from in the second half last night? We only had 3 mins in the first half when their guy was down and out after trying to kill JMW.

These people are representing the FA, so why do the FA not discipline/demote/sack referees like Woolmer? He's just making them a laughing stock.

Archived