onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Got to be Owen

Alan Baker

Advert

Old fashioned is probably the right description Dave.I think, as was proved by Davis,we have a centre half who can win a ball and knock it off to a Vale player in 2 movements and quickly.McCombe is ok at what he does but very limited.Maybe it's too early to put Joe in against an old sea dog like Akinfenwa,but in a race Joe would beat him hands down.Boom and Akinfenwa probably a dead heat?Owen didn't have the best of seasons last season mostly due to injury,could be the time now to give him a run out.

He is limited but he is solid. I agree that Saturday it should be Boom and Owen as we will need the strength and experience against a physical and long ball side. That pairing will deal with Akinfenwa a lot better.

Having 2 big lumbering centre backs its surprising how many headers are won in our own box by other Vale players, McCombe and McDonald should be regularly making high balls theirs, they regularly dont. Look how many free headers on goal Zola got - fotrunately he's crap.

The best defensive headers at Burton were made by Rob Taylor from very dangerous situations , excellent they were too.

We're second in the league and doing well, so I don't want to be too harsh on any of the players. But, if we go up a level, there's no way we could cope with two slow centre halves in my opinion and we would need to make sure we bought a more technical and pacy centre back.

They can do a job at this level, but I would fear for our survival in the league above with a McCombe/MacDonald centre back pairing.

Perhaps the new owner should flash a bit of cash and sign Kristian Pearce and get Lee Collins back....now that would be a centre back partnership to build from.....Owen was out of his depth and found out playing in league 1 for Stockport and the McCoombe

and MacDonald partnership is just too slow for a higher level.....just like the signing of Aspin and Glover a team is built from the back.

Now isn't the time for experimenting. Over the last two seasons Owen had Zola in his 'pocket'. Last night despite their height neither of our 'Big Macs' handled him very well. I worry that akinfenwa could bully a young centre back like Joe and so I would give Owen the nod. Falling out with players is silly especially with a squad of our size. Gaz has always given his all for the Vale.

Can you remember last season at home when we got battered by Morecambe? Owen couldn't handle Jason Price all game and we lost four nil. Thats when i realised Owen was past it. Joe should be blooded in the team , he is the future.

Listening to Adams after last nights game......I think he hinted that Owen was in the running Alan, maybe they have sat down and sorted their personal issues.

Sounded like MA's did not have a problem with him on the after game interview. Understood that Owen's was itching to play and said that.

My head says Owen, but I was impressed with Davis last night, a block and pin point long pass to Vincent in particular stood out and my heart says to give him a chance.

I don't think either would let us down, but I do think a slightly pacier centre half with a strong passing ability would be a nice change in central defence, rather than two big fellas. McCombe and Davis for me.

I agree. With his experience Owen would perhaps be the more natural choice but I think it would be good to see MA give young talent a chance. After all, at times Morsy has looked class.

How many MOMs has he got this season? The reasons we are 2nd are a)we are scoring more than opponents and b) we now have an excellent goalkeeper.Which village is missing you today?;)

thats what ive been saying all the time, if we werent scoring loads we wouldnt be anywhere near top because of the amount we are conceding.i'm not saying everyone has been rubbish, however the defence needs to be sorted asap because as soon as popey and co have a dry patch (which will happen) we are going to be in deep pooh pooh

Tough one, I think MA will move Duffy center and bring Yates in.
I saw Duffy this am at the ground and he looked like he has a bad knock, hope things improve over next couple days otherwise NO Duffy I'm afraid on Saturday.

Very tough call. Davis looked good when he came on and got first to most balls.. something which the macs and midfield failed to do for most of the match prior! Away from home in a tight stadium against Akinfenwa... tough ask! But Owen aint had much game time.

Archived