onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Sky Deal

6 hours ago, Alan Vit said:

So 248 games, is about 20 games per team per season, presumably about 10 home and 10 away.

Which leaves about 26 games per team per season, presumably about 13 home and 13 away, untelevised.

I read it that the clubs will drop some gate revenue on their home games but pick up some extra TV revenue on their away games.

Anyone got a better understanding?

That’s as good as anyone can say at this point. My concern is any “extra” revenue. I paid £140 for a video season pass. If, as I understand it, we had at least 2,000 fans having done that over the world, that’s £280,000 or the 300k right there. Add all that to the £10 one off buys domestically over the year and I just don’t see how £300k honestly helps us. I think it is a cut in money, for the club.

That’s before any cut in money from attendances thanks to the domestic nature of the deal and the fact that ultimately it is Sky that pocket any advantage from a highly viewed game. 

• Like 1

Advert

Think I'll have to hold fire on the season ticket. I work shifts and if they move a 3pm KO to 12.30 I can't go. Simple as that. Away tickets might have to be reviewed as well if a 5.30pm KO is given when is the last train back?
Think this is definitely going under the radar and the havoc it's potentially going to cause with the fixture schedule.

Sent from my CPH2195 using onevalefan mobile app

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

That’s as good as anyone can say at this point. My concern is any “extra” revenue. I paid £140 for a video season pass. If, as I understand it, we had at least 2,000 fans having done that over the world, that’s £280,000 or the 300k right there. Add all that to the £10 one off buys domestically over the year and I just don’t see how £300k honestly helps us. I think it is a cut in money, for the club.

That’s before any cut in money from attendances thanks to the domestic nature of the deal and the fact that ultimately it is Sky that pocket any advantage from a highly viewed game. 

Isn’t iFollow still going to be available to you’s folks outside the UK? Thought it was since the 300k per club Sky have paid for, is just the UK broadcast rights. It’s all very unclear and you’d have thought the club would have a better understanding of how the fans can watch them next season……and let us know.

It is a pain in arse for most fans (not me) having the last game at 12pm on a Sunday. This deal is a complete load of <ovf censored> for real fans. Great for me with earlier kick offs but in general the game has another nail in the coffin.

People will still keep attendance the shchithouse cup, encouraging the bringing down of the demise.

On 18/05/2024 at 18:09, TJHValiant said:

Just to be slightly pedantic... I don't think the iFolllow revenue will be as much as that.

A proportion (not the whole amount) of the £140 goes to Vale. Some of it goes on other things - production costs and so on. 

However, I still think the majority (I've seen it mentioned as 80%) goes to Vale and it's clearly a significant amount.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

From what I've read and understand iFollow will continue for overseas fans unchanged (I await with bated breath), the only change will be the start time of some of the games which could turn into a right pain in the butt.

I read on the iFollow website that the club does receive 80% of the iFollow subscription. I have no idea how many overseas Vale fans subscribe to IFollow.

Edited by Paul6754

I cant quite remember, but from the last time we were on live, I think that if we are on sky, then we are not on IFollow - if this is the case going forward for ex-pats, then thats a massive miss of 20 matches per season - all conjecture of course at present

11 minutes ago, Hoppers said:

I cant quite remember, but from the last time we were on live, I think that if we are on sky, then we are not on IFollow - if this is the case going forward for ex-pats, then thats a massive miss of 20 matches per season - all conjecture of course at present

It's a good point Hoppers and why I commented "I await with bated breath".  If this does happen then the games may be available on another streaming platform which we will have to pay for but this is the way sport is going at the moment. If we abide by the rule, "If the EFL can screw it up they probably will" we probably won't be far wrong.

Add to this I spend usually 6-8 weeks on cruise ships (Cheapest and best value vacation in the USA) to escape the New England winter and I pay a fortune to upgrade the on ship wifi so I can access reliable streaming to watch Vale games, it could start to  get very expensive. On a bright note ships are now being fitted with a wifi system called "Starlink" which hopefully will bring the price of ship wifi down.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

It's a good point Hoppers and why I commented "I await with bated breath".  If this does happen then the games may be available on another streaming platform which we will have to pay for but this is the way sport is going at the moment. If we abide by the rule, "If the EFL can screw it up they probably will" we probably won't be far wrong.

Add to this I spend usually 6-8 weeks on cruise ships (Cheapest and best value vacation in the USA) to escape the New England winter and I pay a fortune to upgrade the on ship wifi so I can access reliable streaming to watch Vale games, it could start to  get very expensive. On a bright note ships are now being fitted with a wifi system called "Starlink" which hopefully will bring the price of ship wifi down.

Was only saying to Mrs Hoppers earlier, the only problem with these blessed cruises is the wifi costs to watch the vale, therefore we are best sticking to a dingy on Westport Lake - she wasn't very happy, but accepts her fate  😍😍😍😍😍💗💗💗💗💗

Seriously though, the way sport is becoming more fragmented via broadcasting is scary - I know we have never had it so good in a lot of ways, but the amount of subscriptions available for sports/and or general TV broadcast streaming is scary.

"If the EFL can screw it up they probably will" - best comment today 👏👏👏🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Hoppers
  • Like 3

Gone are the days in the 60s when James Alexander Gordon read out the result of the matches all 92 teams had played on a Saturday afternoon at 5.oclock. Vale no longer kicked off at 3.15, which meant it was touch and go, whether the phone call made it in time.

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

We have starlink at work. It's pretty decent unless there happen to be solar flares going on. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Hoppers said:

Was only saying to Mrs Hoppers earlier, the only problem with these blessed cruises is the wifi costs to watch the vale, therefore we are best sticking to a dingy on Westport Lake - she wasn't very happy, but accepts her fate  😍😍😍😍😍💗💗💗💗💗

Seriously though, the way sport is becoming more fragmented via broadcasting is scary - I know we have never had it so good in a lot of ways, but the amount of subscriptions available for sports/and or general TV broadcast streaming is scary.

"If the EFL can screw it up they probably will" - best comment today 👏👏👏🤣🤣🤣

Hoppers, Hopefully Starlink will bring the prices down.

The internet and sports subscriptions etc are becoming more and more of an issue each year. Boxing has been slammed, football and Cricket not far off,  I'm a Golf nut and shudder to think what will happen when the PGA, DP tours and LIV golf work out their future direction.👍

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WV said:

We have starlink at work. It's pretty decent unless there happen to be solar flares going on. 

It's worked well for me when I've used it. Don't know much about it other than it's an off shoot of SpaceX/Elon Musk.