onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Recruitment

Jacko51

On 25/02/2024 at 12:10, Jacko51 said:

I may have missed some but I reckon these are the players we've signed since 1st January 2023. 

image.png.f32a4c7e6c28c01b104eb6c7e09a8de9.png

That's just black and white proof that even with the near disaster of last season the club didn't really go out to put money in, on paper the transfers in don't look terrible, but I mean its all loans and free transfers... god lord.. you know a squads weak when 2 19 year old midfielders literally carry the squad and couldnt be taken out (devine and arblaster).

• Like 1

Advert

What targets would you have set DF last summer? My thoughts 

Stay within budget for season

Bring in players that have potential sell on value

Develop X3 youth team players into first teamers

Build squad capable of avoiding a relegation battle

I think they are realistic goals that can be put at the foot of the DOFs door. He isn't responsible for actual results on the pitch as he can blame the manager to some extent. 

If those were his goals, I think he has achieved every one of them minus the relegation squad. Although, if Moore gets a few wins we might even get there. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Emile said:

I think they are realistic goals that can be put at the foot of the DOFs door. He isn't responsible for actual results on the pitch as he can blame the manager to some extent. 

If those were his goals, I think he has achieved every one of them minus the relegation squad. Although, if Moore gets a few wins we might even get there. 

I reckon if was given a competitive budget he might be able to put together a competitive team. I mean, we are looking at needing a miracle worker to put together a good team on a really poor budget and with extra limitations on max wage too. 

• Like 1

I don't think the squad was too bad at the start of the season. We signed Loft on deadline day which was a mistake and knowing we needed one more, signed Uche which was also a mistake. We were also missing a left back after letting Benning go.

With a half decent manager and coaching staff and DF had brought in a left back for Bennings wage and a better striker on deadline day combining Uche and Lofts wages we'd be sitting comfortably in mid table. 

The biggest mistake was not interviewing for the managers job last summer and getting a full reset

2 minutes ago, Emile said:

I don't think the squad was too bad at the start of the season. We signed Loft on deadline day which was a mistake and knowing we needed one more, signed Uche which was also a mistake. We were also missing a left back after letting Benning go.

With a half decent manager and coaching staff and DF had brought in a left back for Bennings wage and a better striker on deadline day combining Uche and Lofts wages we'd be sitting comfortably in mid table. 

The biggest mistake was not interviewing for the managers job last summer and getting a full reset

The squad was decent in the half of the season. We looked good at times but hamstrung with a defence which suffers lapses in concentration and makes stupid mistakes. We just needed a penalty box striker and we should have been comfortable mid table.

With a very weak midfield we now look horrendous even with a manager who has a good track record.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Emile said:

i hope those aims are in reverse order. Avoiding relegation has to be number 1 every season.  

9 minutes ago, Emile said:

Striking wasn't good though mate. You have alluded to that. But I don't think can say the squad wasn't too bad when other than Garrity we had little goal threat. 

Wilson came back cap in hand. Thomas unproven young lad and Harrison. 

That was our options as the season kicked in.

We then sold Harrison and replaced him with Loft. 

Staggeringly poor recruitment .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Emile said:

Why do you think the budget is so poor? Seems to be anywhere from 10th to 18th (which I think would be the realistic goal of where we'd have liked to have finished this season when asked in the summer) 

Baggers believes our budget is about 18th, that seems to be backed up by different sites who have our budget anywhere between £2.6m - £3.2m.

We won't know how much our actual budget is this season until accounts are submitted.

Recruitment well yes over 32 games this season with 31 points thus far has been very poor .

No hiding away from that however our players  are well paid professionals and the amount of folk I'm.hearing say if they cannot be arsed neither can I. 

Well in a nutshell whatever do the players think there playing at .

Some are walking around the pitch during matches no commitment desire drive or determination 

That doesn't come down to recruitment that comes down to what kind of stroke my big ego Charlie's they are .

To me there character less and seem to want take ot out on the support especially the home .

I've no doubt at end of some away games the fans who have witnessed quite a lot of inept displays since Jan 23 have unleashed a tirade of swear words at the players, but to consistently take it out on the home support with dreadful displays tells you all about the recruitment as bigger men would shove the harsh words of the away followers down there throats by winning weekly at home and delighting the where most folk come see them.

9 home defeats .

Do better next time recruitment team or resign 

UTV 

Edited by Devine intervention

1 hour ago, smithie said:

i hope those aims are in reverse order. Avoiding relegation has to be number 1 every season.  

It matters none what order they're in. They all need to be achieved or his job should be under review.

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

Striking wasn't good though mate. You have alluded to that. But I don't think can say the squad wasn't too bad when other than Garrity we had little goal threat. 

Wilson came back cap in hand. Thomas unproven young lad and Harrison. 

That was our options as the season kicked in.

We then sold Harrison and replaced him with Loft. 

Staggeringly poor recruitment .

Totally. I'm being objective and I think it could be argued that a better manager would have gotten this squad to midtable with a half decent striker instead of Uche and Loft and a left back replacing Benning. The rest bought in have been poor signings but together as a whole they were good enough for lower  midtable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Brightside said:

Baggers believes our budget is about 18th, that seems to be backed up by different sites who have our budget anywhere between £2.6m - £3.2m.

We won't know how much our actual budget is this season until accounts are submitted.

18th is 3 spots above relegation - it's not brilliant but we're underperforming Vs the budget