Match Thread: Southend United v Port Vale

Solid perfomance in what was a potential banana skin game and we played some lovely football at times.  Credit to Crookes for stepping in and delivering a great perfomance.  I thought Joyce had a great game today also, really used the ball well.  People can say what they like about Pope but he knows where the net is.

• Like 4

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So our leading scorer has scored twice and narrowly missed a hat-trick, we are bossing the game, and about to go 5th in the league with 3 wins on the bounce after a tricky away game at the bottom team

My birthday too. All the best👍

A pleasing result, a professional team performance, a win on the road and a clean sheet. It would have been easy to slip up and be complacent; although Southend are on a wretched run, even a blin

Great win. Managed to eventually watch it. (IFollow poor again)
The only thing I could look forward to on my 50th birthday due to lockdown, not seeing family. But now having a nip in my new Port Vale whisky glass after a comprehensive showing by the boys. Energy, press, and willingness to run won the day for me..you can only beat what's in front of you.

• Like 3

A throughly professional performance against a very poor Southend side. We stayed patient, we didn’t let them have any clear-cut chances and played our game throughout. It really should have been 4 or 5. 

Crookes was excellent, it was really good to see him playing well. The midfield controlled the game well. The front three never stopped. Pope once again showed us his class. 

3 wins in a week, I’m over the moon! 

The only thing I could look forward to on my 50th birthday due to lockdown, not seeing family. But now having a nip in my new Port Vale whisky glass after a comprehensive showing by the boys. Energy, press, and willingness to run won the day for me..you can only beat what's in front of you.
Happy birthday mate.
  • Like 2

Advert:

6 minutes ago, philmpv said:

10 games gone. Average of 1.9 points per game. Keep that up and that's nearly 88 points, more than enough for automatic promotion!

Apart from 1993 when we had 89 points and missed out 

Just been pedantic mate but yes we are doing well. Just a pity Scunny is off as they were there for the taking

• Like 1

Feed the Pope and he will always score.

Vale can only beat what's put in front of them, Southend have some tidy players but played like a collection of individuals rather than a team, good time to play them.

Adam Crookes played well, nullified their winger who looked to have a few tricks in him early on.

14 minutes ago, boleyuk said:

My birthday too. All the best👍

• Like 5

This isn't a slight on Pope. He took his goals brilliantly.

All strikers thrive on service. Now Amoo firing and Worrall on his favourite left side I think all 4 strikers ought to thrive on better service. 

Nobody can deny that 3 weeks ago we could barely buy a goal . 

Amoo, Burgess are playing really well and it was virtually last season's team apart from Gibbons. 

Lots of reasons for optimism whilst keeping our feet firmly on the ground. 

• Like 1

Amoo has made a big difference. Very decent performance all around today without ever really needing to hit the heights. Happy with that. And well done to Crookes for stepping in and being solid at LB.

• Like 3

Advert:

3 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Amoo has made a big difference. Very decent performance all around today without ever really needing to hit the heights. Happy with that. And well done to Crookes for stepping in and being solid at LB.

Bang on. Amoo looked like it was effortless. He didn't need to step out of second gear

Edited by Platty's Tassels

Advert:

Great result I was  very worried we would feel sorry for them and give them the points however a real solid and workman like performance never really giving them a sniff. I bet Tom Pope is thinking how did I not get a hat trick! A very happy bunny here just put the icing on the cake . Well done all the team and JA keep up the good work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Santa said:

BBC Essex commentary had a lot of praise for Pope for his experience, particularly how he was a handful for the defenders when he wasn't winning the ball.

Most people never realise what’s going on off the ball and what goes on during a game. It’s just as important as what players do with the ball.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

Spot on. I said the other night that Tuesday's commentator was miles better than Bowers as he actually did what he is supposed to - i.e. commentate on and describe the match, unlike Bowers who talks about all sorts of crap while the game is going on. (and not just when the ball is out-of-play)

Bowers must provide commentary on about 50% of the actual game, at best.

Couldn't agree more. Enjoyed the commentary on Tuesday night; actually learned things about the opposition e.g. there goalie was only 19, on loan from West Brom etc.

Had enough today, turned the commentary off and slammed some appropriate vinyl on. Did the trick.........

Points-with-Bone