onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Port Vale v Stevenage

Fosse69

Yet again, Old Sage interprets a post to suit himself and his opinions, with, seemingly, no-one allowed an opinion of their own. Where did I say that I blamed Pope for the defeat? I was critical of the system and the way that the players attempted to put it into practice.
You are far too sensitive Badge. My response was to the way a number on here jump on Pope's back like most of the oafs that mark him. Pope has said that he hates having the ball hoofed up to him as he needs service from the wings to be truly effective. It's just that he has the ability to hold up the ball where as Miller's control is awful. It really gets to me when folks say that we have a better option than Tom because the truth is we don't.

Advert

You are far too sensitive Badge. My response was to the way a number on here jump on Pope's back like most of the oafs that mark him. Pope has said that he hates having the ball hoofed up to him as he needs service from the wings to be truly effective. It's just that he has the ability to hold up the ball where as Miller's control is awful. It really gets to me when folks say that we have a better option than Tom because the truth is we don't.
Yes agree pope holds ball up better than Miller, but think Whitfields chances are running out, Miller may have been a better option, it was his hospital pass back to Joyce set the break away for one of the goals, we attacked in numbers as lot on here request and got caught out again with balls over the top and the rest is history, I was at game and very disappointed with the result, we had chances but never put them away, the stats show we weren't out played a little naive at time but don't think they deserve all the criticism they get, think this negativity is built into a lot of fans for the inept management of our club on and of the pitch over a number of year, hopefully this change of ownership which the majority of us would like to see. The club managed well of the field will bear success on the field keep the faith and keep believing, up the Vale.

When I saw yesterday's result, one thought came into my mind: just like last season (anyone else still whincing at the Cambridge performance?) the players just downed tools, which imho, doesn't say a lot for them. This was a really poor result, against Stevenage of all teams, and the fans and the manager deserved better. You'd think none of them were playing for their contracts wouldn't you? And even those who weren't should have given the manager some food for thought for next season.

On the subject of which, the consensus here is clearly right - yet again we need a huge clear out. I knew we had a big squad but 33 players is just ridiculous and hopefully many of them will be on their way to be replaced with a lot more quality. It's Arthur's call who stays and goes, assuming he's still here, but he has a lot to do in the close season. Let's just hope we have new owners or it's going to be a scramble for next season to get things ready.

Looking at the squad, we need strengthening in every area but principally a proper left back, two or three midfield players, a winger who can actually do what wingers do, and a couple of forwards. We need to keep the kind of defensive solidity we've displayed away (only 17 goals conceded to date) when we play at home and then add 20 goals, and we'll be fine. Otherwise, I fear it's yet another dismal basement fight.

Anyway, we've survived and all we need to make the season more than palatable is for our highly successful owner to sell up and never grace Burslem with his presence again. Don't care what he does, as long as he goes and is relegated to the less salubrious annals of the history of our club. Just go, Norman, I'm sure you've had enough and we certainly have.

With a match day squad of 18 how big a squad do you need to also cover injuries? We've played 28 players in league games this season but a lot of those are what one would guess are loan players where the parent club paid a fair whack of the wage and who made very few appearances and only saw game time covering injuries. If we do go for a squad of 22 then it's going to be very difficult to justify keeping on youth team players for a couple of years to give them time to develop. At 22 there will be times when we can't field a full bench due to injuries due to restrictions on loans outside the window.

Hope we don't follow the last few years of wholesale changes as that certainly isn't bringing success. Despite the negativity about our defenders we've still got one of the best defensive records in the league. They aren't perfect but they aren't in division 2. Our best 6 midield/attacking options are top half for me. There's are real drop in quality below that. Far more chance of progressing and building a challenge with maybe 4 to maximum 6 new players than going for double figures again.

I agree. The team we put out in the good run was decent. Varied and mobile midfield five, who combined well.

We have a good enough first eleven, but there is little depth.

So, You agree with Arthur that we need more players who can play at this level.

We need change in the quality of players but the change has to be incremental - we've seen all too often what wholesale changes mean.

What I think we need is a few good players in all positions, but keep the likes of Tom Pope and Anthony Kay (the latter maybe as a coach) for the continuity and experience they bring and we need.

I agree. The team we put out in the good run was decent. Varied and mobile midfield five, who combined well.

We have a good enough first eleven, but there is little depth.

So, You agree with Arthur that we need more players who can play at this level.

If we kept the 3 loan players at the back I'd be quite happy with 3/4 players of the same, or ideally better quality, than or better players in more advanced positions.

Archived