onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Do cheaper ticket prices work?

mr.hobblesworth

Sunderland fans have been used to turning up in numbers at prem and championship prices, a full price ticket for the Vale would be cheaper than what they’re used to.

So lets sell 4500 away tickets at £22, because its cheaper than they are used to and we will sell 3000 tickets as the home team!!. Brilliant.

Advert

Sunderland fans have been used to turning up in numbers at prem and championship prices, a full price ticket for the Vale would be cheaper than what they’re used to.
They are used to paying the going rate for a game against Prem opposition not a L2 side. Don't clubs tend to reduce prices for cup games in the early rounds to match ST average game price or thereabouts?

I personally think that it's a lot more complicated than simply reducing prices for one off games. In the past the club have bundled matches together to form an offer, but the crux of it still meant that people had to fork out a substantial amount of money to benefit.

The situation at Vale now is becoming quite serious in my opinion, with how things have been at Stoke over the last 10 years, it's a generation of youngsters that we've pretty much lost now. That being said, now is the time to do something to make sure the trend stops soon.

The promotion season only saw one or two offers. There was a Wimbledon match where tickets were a fiver I think, and then there was the Burton game. The Northampton match was full price, despite fans pleading for a repeat of the Burton match in the run up to it. The club rightly refused to do so and we made more money from one match than we had for years previously. I'm sure it was a record of some sort. So there is much to be said about the pull of a winning team, and obviously the chance to witness a promotion party, given their rarity.

What Vale have is a large stadium with plenty of space available to cut prices and try to get people attending on a regular basis. This, combined with some decent investment into the playing side of things, will hopefully see attendances increasing over time.

Unfortunately Vale seem to react to situations rather than forward plan. It's something Smurthwaite is now renowned for, and for me reflects his true intentions with regards to Vale. He is not concerned with it's long term future, as he never intended to be around this long. Everything has been one short term bodge job to another, trying to make money quick and run.

Now if only we had someone running the club with local connections, deeply rooted within the community, and it's best intentions at heart...maybe then long term plans and decisions would be made. Oh well.

I think we should try and find some kind of sponsorship deal so all under 18s get in for free and maybe even a reduced season ticket for those under 21. I still don't think we sufficiently target the 2 universities - I'm not sure if NUS get a discount? - and I would also like to see us try to work with the local immigrant population. Finally, re-try the Targetcan'trememberhowmanythousand that V2001 tried to pull off. Before all that happens, we need to tidy up the ground, ensure that the experience is as pleasant as possible when folk do attend and, the hard bit, get us playing entertaining football (or at least successful football).

Archived