onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Dean Austin says Northampton are a “pure football team” this photo says otherwise

News Feed

Photo Essay: After a match where Vale fans called for multiple penalties as their team were pushed and shoved in the penalty area, Northampton manager Dean Austin seemed to be watching an entirely different match. After the 2-0 win for Vale which Northampton finished with ten men after Aaron Pierre was dismissed after a succession […]

The post Dean Austin says Northampton are a “pure football team” this photo says otherwise appeared first on onevalefan.co.uk.

Click for full article

--

This is an automated feed from:

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk

View our home page for our latest features

--

Advert

Looks like normal corner kick stuff - you don’t really get penalties for it and I’m sure that timed right there’d be a similar photo to be taken in Vale’s penalty area. It does show the moral high ground is a bit difficult for NTFC to claim, though and they weren’t above “divilment” at fairly normal levels, eg the lad who got sent off feigning a foul just before his first booking. They did have a number of good pass and move spells which looked untypical of League Two but from highlights the resultant shots were a) of the “couldn’t hit a cow’s behind with a banjo” variety and b) almost certainly covered by Brown anyway.

It does show the moral high ground is a bit difficult for NTFC to claim, though

And that is very much the reason for it.

I'm sure Vale are no angels and that other teams do it... but to come out with that "we're a pure football team" comment was just rubbish. Northampton may be no more dirty than any other side in League Two - but what they aren't is some sort of purest football team who never commit fouls.

They are not a footballing team, bar Hoskins and Foley. The rest are big, tall, strong brutes and they play the ball in the air a lot of the time, including every time from the keeper who had a very long kick and made good use of it.

They must have had 5-6 lads who were well over six feet tall, including the 22 in midfield, two centre halves and two big forwards.

They were very much a rough and tumble league two side - a poor man's Lincoln.

No way are they are a pure footballing team, never in a million years.

We've seen teams like Crewe, Carlisle and Accrington playing nice football in the recent past but not that lot. Ridiculous statement from him. Eeyore!

No.22 for Northampton is Matt Crooks, a converted centre half. I thought he was their best player and did loads of good box to box play, a bit of an Ian Taylor type. If he plays like that every week he's the sort of player I'd like us to sign.

Listening to Dean Austin's interview and watching his team I doubt he'll last the season. They lost because we were better than them, no luck or bad refereeing involved. If a Vale player did what Aaron Pierre did I'd be livid, it was almost as bad as Reggie's idiocy against Bolton when we went down.

Don't really understand the point of it really in relation to them thinking they are a pure football side. Every team will be blocking and holding at corners and free kicks. What are you supposed to do, let players have all the room in the world and a free run on goal. It would be naive to do anything else in those situations otherwise teams would bully you.

Don't really understand the point of it really in relation to them thinking they are a pure football side. Every team will be blocking and holding at corners and free kicks. What are you supposed to do, let players have all the room in the world and a free run on goal. It would be naive to do anything else in those situations otherwise teams would bully you.

The full interview in the Northampton press expands on that "pure football" quote. It is actually headlined as "Austin wants more devilment in his Northampton side" and that he wants them to "develop a more streetwise and nasty streak in games" - I don't think he's not representing the truth at all. So he's effectively saying the side are too nice, too pure a side - that's rubbish.

They were a big physical team, doing the things that others do - such as holding in the box, shirt pulling and the like. No more, no less than other sides but he's painting a picture of them being different, nicer than other League Two sides - hence why I published that photo to show otherwise.

In the Adams days a lot of opposition fans moaned about us being physical and/or route one, usually they ignored that their own team gave as good as they got.

Footballing isn't the first word that springs to mind when I think about Northampton. There are plenty of teams in this league who look more comfortable on the ball, particularly building from the back. You wouldn't say they were a better footballing side than Crawley, for example.

Archived