smithie

Yesterday's attendance!!

I think it’s fairly simple. A hell of a lot of fans, myself included, just aren’t that bothered any more.

Any enthusiasm has been taken away and I’m afraid it’s down to one man.

There were plenty of reasons other than scapegoating and belittling yet more people, a new marketing person and a former manager - the modest gate was nothing to do with any individual.

Anyone with a reasonable, open-minded outlook would also consider that-

- There were posts on here saying 'No way will the match be on' late Friday night. It was only saved due to the magnificent efforts of volunteers.

- The weather forecast was uncertain at best, and would have put off many. It could easily have turned nasty and meant people struggling to get home in dark blizzard conditions.

- This was the 5th of 5 home games in a very short period, Many people cannot afford so many games in such a short period, or may just not want to go to so many.

- Some people ttavel and would not risk the possibility of terrible weather. I would not come because crossing back over the Peak District in the dark on icy roads in treacherous conditions is just not worth the real risks. I haven't forgotten the Sheffield United home game on Boxing Day a couple of years ago, some United fans never got home that night and were stuck in the snow, it took me 4 hours. Not worth the risk when the forecast is so uncertain.

- The last 3 home games had been less than wonderful, and anyone who spent £60 or so on them might just have wanted a break.

- Burton in the chanmpionship, Walsall and Oldham in L1 and 6 matches in our division ALL had lower crowds. Morecambe and Crawley had just over 1700 each and had Accrington played instead of being postponed they would have got well under 2000 as well. Christmas does this.

None of the above are due to any individual and no one should be attacked, belittled and scapegoated because some are so narrow minded that they fail to consider the context.

Edited by Bea Smith

There could be many reasons why people choose not to attend... distance, illness, apathy, cost to name but a few... I wouldnt criticise them for their reasons, it is after all their personal choice and circumstance that dictate.

The "corporate" vale however has to sell its product, the idea, the belief, the brand, even the dream... it fails.

There could be many reasons why people choose not to attend... distance, illness, apathy, cost to name but a few... I wouldnt criticise them for their reasons, it is after all their personal choice and circumstance that dictate.

The "corporate" vale however has to sell its product, the idea, the belief, the brand, even the dream... it fails.

Agreed, but this has been an issue at Vale for years and to single out a new employee when the overall responsibility lies higher up the tree is silly and vindictive.

Nobody should be criticised for not attending a particular game, or even deciding they don't want to attend at all for a while if that is their choice, particularly if they have been a long-term fan in previous times.

Personally I dont blame one person, but the system and restraints the individuals work with/under which has been poor for many years.

The "this is how we have done it for years" attitude has to change, perhaps it needs someone who does not want to "fit in" to break it free, to see outside the constraints of "the box"... but first and foremost it needs someone to recognise that its broken/failing/innefective

I have a half hour walk to get to vp. On the walk to the game on sat. I met Vale fans who didn’t know the game was still on, that is down to the marketing or lack of.

Absolutely spot on Geo.

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

I have a half hour walk to get to vp. On the walk to the game on sat. I met Vale fans who didn’t know the game was still on, that is down to the marketing or lack of.

If they choose to not find out that is their problem, what is the club supposed to do drive round the north of the Potteries with a loud hailer?

Mine was against Halifax in approx 1977 and approx 1400-1500 there it looked empty then aswell. But we didn’t have aspo and King rudge then as a bit of hope for us.

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Was that a home game?

Dont think we played them until 79/80 ish

We had a far longer period of no success before the promotion of 2012/13, and crowds never went as low as 3k.

Smurthwaite has no doubt caused a lot of upset but I can't help thinking he's a convenient excuse for the stayaways. Portsmouth, Luton, Blackpool and Orient fans have had far worse times than us but have stayed with their team.

If they choose to not find out that is their problem, what is the club supposed to do drive round the north of the Potteries with a loud hailer?

Thats a hell of a way to run a business

It was all over social media that they were getting the game on. Local radio were saying it was still on. 5live and talksport were regularly updating listeners on the games that were postponed too. I assume skysports must have been doing the same as well.

I don't see that as a reason to knock the club at all.

Edited by PV1973

We had a far longer period of no success before the promotion of 2012/13, and crowds never went as low as 3k.

Smurthwaite has no doubt caused a lot of upset but I can't help thinking he's a convenient excuse for the stayaways. Portsmouth, Luton, Blackpool and Orient fans have had far worse times than us but have stayed with their team.

People dont need an excuse not to go... give them a reason to go and they might

I think people saw the weather forecast earlier in the week and already started making other plans, as we rarely survive a pitch inspection.

Vale aren't a big enough draw in people's lives at the moment and at this time of year there are enough other things that easily trump it. Even I had to drag myself and even though we won, I don't think I would have regretted staying at home.

Thats a hell of a way to run a business

Wasting money on reaching out to so called supporters who can`t be arsed to find out if a game is on or not is another "hell of a way to run a business".

If people choose not to attend it is up to them and there is very little a club can do about it except improve results and performances.

The club with help from supporters did well to get the game on and should be praised for that and hopefully Saturdays attendance will be a low point not the norm.