onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday Thread: Port Vale v Grimsby Town

Fosse69

So Pope needs another player to help him mark a man? �� Give over for gods sake' date=' we aren’t allowed 22 men to their 11.[/quote']

In that situation yes, the defender has to be goal side of the attacker and if the delivery is good and lands on the head of the attacker then it's trouble and for Vale it was. The play is to stop the ball getting onto the head of the attacker. Against Notts Vale employed a man in front of and behind Ameobi to prevent him getting flick ons and it worked. What do you expect Popey to do push the attacker over and give away a pen. Some credit has to be given to the deliverer of the ball.

Here is a novel idea instead of auditioning for WWF why not does he not keep his hands to himself and outjump him to win the header.

He can’t because he’s not fit and doesn’t get off the ground anywhere near enough through out the games.

The attacker is in front of Popey, Popey couldn't get to the ball if the delivery is good, all Popey could do was to jump into him, knock him off balance which is what Pope did, the flick on could have gone anywhere.

"He's not fit" how come he was all over the pitch yesterday but I supose that's another one of your sweeping statements and distorted views, like "AdF is a top player for Vale" when the guy has no assists or goals in 40+ appearances but hey ho why take any notice of reality.

Advert

In that situation yes, the defender has to be goal side of the attacker and if the delivery is good and lands on the head of the attacker then it's trouble and for Vale it was. The play is to stop the ball getting onto the head of the attacker. Against Notts Vale employed a man in front of and behind Ameobi to prevent him getting flick ons and it worked. What do you expect Popey to do push the attacker over and give away a pen. Some credit has to be given to the deliverer of the ball.

The attacker is in front of Popey, Popey couldn't get to the ball if the delivery is good, all Popey could do was to jump into him, knock him off balance which is what Pope did, the flick on could have gone anywhere.

"He's not fit" how come he was all over the pitch yesterday but I supose that's another one of your sweeping statements and distorted views, like "AdF is a top player for Vale" when the guy has no assists or goals in 40+ appearances but hey ho why take any notice of reality.

I actually agree with your adf comment I think he makes pope look like a complete footballer adf is bringing nothing to the team

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

You do talk some utter tripe, Pope needs help indeed

Where is this ADF quote you have just made up?

Points scoring on years at the vale ha ha laughable

Not point scoring in any way, I watch vale when and where ever I can, I plan my trips to the UK around watching the Vale.

I’d have been disappointed if I couldn’t have scored that chance

You like me probably wouldn't have anticipated where the ball was gonna drop so we wouldn't have been in a position to score.

If he’d had his head on and was capable then the chance against Accrington should’ve been put away

The header from 2yards against crwho hit against the bar should’ve been put away

The chance when he had 12 yards start and got caught 25yds from goal should’ve been scored

You lot are deluded if you think Tom pope is the Answer to our strike problems

We need turner and Barnett on

Yesterday he wasn’t too bad tbh but not man of match gibbons should’ve got it

By the way I’ve been going vale for 41yrs so I bow to you of course you win

Gibbons was excellent in the first half but for me faded a tad in the 2nd. In response to your reply I just asked what facts you collected about Tom Pope's performance at yesterdays game to back up your statement, you haven't provided any so will just accept that you collected none. We all have different views/opinions about players and it's part of the fun on a message board, no malice intended.

Whether Tom Pope or Barnett (or Turner or Pyke) is the answer who knows but Barnet wasn't fit for the first 8 or 9 games of the season, so far the various managers have gone with Pope but it wouldn't surprise me they all get their chance over the season depending on the opposition and chemistry.

Not point scoring in any way, I watch vale when and where ever I can, I plan my trips to the UK around watching the Vale.

You like me probably wouldn't have anticipated where the ball was gonna drop so we wouldn't have been in a position to score.

Gibbons was excellent in the first half but for me faded a tad in the 2nd. In response to your reply I just asked what facts you collected about Tom Pope's performance at yesterdays game to back up your statement, you haven't provided any so will just accept that you collected none. We all have different views/opinions about players and it's part of the fun on a message board, no malice intended.

Whether Tom Pope or Barnett (or Turner or Pyke) is the answer who knows but Barnet wasn't fit for the first 8 or 9 games of the season, so far the various managers have gone with Pope but it wouldn't surprise me they all get their chance over the season depending on the opposition and chemistry.

Yesterday I thought pope wasn’t capable of running into the channels or couldn’t get the better of his marker that’s what we need of the striker that’s what I got from yesterday

Your point was taken and I take on board what points you’ve made still pope needs to be on subs bench not starting just my opinion I’m not the manager

Nothing personal intended sorry about that

Here you go again when you lose the argument you turn to abuse. The help needs to go closer to your home.

Ah so you can’t evidence your fantasy quote you put in quotation marks so you go off topic randomly talking about houses!

Pope needs help? Really? Maybe buy him a running machine or a mobile trampoline so he can get up off the ground on the pitch?

While you are at it maybe you can buy his bestie Kay a new head containing a footballers head and Pugh and Tonge a couple of zimmerframes.

Here you go again when you lose the argument you turn to abuse. The help needs to go closer to your home.

Even when we get a manager that we all agree can make things better, and the massive boost of Sir JR returning, there are still a couple of noncewits who think they know better, have to scapegoat the players, and want everyting to go exactky as they want with their unmatchable knowledge and experience of football management.

So you have to forgive abuse - remember they are right and we must all listen, doof our ap, and tell Aspo and Rudgie to take note.

What I couldn't understand yesterday was why Gibbons wasn't used in the second half as he had been in the first - most of our threat came from the right first half but it was anywhere but in the second. It had to have been tactical; otherwise I'm mystified.

Yesterday I thought pope wasn’t capable of running into the channels or couldn’t get the better of his marker that’s what we need of the striker that’s what I got from yesterday

Your point was taken and I take on board what points you’ve made still pope needs to be on subs bench not starting just my opinion I’m not the manager

Nothing personal intended sorry about that

Me neither, we all want what's best for the club.

Ah so you can’t evidence your fantasy quote you put in quotation marks so you go off topic randomly talking about houses!

Pope needs help? Really? Maybe buy him a running machine or a mobile trampoline so he can get up off the ground on the pitch?

While you are at it maybe you can buy his bestie Kay a new head containing a footballers head and Pugh and Tonge a couple of zimmerframes.

Bloomin' eck I've have to eat and I can't be assed to look anyway.

You've lost the plot with this and the previous reply, we see things differently on the football field let's leave it at that.

What I couldn't understand yesterday was why Gibbons wasn't used in the second half as he had been in the first - most of our threat came from the right first half but it was anywhere but in the second. It had to have been tactical; otherwise I'm mystified.

Grimsby changed their formation in the second half, when our centre halves had the ball they dropped their centre forwards back on to Tonge and Pugh, they then had their wingers sitting in front of their full backs with the 2 centre mids in front of the back 4 too, so it denied the space in midfield and on the wings that we had in the first half, hence we hit it long a lot.

We need to find a way to combat (and there are things we can do to give the wing backs space) because teams will look at how we play and the space that players like Denton and Gibbons have will be closed down earlier. Teams will be well aware of the threat that they can pose from getting forward and getting crosses in the box to Pope. Teams will not want Pope battling for balls in the box from good crosses out wide, hopeful long balls from the back with Pope outside the box facing his own goal are a different matter as they are easier to defend.

Over the two halves there was little between the two teams other than their winger, Dembele. Put him in a Vale and we'd have won that game, I have absolutely no doubt about that. On that performance it's crazy that he's even playing football at this level.

Archived