onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday Thread: Port Vale v Grimsby Town

Fosse69

Only Port Vale fans could criticize a striker who scored their only goal, gave his all for the team, was involved in most of the attacking threat, made some superb lay-off's and generally played very well.

I don't buy the comments like "Tom Pope's has no pace, is slow etc", yes he isn't as quick or nimble as Theo Walcott or Grimsby's No 27 but very few players of his type are, eg Tyrone Barnett or Giroud. I see a player who gets around the pitch and puts a shift in.

Pope did not lose his man for Grimsby's first goal he was touching/adjacent to their player and was goal side of him as he should have been. If the delivery is good the only way to defend that ball is to have someone in front and someone behind their player, there was no Vale defender in front. That glancing header could have gone anywhere, unfortunately for Vale it went in the top corner, a Vale player on the post wouldn't have got to it.

Advert

Pope is laughably slow, anyone disagreeing is wrong. The slowest professional footballer I've think I've ever seen.

With regards to the weekly "Pope gets nothing from the refs" debate; the refs haven't got it in for Pope, they didn't meet up pre-season and conspire to deny him freekicks. It just so happens that dozens of referees, independently, don't deem the treatment of Pope as 'fouling', because it isn't. He has the worst balance and goes down easier than any other 6"4 man in football. The refs aren't giving him free kicks every week cus they ain't free kicks.

However, he had his best game this season yesterday. This doesn't mean much, though, considering how poor he's been. His goal was a half-decent finish with the keeper on the ground from 6 yards out. His flick ons and lay offs, the most basic thing we expect of him, were better, not spectacular. Work rate good.

Second half when Slade nullified our wingers, with Pope up top, we resorted to launching the ball into the box from deep. That's the issue with Pope; he makes us very one dimensional.

He put a good shift in and was very decent, but he isn't the answer to our woes. I would much prefer Barnett and Turner up top. He's a legend and a good squad player, but I'm getting a bit tired of the guarantee he gets 90 minutes every week when the opposition have clearly worked out a way to shut down his 'supply routes'.

Okay everyone" entitled to an opinion so he is mine. For all the comments about Grimsby being a bang average outfit I disagree, they were the best side I have seen at valepark this season, the black winger/striker was the difference overall. Grimsby knocked the ball around well & also had a bit of steel throughout the team. Aspin & Rudge will sort this out as I believe they will have no favourites, currently,Kay, Harness, Tongue & maybe Pope do not derserve to be in the team. What's happening with Pyke & Motaneo? I appreciate the latter was/is injured but how about an update. I was looking forward to today's game like many more but if people attended expecting us to win then they were deluded hope, yes but expect no.its going to be along hard winter but i believe we will survive anything else is a bonus. Keep the faith Aspo & Rudgie will prevail!!

Today’s game?? Are you Scottish?

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Only Port Vale fans could criticize a striker who scored their only goal, gave his all for the team, was involved in most of the attacking threat, made some superb lay-off's and generally played very well.

I don't buy the comments like "Tom Pope's has no pace, is slow etc", yes he isn't as quick or nimble as Theo Walcott or Grimsby's No 27 but very few players of his type are, eg Tyrone Barnett or Giroud. I see a player who gets around the pitch and puts a shift in.

Pope did not lose his man for Grimsby's first goal he was touching/adjacent to their player and was goal side of him as he should have been. If the delivery is good the only way to defend that ball is to have someone in front and someone behind their player, there was no Vale defender in front. That glancing header could have gone anywhere, unfortunately for Vale it went in the top corner, a Vale player on the post wouldn't have got to it.

Grimsby centre half had in in his pocket all game - Builed him & won

Go the games see the facts

I do watch the games and as a Vale fan for 55+ years I've most probably seen more Vale games than you.

The only difference between you and I is that I don't have a derogatory pre-formed bias against Tom Pope, if you were at the game yesterday you would have seen he scored and was Vale's best player.

Tell me what facts you collected about Tom Pope's performance yesterday, I'll tell you a fact, he scored a goal, only one but he scored.

I do watch the games and as a Vale fan for 55+ years I've most probably seen more Vale games than you.

The only difference between you and I is that I don't have a derogatory pre-formed bias against Tom Pope, if you were at the game yesterday you would have seen he scored and was Vale's best player.

Tell me what facts you collected about Tom Pope's performance yesterday, I'll tell you a fact, he scored a goal, only one but he scored.

Points scoring on years at the vale ha ha laughable

I’d have been disappointed if I couldn’t have scored that chance

If he’d had his head on and was capable then the chance against Accrington should’ve been put away

The header from 2yards against crwho hit against the bar should’ve been put away

The chance when he had 12 yards start and got caught 25yds from goal should’ve been scored

You lot are deluded if you think Tom pope is the Answer to our strike problems

We need turner and Barnett on

Yesterday he wasn’t too bad tbh but not man of match gibbons should’ve got it

By the way I’ve been going vale for 41yrs so I bow to you of course you win

So Pope needs another player to help him mark a man? Give over for gods sake, we aren’t allowed 22 men to their 11.

Here is a novel idea instead of auditioning for WWF why does he not keep his hands to himself and outjump him to win the header.

He can’t because he’s not fit and doesn’t get off the ground anywhere near enough through out the games.

Archived