onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Arsenill vs Lincolon

Mr Vale

I'm just glad that Arsenal didn't spank them by as much as they ought to have done - Lincoln did themselves proud throughout their run, and I don't see how it could have devalued any other small clubs' results in the Cup, had they gone another step or two further?

Going off topic, but still talking Cup matters: I've just heard that Coventry have been given 46,000 tickets for the Johnson's Checkatrade Final? 46k??? How many of those hangers-on have been "boycotting" their club, and, presumably financially damaging it, but jump on the Wembley bandwagon?

They have never been to the New Wembley, its a party day everybody goes.

Advert

I know, and although you probably won't believe me, I planted that post to wind up FUA a bit, as it makes no sense but sounds good and convincing.

It was Arsenal that were playing Bayern Munich and any comparison should have been Lincoln's performance (as you say) against the Gunners and not the other way round.

In fairness to Arsenal, it's a lot easier to give up when you go down to 10 men and know you have no chance, not a massive supporter day for them but one of hundreds of European games.

For Lincoln, it was certainly the biggest Cup game in their history, their FA Cup final, incredible support compared to the 700 they got in their first FA Cup tie this season and they had a massive desire not to let those 9000 travelling fans see them humiliated.

They weren't - and good luck to them, but as a cup run it pales into insignificance against some L1 teams that have had semi-final runs when the FA Cup was a top priority for all teams. I'd rate their run about as good as Vale's in 1988 when we beat Spurs.

You must really hate Lincoln!

I had a soft spot for Lincoln long before this cup run as I lived there for a year a while back (probably the best place I have ever lived) and did make the occasional trip to watch them play. It's only York though so not much of an achievement of they beat them.
Only York? The only 3rd Div team to ever force a replay in a FA cup semi-final, how times change.

Only York? The only 3rd Div team to ever force a replay in a FA cup semi-final, how times change.

That's not fair as there are no replays now...so in years to come we'll be slagging off lower div clubs for not forcing sem-final replays any more :(

Also the only team in Yorkshire that I have seen play PVFC on a New Years Day (1994)..it were cold and I recall there was no roof on the toilets (I think)

On the subject of Lincoln and York.

Lincoln City in 1984 was one of our lowest ever away attendances drawing just 1,372 supporters,our match at Rochdale in 1974 being the lowest (972).

Our lowest ever league attendance at Vale Park just happens to be against York City in 1982,when just 1,924 fans turned up for a 0-0 draw.

I had a soft spot for Lincoln long before this cup run as I lived there for a year a while back (probably the best place I have ever lived) and did make the occasional trip to watch them play. It's only York though so not much of an achievement of they beat them.

It's always an achievement to get to Wembley, no matter what the competition and , for lower division /non-league sides, a rare chance for silverware .

Archived