onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Arsenill vs Lincolon

Mr Vale

Advert

Quote:They weren't - and good luck to them, but as a cup run it pales into insignificance against some L1 teams that have had semi-final runs when the FA Cup was a top priority for all teams. I'd rate their run about as good as Vale's in 1988 when we beat Spurs.

In fairness to Lincoln the last 4 of the FA Cup is pretty impressive, 4 of the top 5.

You cannot compare to any other runs in the past, they beat who they beat on merit.

For me the FA Cup needs to do what the Autoglass, Checkatrade, High Lane Oatcake trophy or whatever it is called does....make all teams play at least 6 of their previous starting 11.

For me the FA Cup needs to do what the Autoglass, Checkatrade, High Lane Oatcake trophy or whatever it is called does....make all teams play at least 6 of their previous starting 11.

Said it before (although I still haven't really thought it through thoroughly so it might be full of holes)..award league points for progress in the FA cup..something like one point for every round you get thru including qualifying rounds...PL club could get 5 points for getting to the final, 6 for winning it (I think)..they'd surely put out stronger teams as any win would be more valuable.

You must really hate Lincoln!

No I don't- I already congratulated them and wished them well, and I hope they return to L2 as they have always been a real 'league' club unlike the Crawleys and Fleetwoods with rich owners but no proper support or tradition.

I thought you were open -minded enough to not join the couple of trolling idiots who follow my posts and look for anything radical or any diferent view, then criticise from their blinkered bunkers because someone dares to put a view they don't like.

My point (yet again) was that Lincoln (and I would have said the same if it were Sutton) or any good top non-league, L2 or L1 club can find it much easier these days to progress in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th rounds (at least) of the FA Cup as they will often meet opponents who are fielding massive numbers of reserves, and who may well think the FA Cup is not worth bothering with.

This doesn't apply to Arsenal in the QF, as they now need an FA Cup run but if they had played L:incoln in round 3, what team would they have fielded I wonder ?

It is sad, as the FA Cup is a wonderful competition, but this is what Sky and the Premier League have done to one of our great traditional competitions.

Sadly the FA CUP is a victim of what Bea has said above...

FA Challenge Cup 3rd round replay

Port Vale vs Arsenal Wed Jan 14 1998

Result : Port Vale (0) 1 Arsenal (0) 1

After extra time (0-0 after 90 mins), Arsenal win 4-3 on penalties

Scorers: Corden 118 Bergkamp 100

Arsenal: Seaman, Dixon, Winterburn, Keown, Bould; Vieira, Hughes,

Parlour, Overmars; Bergkamp, Wright

Subs: Grimandi (Vieira 75), Anelka (Wright 84),

Boa Morte (Overmars 90), Upson, Manninger

Booked:

Port Vale: Musselwhite, Hill, Tankard, Bogie, Aspin, Snijders,

Ainsworth, Porter, Talbot, Naylor, Corden

Subs: Mills (Naylor 87), Foyle (Talbot 101),

Van Heusden, Glover, Stokes

Booked: Tankard

Att: 14964

Ref: N S Barry (Scunthorpe)

Just look at that Arsenal team for a replay, Hughes for Petit otherwise pretty much full strength.

The weird thing is that the Champions League also existed then so not sure why over the years the cup has demised so much.

Just look at that Arsenal team for a replay, Hughes for Petit otherwise pretty much full strength.

The weird thing is that the Champions League also existed then so not sure why over the years the cup has demised so much.

A factor though was that it was relatively early days for Wenger..he hadn't built up his squad then and was keen to make a good start to his career at Arsenal...a defeat at Port Vale would have had potentially more serious implications for him than it would in the past few years.

However, it is a fact that PL clubs regularly don't play their strongest team in the FA cup..even the more lowly PL teams do this. Maybe in the past they would have done the same if they had the squad strength and the pressures from their superiors to perform in the league...those pressures simply didn't exist back in the day.

There has to be a carrot to encourage them to want to win FA cup matches

Sadly the FA CUP is a victim of what Bea has said above...

FA Challenge Cup 3rd round replay

Port Vale vs Arsenal Wed Jan 14 1998

Result : Port Vale (0) 1 Arsenal (0) 1

After extra time (0-0 after 90 mins), Arsenal win 4-3 on penalties

Scorers: Corden 118 Bergkamp 100

Arsenal: Seaman, Dixon, Winterburn, Keown, Bould; Vieira, Hughes,

Parlour, Overmars; Bergkamp, Wright

Subs: Grimandi (Vieira 75), Anelka (Wright 84),

Boa Morte (Overmars 90), Upson, Manninger

Booked:

Port Vale: Musselwhite, Hill, Tankard, Bogie, Aspin, Snijders,

Ainsworth, Porter, Talbot, Naylor, Corden

Subs: Mills (Naylor 87), Foyle (Talbot 101),

Van Heusden, Glover, Stokes

Booked: Tankard

Att: 14964

Ref: N S Barry (Scunthorpe)

It's demised so much simply because the rewards aren't good enough.

The PL is king,paying an average of £120m per club this season.

Any club in the Champions League will treat the FA Cup with even more disrespect because of the rewards on offer.

If a PL club had won the CL in 2016 they would have pocketed nearly £70million,thanks to the BT Sport new TV deal worth £897m for the next three seasons.

As per the new deal, a Premier League side winning the CL will earn an extra £30m.

A factor though was that it was relatively early days for Wenger..he hadn't built up his squad then and was keen to make a good start to his career at Arsenal...a defeat at Port Vale would have had potentially more serious implications for him than it would in the past few years.

Not really true, Vale were an established 2nd tier club, not a poxxy little non-league set of nobodies. Vale had despatched Everton not long before, not to mention Derby, Southampton, Spurs.

However, it is a fact that PL clubs regularly don't play their strongest team in the FA cup..even the more lowly PL teams do this. Maybe in the past they would have done the same if they had the squad strength and the pressures from their superiors to perform in the league...those pressures simply didn't exist back in the day.

There has to be a carrot to encourage them to want to win FA cup matches

Yes- agreed. Try an extra league point for each round reached or something similar.

The FA Cup has not been the same since Man Utd boycotted it a few years ago.

Many things have conspired against it..the rise of the pl even if you don't win it, the rewards in the cl, playing semi finals at Wembley, pl clubs having large squads etc. Maybe really its now just like it has always been in other European nations..very much a lower priority.

Archived