onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Anthony Grant's New Contract

old sage

I heard the other day off someone who asked Anthony Grant if he was going to sign a new contract and he told them that the offer that was currently on offer was to sign and play for 'peanuts'. He told the enquirer that the deal on the table was no increase on his original deal he signed when he was looking for a new club after he left the Alex.

Considering that the Club's owner said on RS that he couldn't believe how good a player Granty was for the contract he accepted. Now surely the guy deserves a far better offer because he is a vital cog in the Port Vale team and begs the question if it is true what Anthony said where the hell will we get a better player than him on the money being offered?

Advert

We need to pay him what he is worth, with a promotion clause as well. Otherwise he will be gone, some clubs could be tempted to offer a good fee for him in January to strengthen their promotion chances. Also at an age for a solid 3 year contract.

I agree get it sorted and give him what he wants .

Although on the other hand what if he cant agree a deal what happens then ,do u send him out there and he doesnt give his all because he knows he wants out so in theory u playing every game with ten men because his hearts not in it .

Personally i think that is where football has gone wrong .

But Grant is pivotol but if it is affecting his performances id rather put someone else there .

Its all about the money !!

Short career and all that ,ive got work till im 65 what makes footballers so special that once there career is over then can retire .

Get a job

I agree get it sorted and give him what he wants .

Although on the other hand what if he cant agree a deal what happens then ,do u send him out there and he doesnt give his all because he knows he wants out so in theory u playing every game with ten men because his hearts not in it .

Personally i think that is where football has gone wrong .

But Grant is pivotol but if it is affecting his performances id rather put someone else there .

Its all about the money !!

Short career and all that ,ive got work till im 65 what makes footballers so special that once there career is over then can retire .

Get a job

I love reading some of your rants!

Agree totally that some footballers are so molly-coddled and prima donnas that they honestly believe they are above the rest of us. At the end of the day they are playing a game for a living and know within their restricted abilities what that means pay-packet wise. That usually sees very average players getting ridiculous salaries for a short while.

However there are those players, particularly at a lower level than the Premiership, that deserve to be paid a lot more than they currently get. That is when Clubs like ours miss out drastically. We get a player playing really well and can we afford to up his money?

In the case of Grant we have a player who clearly would be as good as he is for us even if he jumped up to the Championship now. As a unit we cannot afford to let him go this season or we may well sink lower and lower down the League. He is that vital to us. Smurf surely has to do everything possible to retain him for at the very least another 1 or 2 years.

None of us should know anything about AG contract-He should remain professional and keep his mouth shut! Although leaking this whilst playing well and getting support from fans maybe a clever move to heap pressure on NS and drive the negotiations in his favour or indeed alert other clubs if this were to hit social media etc....clever boy!

We have had several players who believe they were not being paid there own personal valuation of their worth (or their agents) and jumped ship...how are they doing??

I believe he will be gone at the end of the season anyway so focus should be being put on finding a replacement-in the meantime offer the lad a fair and reasonable contract reflective of his performances and our aspirations(in line with the rest of the league and the going rate) if he signs fantastic if not we are already are a long way down the path of succession. No player bigger than the club-but if we want promotion a happy fit Grant is critical.

He can only be paid what he is worth to the club, only Norman can determine that. The trouble is there are clubs in this league, and even more in the league above who will value him more since they have a larger budget. However he is a key player and may achieve a big chunk of our budget.

A lot of footballers live in a parallell universe when it comes to wages. I read a piece at the weekend about Ched Evans which said he was on a "paltry" £2,000 a week at Chesterfield. That's over £100,000 a year!!!

We must offer Granty what we can afford but that must surely be on a par with the best paid players at the club. Anything else would be a bit of an insult.

Depends what you call peanuts and what wages you compare it with.

Would you pay him for instance what Popey wanted? :unsure:

Some on here do make me chuckle. Surely we all agree that Grant is vital to our team and yet you appear not to want him to get a wage increase. Remember Papa Smurf commented on the radio that he couldn't believe that Page had secured such a good player on the contract that the then out of a club Anthony Grant signed. Now he has proved his worth big time and was last year's 'Player of the Year' yet still you support an owner who doesn't want to give him a long and improved deal. I'm speechless and that doesn't happen too often.

A lot of footballers live in a parallell universe when it comes to wages. I read a piece at the weekend about Ched Evans which said he was on a "paltry" £2,000 a week at Chesterfield. That's over £100,000 a year!!!

We must offer Granty what we can afford but that must surely be on a par with the best paid players at the club. Anything else would be a bit of an insult.

Lets be honest Jacko a proven striker like Evans will command a wage far higher than the £2000 a week that he is currently getting. At the time nobody wanted him now though he will be in big demand and will be then able to cash in.

But he agreed to play for "peanuts" when he joined us.

I think Grant ought to be grateful that Vale offered him a deal in the first place. My understanding was that he tripled his Crewe wages when he left Crewe.Vale took a gamble because he had problems at Crewe and at one time was left out of the squad because of poor attitude and that's why his contract was not renewed at Crewe. Several of the squad from last season thought they were the indispensable and left to where they thought the grass was greener and are now struggling in teams in Div 2. Grant should appreciate that he has a regular place in the Vale team and is liked by the current Manager and supporters. Even if he moves to the Championship there is no guarrantee of a regular place. If Normans cunning plan comes to fruition he could be playing in the Championship anyway.

I just hope he sees the light and he can agree a decent contract that suits Port Vale and himself.

Archived