onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Norman Smurthwaite got it right, now it's time for fans to turn up in numbers…

News Feed

OVF editor says that despite many doubters, including himself, Norman Smurthwaite increasingly looks to have got the key decisions right in recent months. Rob Fielding writes… After all the doubts, the controversies (such as the Sentinel dispute) and the many, many tweets, it's increasingly looking like Vale owner Norman Smurthwaite got the summer's biggest decisions […]

Click for full article

--

This is an automated feed from:

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk

View our home page for our latest features

--

Advert

Excellent post.

Thanks. I just think this is one of the times (like 2012-13) where things look to be gelling on the pitch. I think, seven games in, there are signs we could have something special and we, the fans, can help by coming to support the team on the pitch...

There is a time and a place for criticism (and I think some of it over the years has been richly deserved and has been vital for the club's survival) but arguably this is not the time for negativity, moaning and in-fighting. If we can back this and the run continues we may, we just may, be in with a chance this season...

UTV

I must say the signs are quite encouraging but I still feel that we need to keep our feet on the ground because the table is only accurate after 46 games and not 5.

I just hope that everything is done to try and extend the contracts of the important players that you highlight is done because the loss of the likes of Grant Foley. Smith and Purkiss in particular would put a huge dent in any ambitions that we are holding for our medium and long term future. Every player has his price I appreciate but by getting these better players on longer deals will ensure that we can expect a decent fee for their loss. This cash then needs to be invested into the club and especially the team.

So over all I would say the signs look promising but we don't want to get carried away just yet. Having said that I do appeal to our absent friends to come back and forget any petty arguments that you may have with the Club and or it's owner. With better attendances like 'Topsy' the Vale will grow into the team that we all would like to see.

Rob. I had similar feelings about these signings. It's intriguing to know just how Bruno has found these footballers.

When they got Knops from MV Maastrict I had an opportunity to ask some questions. I have a friend in Maastricht who I've known for over 30 years. He is on their finance committee and the committee deals with contracts and transfers.

My friend responded to an E Mail about Knops and said he was an excellent passer of a football. When the Vale made an approach Maastricht didn't want to lose him so they offered him more money but Knops wanted a new experience. My mate was not surprised at this as he says Knops has a very good football brain and away from football is a well educated and intelligent bloke.

It reassured me but I'm still intrigued how Bruno has put these signings together. It doesn't seem to be a guess by looking at football agents websites but some deeper research.

It would be interesting to find out how Bruno went about finding these players.

I must say the signs are quite encouraging but I still feel that we need to keep our feet on the ground because the table is only accurate after 46 games and not 5.

I just hope that everything is done to try and extend the contracts of the important players that you highlight is done because the loss of the likes of Grant Foley. Smith and Purkiss in particular would put a huge dent in any ambitions that we are holding for our medium and long term future. Every player has his price I appreciate but by getting these better players on longer deals will ensure that we can expect a decent fee for their loss. This cash then needs to be invested into the club and especially the team.

So over all I would say the signs look promising but we don't want to get carried away just yet. Having said that I do appeal to our absent friends to come back and forget any petty arguments that you may have with the Club and or it's owner. With better attendances like 'Topsy' the Vale will grow into the team that we all would like to see.

Agree in the main.

The performance v Scunthorpe was as good as I've seen since the days of John Rudge sides in their pomp.

It all seems fragile and could unravel very quickly.

Norman you need to tie the quality players up asap otherwise any potential gain will disappear in ludicrous 50K bids for players as in the past?

The place is like a breath of fresh air at the moment, the side DESERVES support

Great post. I too was worried about this season, so much so that I haven't had even a flex 10 ( first time in maybe ten years that I haven't a st of some sort) and although I went the Southend game and was pleasantly surprised I wasn't planning on going again for a while.

You do find, when you stop going, it's easy to get out of the habit!

Good post Rob. I too was sceptical over the summer, but also willing to see how it played out, hoping rather than expecting that Smurf would know what he was doing. Early days it looks like he's done some good business and we will be good to watch. I would say now is the time to capitalise. Put a ticket offer on for the Gillingham or Coventry game. We could be due a decent crowd at either of those anyway, why not make it an even bigger one by dropping the price and getting even more through the doors? We've got some momentum, let's ram it home.

Superb post Rob.

The enigmatic Vale fans will gradually trickle back as we continue our excellent start.

Praise is hard to obtain from some Valiants but Smurf and Bruno have started to prove that the building blocks of a well thought out system are in place. It may take a while yet to convince some but I am very 'appy to be in on the Vale revival.

Rob. I had similar feelings about these signings. It's intriguing to know just how Bruno has found these footballers.

When they got Knops from MV Maastrict I had an opportunity to ask some questions. I have a friend in Maastricht who I've known for over 30 years. He is on their finance committee and the committee deals with contracts and transfers.

My friend responded to an E Mail about Knops and said he was an excellent passer of a football. When the Vale made an approach Maastricht didn't want to lose him so they offered him more money but Knops wanted a new experience. My mate was not surprised at this as he says Knops has a very good football brain and away from football is a well educated and intelligent bloke.

It reassured me but I'm still intrigued how Bruno has put these signings together. It doesn't seem to be a guess by looking at football agents websites but some deeper research.

It would be interesting to find out how Bruno went about finding these players.

I would think he will keep it quiet, after all it appears a great skill, and if successful this season he could be in great demand, as it will not go noticed as Vale and Norman took a huge gamble. Early days I know, but very exciting.

Love him or hate him he's done the business but think the stay away fans will always find an excuse not to turn up cus we've heard so many excuses over the years, those who do turn up may we have many more days like last Saturday cus we deserve it for our loyalty.

Archived