onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Sentinel v Smurf

Eddie Hitler

Well it does make a difference to the initial post. I'd go in a paid capacity for work' date=' I paid as an individual to go and watch Stoke because my mate wanted to go, I'd never go by myself for no reason though ;).[/quote']

I don't see how it makes any difference.

If he's working then the club expect a payment (but who that payment's from - that's surely for the Sentinel/employee to decide).

If he's not working for the Sentinel and attending the game then that has no relevance because this is about people working for the Sentinel not getting access to the press facilities.

It's somewhat going off on a massive tangent to think whether am employee expenses or doesn't expense a ticket payment is relevant to the overall thread which is about the disagreement between the Sentinel and the football club.

Advert

Pedantic nonsense. He went into the club shop and PAID with a ten pound note for his ticket. He entered the ground with a ticket that was PAID for. To me, that shows that the Sentinel has a commitment to providing a service for Vale fans, how ever ungrateful some may be.

Come on it's a huge difference and you know it, his company has paid for him to do his job. He hasn't paid. For those of us with expense accounts that's not pedantic in the slightest, you made him out to be something he ain't.

I don't see how it makes any difference.

If he's working then the club expect a payment (but who that payment's from - that's surely for the Sentinel/employee to decide).

If he's not working for the Sentinel and attending the game then that has no relevance because this is about people working for the Sentinel not getting access to the press facilities.

It's somewhat going off on a massive tangent to think whether am employee expenses or doesn't expense a ticket payment is relevant to the overall thread which is about the disagreement between the Sentinel and the football club.

I don't think the sentinel should have to pay, I think they and the chairman should get together, apologies made and a working relationship resumed.

I was just correcting the original post that inferred the individual footed the cost because it read to me like he was martyring (if that's a word!).

Come on it's a huge difference and you know it' date=' his company has paid for him to do his job. He hasn't paid. For those of us with expense accounts that's not pedantic in the slightest, you made him out to be something he ain't.[/quote']

Don't agree.

For instance, he could have stayed at home and refused to cover a minor friendly game from anywhere other than the pressbox. But he still went and covered it despite the extra steps he had to take to gain admission.

I think that (and the contact I have had with him) show him to be very professional. Why even Norman Smurthwaite has said that it's nothing personal against him but about the newspaper as a whole.

And I repeat - this isn't about him and his professional integrity, it's about a dispute between a newspaper and a club chairman.

They just need to get things sorted and then send a different journalist to cover the match......preferably a Vale Fan :wink:

But it's not about the individual journalist. Norman's quotes say it's about "lies" on Facebook that he wants an apology for. That has nothing to do with the journalist - he's just the poor fellow who has to try and do his job while his employers and the club continue their dispute.

In an ideal world, as many have said before, the Sentinel and Norman just need to sit down in a room and sort it out.

Come on it's a huge difference and you know it' date=' his company has paid for him to do his job. He hasn't paid. For those of us with expense accounts that's not pedantic in the slightest, you made him out to be something he ain't.[/quote']

Read my first post again. It said:

"Can I just point out that the issue of the Sentinel not paying for access was not an issue on Tuesday night when Mike Baggaley paid ten quid for his ticket to the game and sat in the ordinary seats in the Lorne Street typing his report!"

You'd start an argument in a phone box, REP.

I don't think the sentinel should have to pay, I think they and the chairman should get together, apologies made and a working relationship resumed.

I was just correcting the original post that inferred the individual footed the cost because it read to me like he was martyring (if that's a word!).

No it didn't - see above.

Don't agree.

For instance, he could have stayed at home and refused to cover a minor friendly game from anywhere other than the pressbox. But he still went and covered it despite the extra steps he had to take to gain admission.

I think that (and the contact I have had with him) show him to be very professional. Why even Norman Smurthwaite has said that it's nothing personal against him but about the newspaper as a whole.

And I repeat - this isn't about him and his professional integrity, it's about a dispute between a newspaper and a club chairman.

He's being paid and expensed to do his job like millions of others nationwide and worldwide, would you refuse to do yours because your directors had made inappropriate comments about a client if it meant you had to pay a small fee and claim it back?

I completely agree it seems clear the chairman's issue isn't with him more his employer.

Read my first post again. It said:

"Can I just point out that the issue of the Sentinel not paying for access was not an issue on Tuesday night when Mike Baggaley paid ten quid for his ticket to the game and sat in the ordinary seats in the Lorne Street typing his report!"

You'd start an argument in a phone box, REP.

Come on stop it, we all know the sentinel has/will reimburse him, he will not be out of pocket as we all know.

Archived