onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Grand National 2016

beasty77

An interesting debate, although I'm unsure what happens to everyone who is anti-racing for the other 51 weekends of the year.

Your posts are usually more rational than to join in with posters like JA, why don't you look at the link Bea provided, as it included the following-

A typical month in British horse-racing (courtesy of Race Horse Death Watch):

•Aldborough, 12 Apr, Broke Neck – Dead.

•Seedling, 11 Apr, Broke Neck – Dead.

•Balder Success, 10 Apr, Injured Shoulder – Destroyed.

•Valentines Gift, 06 Apr- Fatally Injured

•Moonfaarid, 25 Mar, Pulled Up - Fatally Injured.

•Knocklayde Express, 22 Mar, Pulled Up - Fatally Injured.

•Tiptoeaway, 21 Mar, Collapsed & Died after race.

•Red Merlin, 20 Mar, 2015, Fatally Injured.

•Area Fifty One, 19 Mar, Fatally Injured.

•Scotch Warrior, 18 Mar, Broke Hind Leg – Destroyed.

•Bathcounty, 16 Mar, Broke Near Pastern – Destroyed.

•Alpancho, 16 Mar, Broke Neck – Dead.

Take a second or two to read each horse's name, and cl;ose your eyes and picture a fat spiv with a roll of money walking away smoking a cigar as the horse is put down so he can go and drive off in his Rolls Royce. Would you like to stand there in the vets that gives that horse the fatal injection so that these people can live lavishly ? I'd expect a few gobby fact-twisters would, hopefully not you.

Advert

What a load of horse manure that is. I am an animal lover and have actively campaigned on Animal welfare help at the local donkey sanctuary and take in cats from the cpl..currently caring for a neighbours cat whilst she is hospitalised

How dare you make that accusation based on one issue you ignorant prejudiced ******

Can t be bothered with you. Bye

These animals could have done with a bit more of your 'love'

`

No doubt it suits you to appear as an animal lover at the Sidmouth Conservative club, down the Golf club or on your snooty cruises round the Baltic, but lets face it, profiteering free-market money making is your number one love, closely followed by misleading the reader.

Look at the way you jumped in to defend Asda when they removed foodbanks and animal food collection boxes- even Asda had to drop the plan because their own staff and a 500,000 signed petition in just 3 days made them - but animal loving JA chose top defend the US-owned profiteers. Tells us everything.

Your posts are usually more rational than to join in with posters like JA, why don't you look at the link Bea provided, as it included the following-

Take a second or two to read each horse's name, and cl;ose your eyes and picture a fat spiv with a roll of money walking away smoking a cigar as the horse is put down so he can go and drive off in his Rolls Royce. Would you like to stand there in the vets that gives that horse the fatal injection so that these people can live lavishly ? I'd expect a few gobby fact-twisters would, hopefully not you.

I looked at both links. Like I said, interesting debate, one I can see both sides of. I am still unsure why this isn't news on any weekend other than Grand National weekend however. Surely a horse's life is worth the same whether it dies at Aintree, Cheltenham, Uttoxeter or wherever. Personally, I can take or leave racing as the only point of it is betting, although I used to enjoy a day at Cheltenham every year, more for the day out than the races. Much as I like a bet, I try and avoid betting on stuff I don't follow pretty avidly, as it's a surefire way to lose your money.

I can't believe that a thread asking for Grand National tips has descended into personal abuse like this. Cut it out lads.

I shall follow my time honoured practice of picking a horse whose jockey is wearing a red hat.

Anybody who gives you a "tip" for the National is having you on, Jacko. You've as much chance of picking the next ball in the Euromillions.

I looked at both links. Like I said, interesting debate, one I can see both sides of. I am still unsure why this isn't news on any weekend other than Grand National weekend however. Surely a horse's life is worth the same whether it dies at Aintree, Cheltenham, Uttoxeter or wherever. Personally, I can take or leave racing as the only point of it is betting, although I used to enjoy a day at Cheltenham every year, more for the day out than the races. Much as I like a bet, I try and avoid betting on stuff I don't follow pretty avidly, as it's a surefire way to lose your money.

Fair points, and I will say that I have no right to TELL people they can or even should or bet on the National or not. I just want to point out what they are supporting. Look already -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/35992129

2 beautiful innocent creatures sacrificed - I have no doubt whatsoever that in 100 years time, this will be regarded as we look at slavery or child labour now.

Your point about why is this always highlighted at Aintree weekend seems a fair question - but to me the answer is obvious in that more of the public are having a horserace bet this weekend than any other time. Therefore, perhaps now is the best tiome to appeal to people's consciences.

I am praying for a repeat of 1993 or 1997, it may save some horses lives. I used to work in Liverpool and dreaded this Aintree meeting weekend, when impeccably well-dressed but paralytic creatures would take over the area, openly urinating in public on trains and in people's gardens.

I'm sorry to those who posted that they find arguments on this thread upsetting, but the other person, whilst fully within his rights to bet on what he pleases or not, who is trying to manipulate opinion and undo the good work of organisations like PETA who spend a great deal of time and money fighting animal cruelty, and should not need their energies and resources on combatting blatant lies and hypocrisy.

I can't believe that a thread asking for Grand National tips has descended into personal abuse like this. Cut it out lads.

I shall follow my time honoured practice of picking a horse whose jockey is wearing a red hat.

It's the usual suspects Jacko.I hope nobody starts a thread on dog racing?

I'm sorry to those who posted that they find arguments on this thread upsetting, but the other person, whilst fully within his rights to bet on what he pleases or not, who is trying to manipulate opinion and undo the good work of organisations like PETA who spend a great deal of time and money fighting animal cruelty, and should not need their energies and resources on combatting blatant lies and hypocrisy.

And a good deal of time and money killing animals too...

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/pets-shelter-euthanization-rate_n_6612490.html

Having a bet on the horse and enjoying horse racing is arguably no worse than drinking milk.

Except that most cows aren't whipped as they are forced to run in a terrified chase over massive milking machines in order to make massive profits for spivvy characters and fleece a gullible public who have been mis-educated that the Aintree death-fest is a 'great British tradition'.

1993 and 1997 were the only good Grand Nationals. I sincerely pray for a repeat.

Archived