onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Online marketing

Jacko51

I agree with the main points in this thread - the fact Vale don't know who goes to matches or who has stopped going to matches is staggering and a huge frustration of mine.

However, I have to say that the actual marketing - especially in social media- had really improved this season. The visual for the current ticket offer uses an image if Dicko taken 3 days previously. You can't get more relevant than that. Whoever is doing it now certainly has a better grasp of 'building the buzz' than previous attempts, I just hope this is the start of something bigger and better. Promising signs though.

Advert

This would be easy to set up as just need a database of email addresses and use free software such as Mail Chimp to give the messages a professional edge. Astonished Vale aren't using email as a marketing tool, as virtually free to use and easy to reach a big audience. I'll do it free lance if they want!

Absolutely, it doesn't need to even cost anything. It's pretty simple to set up a system online for people to "register" for online updates and systems like Mail Chimp will allow you to import email addresses (collected in other ways - e.g. you could even just have some paper forms at the club shop to collect people's details) to them.

Then it's just a case of using the system wisely.

I am amazed the club doesn't use this. There are so many things that could be put to the fans this way - Vale lottery results/plugs, new items for sale in the club shop, ticket promotions, fixture changes, season ticket promotions, sponsorship opportunities, events at Vale Park - the list is endless. With our neighbours in the Premier League doing so well to increase their fanbase you'd think a free way of Vale communicating with theirs would be a definite "yes" in the circumstances.

The other thing is that Vale actually have a fanbase who want to know these things. Most online marketing companies have to battle past people getting upset at being contacted all the time - if the club emailed Vale fans then they wouldn't encounter anything like the resistance as most people would welcome being given offers and news.

It really is a no-brainer and it's not just the fault of the current regime - rather that of multiple boards who have failed to take it onboard.

Absolutely, it doesn't need to even cost anything. It's pretty simple to set up a system online for people to "register" for online updates and systems like Mail Chimp will allow you to import email addresses (collected in other ways - e.g. you could even just have some paper forms at the club shop to collect people's details) to them.

Then it's just a case of using the system wisely.

I am amazed the club doesn't use this. There are so many things that could be put to the fans this way - Vale lottery results/plugs, new items for sale in the club shop, ticket promotions, fixture changes, season ticket promotions, sponsorship opportunities, events at Vale Park - the list is endless. With our neighbours in the Premier League doing so well to increase their fanbase you'd think a free way of Vale communicating with theirs would be a definite "yes" in the circumstances.

The other thing is that Vale actually have a fanbase who want to know these things. Most online marketing companies have to battle past people getting upset at being contacted all the time - if the club emailed Vale fans then they wouldn't encounter anything like the resistance as most people would welcome being given offers and news.

It really is a no-brainer and it's not just the fault of the current regime - rather that of multiple boards who have failed to take it onboard.

As a technophobe unfortunately I don't understand too much jargon relating to computers/software/ messaging etc, etc but I have to say that some suggestions on here appear to have been around for quite a few years as far as Vale's pathetic attempts to bring themselves into the 21st Century hi tech world are concerned.

From what most are suggesting it would not take a huge amount of money or indeed forethought to set up a proper, updated and regularly maintained system of communication etc to Valiants/public/media etc. This has to be another priority surely of any new owners to understand the impact that regular news/promotions/offers etc would have on future finances to the Club.

Why has it not been correctly looked at? Vale have ample competent individuals who are surely willing to visit Vale and discuss/ get around a table and agree the way forward?

From what most are suggesting it would not take a huge amount of money or indeed forethought to set up a proper, updated and regularly maintained system of communication etc to Valiants/public/media etc. This has to be another priority surely of any new owners to understand the impact that regular news/promotions/offers etc would have on future finances to the Club.

It potentially wouldn't cost ANY money. For instance, you could place a form on the official site/commercial site to collect email adresses (lots of free scripts will offer that for you) and you can also collect email addresses in other ways (when people pay for season tickets or purchases in the shop or simply just dole out a lot of paper forms at the turnstiles).

Then you collect the details in a database. A CSV database is basically a format for Excel (which I would imagine the club already has copies of) then you just import the contents of that Excel into an email system. Mail Chimp allows you to send to up to 2,000 subscribers and 12,000 emails per month for free.

So, for me the reasons why it's madness not to do it are - it's free (you just need to put the effort in to gather the email addresses and the time to set-up the system and send out the emails), it's immediate (no waiting for it to be delivered in the post) and you are reaching your fans who want to find out what offers the club has.

Always been the same! I've not renewed my season ticket so far.... But have I had a letter, have I been contacted by the club, by any means..... What do you think? Not a chance....

You leave or think about leaving any company and they are continually on your case to try and entice you back....

The club does nothing, I've worked in some FTSE 100 companies running campaign management, even sent a mail to Smurf offering some support/advice.....

They don't have a clue!

When I was late renewing my membership for Nottinghamshire County Cricket I received emails, texts etc nothing over the top just gentle reminders telling me how much they valued my support etc. From Vale nothing ever!!

Wildes had it spot on for marketing and getting the right attention. The Burton home game was a huge success.

I hate to say it, but under Bratt was better for marketing. Could you see the Pledge 5000 campaign being done by the current regime..... The leaflets, the adverts, the billboards, the website, the radio adverts, the sentient updates.....

Currently, it's turn up or don't and we'll budget to that.

Phone calls will be far more productive than emails. Emails get overlooked whereas a phone call with the human touch and a persuasive sales pitch get your attention.

E mails would cost nothing and would take up less time.

But it seems to be a task to far.

Totally agree with the OP .

How can u expect folk turn up if the only folk who know about the offer are the 4000 hardcore and even some of them won't know about it till tomoz .

Nothing on the radio ,not probably put on posters in schools ,no mention of it anywhere cause on signal radio they have the force awakens and Stoke City ( what force is that lol but at least they put positive broadcasting out there ).

Utv get it sorted whoever is marketing the club cause u doing a naff job of it .

We have lost 1 home game all season and barely 4000 home fans r attending and the price is right is it heck .

Different types of folk in this world u need reach out to all levels of prosperity ( or lack of it what seems be the main reason for folk not attending cause they r limited generally to little ).

Totally agree with the OP .

How can u expect folk turn up if the only folk who know about the offer are the 4000 hardcore and even some of them won't know about it till tomoz .

Nothing on the radio ,not probably put on posters in schools ,no mention of it anywhere cause on signal radio they have the force awakens and Stoke City ( what force is that lol but at least they put positive broadcasting out there ).

Utv get it sorted whoever is marketing the club cause u doing a naff job of it .

We have lost 1 home game all season and barely 4000 home fans r attending and the price is right is it heck .

Different types of folk in this world u need reach out to all levels of prosperity ( or lack of it what seems be the main reason for folk not attending cause they r limited generally to little ).

I think it's far more complex than the admission cost. We've got a huge number of people who prefer to go to away games and a lot of lads who only come to the home games where there's a chance of a ruck.

I think it's far more complex than the admission cost. We've got a huge number of people who prefer to go to away games and a lot of lads who only come to the home games where there's a chance of a ruck.

If that is true, which I'm not sure about, then isn't it up to the club to do something about it rather than simply accept it?

When I was late renewing my membership for Nottinghamshire County Cricket I received emails, texts etc nothing over the top just gentle reminders telling me how much they valued my support etc. From Vale nothing ever!!

Having been one of the life members, I wrote to Mr Smurthwaite on several occasions after he cancelled the scheme through both e-mail and on ovf which he completely ignored. As a result, I did not renew my season ticket and bought a flex10 ticket. Have I had an e-mail asking me why I had not renewed the season ticket, NO.

Could have cost the club £165 had I decided just to pick my 10 games. As it is, I have only missed 2 so far but he wasn't to know this at the time.

Totally agree. Despite times like the limited edition shirt, new season ticket purchases etc. giving the club the data the need and it being a simple thing to do I actually receive better emails from Macc town (when I booked corporate hospitality for the Vale game about 5 years ago), giving me updates on fixtures, tickets, drinks, food, non-football events etc. than I do off my own team. It's a joke. The email I get off Vale is very generic, hasn't changed format in years and poor. Smurf runs this club in a way that makes Bill Bell look like he was running the space race for NASA in comparison.

I've gone for 15 years with a ST & never received anything worthy of noting. Possibly one or two letters about early bird renewal around the 5000 campaign time, but no regular emails/texts/letters. 3 goers in our household, lucky that we're die-hards, but for the rest that aren't, club is missing out massively.

Archived