onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Spitfire

Howjy04

Advert

I seem remember many years ago when I was a young kid there being one in display inside Lewis's(?) store in Hanley.Remember climbing up the ladder/steps to get a look inside the cockpit.

I cant remember that mate, not saying your wrong, my mother took me to hanley quite often when I was a kid... but I always found my way home

There used to be one on display somewhere in Hanley inside a greenhouse style building. I have a photo somewhere. late 1970s

That plane is now housed in the Potteries Museum, it's a late model (not sure which mark)and, I believe, has a Merlin engine produced under licence by Packard in the USA.

There's a project ongoing to restore the plane to it's factory condition which will be a long arduous and expensive task but wonderful if completed. I went to a lecture about it at Staffs Uni about 2 years ago which was introduced by Mitchell's great-nephew who's involved in the project.

Also, for those who don't know, there's a firm in Burslem called Supermarine Aero Engineering who make parts for Spitfires who are also involved in the project and Dunlop Aircraft Tyres in Birmingham still manufacture Spitfire tyres to original spec for the circa 70 planes that are still flying around the world (my mate works there but unfortunately he's a Stoke fan).

The Spitfire was and is many things but personally the number one I'd highlight it for is probably being the most beautiful propeller plane ever made, ironic as it was a machine of war. It was / is the E-Type of the skies.

My brother lives about a mile from RAF Conningsby which is the home of the Battle of Britain Memorial flight. When I was there last April we were chatting in the graden when a Typhoon hurtled overhead. A few minutes later an AWACS hove into view. The finale came when a Spitfire flew overhead and did a victory roll. He sees them frequently and every time he drives past the airfield there are crowds of spotters by the roadside and up ladders in the field watching.

One of the most beautiful, iconic machines ever built, makes the hair on the back of my neck stand whenever I see one.

Reginald Mitchell was born in Butt Lane, there's a plaque on the house on Congleton Road where he was born. I attended Reginald Mitchell CP School and if your class had 100% attendance for the week the class was awarded for the next week a mounted brass Spitfire, didn't dare take a day off. Took my kids to see the Spitfire in Hanley museum about 10 years ago.

Archived