onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

(OVF) Why I think Port Vale should let ALL youngsters in for FREE

Guest OVF Feature

Guest OVF Feature

OVF editor Rob Fielding believes that Vale could be in real danger of losing a generation of younger supporters unless the club takes a radical, long-term approach to youngsters. Rob Fielding writes… One of the age-old debates at Vale Park is about the attendances or rather lack of them. I believe it is high time(...)

Read more

This is an automated feed from the OVF front page

Advert

What he says!

I could not agree more, either.

When I look around me where I sit I would guess that over half are over the age of 60. At least.

It is a real issue and simmering away under the surface.

When I was a youngster, we often used to go to the Vale one week and Stoke the next. It was quite common I think in the 1960s. However, once it became impractical and the prices increased I had to choose where to go. I decided on the Vale because it was the first game I ever went to (standing on the Bycars in 1962) and I decided that they would be my club. What a stupid decision that turned out to be!! ;)

But the point is, Rob is spot on. If you can get youngsters here when they are young then you have every chance of keeping them.

If you don't reach out for them you do run the risk of very serious long term decline.

An excellent, thought-provoking post, Rob.

OVF editor Rob Fielding believes that Vale could be in real danger of losing a generation of younger supporters unless the club takes a radical, long-term approach to youngsters. Rob Fielding writes… One of the age-old debates at Vale Park is about the attendances or rather lack of them. I believe it is high time(...)

Read more

This is an automated feed from the OVF front page

Brilliant Rob. I was reading a report on the internet only last night about Wolstanton which including a section on what kids want. One of the replies was "organise a trip to Chelsea FC". We need the children in but they must be properly supervised by parents or teachers. A number of years ago, some were allowed in the Bycars at a night match which I could not attend and at the following game, our seat sponsorship stickers had been ripped off and others who did go to the match said that the kids were not being supervised properly and were generally unruly behaved.

Rob,

I couldn't agree with you more. It's radical thinking, which is just what we need for this club to prosper.

Thank you. I received a message on Facebook about it and I thought it may be useful to share that conversation. It shows a vision of a future for Vale against what we currently have....

Comment: Poor match day facilities, local premiership club with better facilities, lack of ambition and hope at PVFC is all damaging its future. The younger generations need to see modern facilities, strong ambition and an enjoyable match day experiance to want to go. Not facilities that belong in the dark ages of football. But too many Vale fans are stuck in the past that is damaging its future.

My reply: I totally agree with you. I did another article a while back about why I think it's time to look at a new ground. I think Vale have to be radical and a new stadium plus free entry for kids may be the ONLY way forward. Here is the new stadium article - http://www.onevalefan.co.uk/site/2015/06/is-the-time-right-or-wrong-to-look-into-a-new-vale-ground/

That to me is it in a nutshell. We are standing still in a (now) ancient ground with outdated facilities and with no long-term vision or plans. The radical way out of this is to get a modern, new stadium in a decent location (i.e. not in the middle of nowhere but there are tons of better locations than our current one) and the non-matchday revenue that can bring in (if next to the A500 you could look at retail units, a hotel, conferencing even advertising like at Walsall's ground) and combine it with a radical long-term approach to young supporters.

I think it's either look to the future and the club will progress or stand still and we will decline.

An excellent, thought-provoking post, Rob.

Thanks. I'm always pleased when people agree with the blog posts. I respect those who disagree of course, but for me the danger of losing an entire generation of fans is a really big issue, perhaps the biggest issue, Vale has to face.

I was reading a report on the internet only last night about Wolstanton which including a section on what kids want.

Thank you, I think clubs such as Vale sometimes forget that one of the easiest ways to improve things is not to second-guess but to actually ask the fans what they want. Not everything is possible of course but it's a free and simple way of getting some ideas and also gauging support for things. It's not used enough.

I agree 100% with this article.

The sheer incompetence of our owners over the past 13 years have left us with no market for under-18's. They all want to support Stoke.

Take the short-term loss, go all-out in attracting kids and make the connection we all felt our first time we went to Vale Park. Once you feel it, you can't stay away.

Spot on Rob :yes:

Thank you - I've not done as many "thank yous" in a thread for a long time. It seems that so far it's something we all think is important.

To me, even though the ownership issue is deeply troubling this goes beyond that because without fans, Port Vale is nothing.

With a strong fanbase we can overturn poor boards and owners, we can force change and we can save the club when in administration. I'd rather we didn't have to do any of things but when and if we do, we have the loyal fans who step up to the challenge.

But if we start losing generations of fans, well, we're in deep, deep trouble. It's that serious for me.

Excellent points Rob.Free entry for kids and 1/2 the Lorne Street allocated as a family stand.What happened to the preseason open day? Or the kids Christmas Party? I've said before,target the new Sixth Form in the town hall.Talks by both the commercial and the footie dept can be given.Some kids there will be over 16.Charge them £1 or £2 for a match ticket and give them a half price voucher for Wrights Pies.They are one of our sponsors.Put some business their way.Get the tickets in there every week.Give tours around the ground.KFC in Burslem do 5 items for £3 including a drink.Get them involved.

As usual Rob thought provoking and brilliantly put together.

Let's hope that our " new owners" may get your feelings, and that of many, many Valiants into their way of approaching their new era at Vale. If only that have the nous and finances to put together a long term, sustainable plan for our future.

Archived