onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Goals at Gresty.

ollyandpatch

Goals at Gresty !

Just telling my lad about the Bernie Wright hatrick in 1978 and Chamberlain's bicycle kick a few years later !

I can't think of any other ground that I have visited more than Gresty road since 1974.

Anybody out there have any stand out memories of our short trips to south Cheshire?

Advert

Yep. A Tuesday night, not so long ago.

We were already relegated, I recall, and took (a mere) 900 fans.The Alex fans were chanting 'Going down, going down,' etc.....

....and must have felt somewhat upstaged, since all the 900 (including me) appeared to be on our feet, singing it too, but louder, longer, and with an unstoppable pride.

The entire night was one of my best experiences with Port Vale, because it was memorable for the sheer passion and comradeship of our support.:cool:

Going back a bit to the Xmas of 1952, as a lad with my Dad & Brother, I saw the Vale win 4-1 Away and 3-1 at home, Att 14k and 22k. My only memory is Micky Hulligan being sent off for an upper cut to a Crewe defenders jaw, aptly on Boxing Day.

Going back a bit to the Xmas of 1952, as a lad with my Dad & Brother, I saw the Vale win 4-1 Away and 3-1 at home, Att 14k and 22k. My only memory is Micky Hulligan being sent off for an upper cut to a Crewe defenders jaw, aptly on Boxing Day.

I used to work with Micky Hulligan in the late 70s, you couldn't wish to meet a nicer bloke.

he had a great sense of humour and would mercilessly rag the boss.

I used to work with Micky Hulligan in the late 70s, you couldn't wish to meet a nicer bloke.

he had a great sense of humour and would mercilessly rag the boss.

Of course, but in the heat of a match anything can happen, I assume he kept his Scouse accent.

When was that (FLT?) game where their famously rubbish keeper was incapacitated and we scored 5(?)? Mid 90s?

Dario preferred to let their keeper who was clearly injured and couldn't even dive, and risk a worse injury, than put an outfielder in nets.

I remember sitting behind the goal and the swerve on Adebolas goal. I knew it was in the second it left his foot. Still, we had the last laugh.

We used to play there on Friday night quite often.I can remember someone throwing a bottle that smashed against the crossbar one of those nights.Remember Bernie Wright's match.

I think the bottle incident was the night we lost 1 0 to a John Mahony go to let the Bycars end in ;)

Archived