onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Final deadline for Greece?

For Us All

How do you know? How can you speak for everyone?

Only you could make the joke (about the drachmas), then pick fault with it.

OK- for the sake of your nitpicking, I should have said 'are unlikely to offend many people'

Now you can go and line up your pencils and make sure all the tea towels are folded exactly right before ironing the curtains.

Advert

Only you could make the joke (about the drachmas), then pick fault with it.

I aim to please

OK- for the sake of your nitpicking, I should have said 'are unlikely to offend many people'

Thanks for the clarification

Now you can go and line up your pencils and make sure all the tea towels are folded exactly right before ironing the curtains.

Don't forget ironing my socks and y-fronts

I tried ironing the curtains once but then the phone rang and I burnt my ear..never again.

Are you able to tell me why you don't want to be serious, I am genuinely interested.

Without examining minute personal details it would be impossible to define why, Im not really prepared to do that on an open forum.

The statement I made earlier does however encapsulate the reasons.... if you dont laugh you cry.... I realise thats a bit "all encompassing"

As far as I am concerned people can tell jokes about anything they like..if I think it's offensive I'll just not find it funny. Are there limits? Well clearly there are limits to what wider society finds acceptable and some of those are rightly defined in law but for me it's a dangerous path if we start to 'ban' certain subjects re jokes because some find them offensive. It also depends on why the person laughing at the joke is laughing at it..just cos it's for example a sexist joke does not make the person laughing at it sexist..nor indeed the teller of the joke.

I guess I'm generally in favour of leaving it to the "audience" to decide what they find offensive or not, it's not for me to tell them.

You should know by now JA that the lefties arent capable of making their own choices and allowing others to make theirs. They prefer to assume superiority and attempt to force their choices on everyone else by banning anything they dont personally agree with.

A country run by a left wing government would evntually become the most heavily regulated country on Earth. Big brother would be the logical outcome fo their thinking.

Their favorite colour is grey....allegedly

You should know by now JA that the lefties arent capable of making their own choices and allowing others to make theirs. They prefer to assume superiority and attempt to force their choices on everyone else by banning anything they dont personally agree with.

A country run by a left wing government would evntually become the most heavily regulated country on Earth. Big brother would be the logical outcome fo their thinking.

Sounds simple, but if you stop to think about what freedom means to different people, then is all regulation wrong -

Is it wrong to regulate health and safety ? Do you want people here working in the conditions they migrant labourers have to endure in Qatar building those world cup stadia?

Free trade freedom.. that's what the US farmers say the TTIP (secret) talks are about.... but the truth is their food is rotten and dangerous, like poultry that they wash in chlorinated water -a practice banned in the EU. They want to flood us with cheap semi-poison food.

Their GMO food is also regulated and the vast majority banned by the EU - you want to eat that - fine, but I don't, and they want to de-regulate the labelling.

Why are many food additives banned here that are allowed in the US ? Why are some allowed here that are banned in some other countries - I want the safest food and I want it regulated.

I want my roads, railways and bridges inspected often and properly, I want regulation at work so that working conditions are safe, I want regulation on noise levels, and pollution, coal and car exhaust emissions, levels of dangerous chemicals in rivers and the sea, acid rain...and hundreds of other things.

Maybe the above will be like talking to a brick wall. Or maybe you will stop and think and forget that it was written by a 'leftie' but it might just make sense. After all, as the saying goes something like - if the worlds biggest fool says it is raining, it doesn't mean the sun is shining outside.

Also, I quite like grey, goes well with black and white.:)

Is grey a colour?... black and white technically arent [ones a tint the other a shade]

Was reading up on the subject yesterday...how any joke has to be seen in a context..who is telling it, the audience, why it's being told, why people react to it in the way that they do etc so it's not possible to just label it as "right" or "wrong". I guess you either find it funny or you don't and if you do you might (might) want to ask yourself why you do or indeed if you don't why you don't..just in case you are sexist!!!

Personally I don't think it's about "banning" as such but how it's decided what should be banned. I've no issue with anyone believing that something should be banned nor something being banned as long as the process of arriving at a ban takes into account the views of those that don't want it banned as well as those that do and that the reality of what is under discussion comes out and isn't swamped by some agenda

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/chlorine-chicken-hormone-beef-european-fears-over-american-frankenfood-imports-9906889.html

"Leading European food safety authorities have determined that several US practices in contention — such as sanitizing poultry in lightly chlorinated water — are safe. Yet increasingly, the debate here is not just about health but what European critics decry as “less natural” methods deployed by mass producers of food in the United States."

"French President François Hollande has openly backed the trade deal. But in an interview with The Washington Post, Matthias Fekl, France’s new secretary of state for foreign trade, said he could not envision any deal that opens the door to controversial US foods.This is about lifestyle, about way of life,” Fekl said. “Nothing will force us to expand entry into Europe of chlorinated chicken or hormone beef"

I don't think the EU would allow "rotten and dangerous" food..other than those already considered to be "delicacies" in France ;)

As long as people know if their food has been treated in certain ways and their is regulation regarding labelling and what is not safe practice then people can make an informed choice. The issue is not should there be regulation or not but how much should there be

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/chlorine-chicken-hormone-beef-european-fears-over-american-frankenfood-imports-9906889.html

"Leading European food safety authorities have determined that several US practices in contention — such as sanitizing poultry in lightly chlorinated water — are safe. Yet increasingly, the debate here is not just about health but what European critics decry as “less natural” methods deployed by mass producers of food in the United States."

"French President François Hollande has openly backed the trade deal. But in an interview with The Washington Post, Matthias Fekl, France’s new secretary of state for foreign trade, said he could not envision any deal that opens the door to controversial US foods.This is about lifestyle, about way of life,” Fekl said. “Nothing will force us to expand entry into Europe of chlorinated chicken or hormone beef"

I don't think the EU would allow "rotten and dangerous" food..other than those already considered to be "delicacies" in France ;)

As long as people know if their food has been treated in certain ways and their is regulation regarding labelling and what is not safe practice then people can make an informed choice. The issue is not should there be regulation or not but how much should there be

Complex issues, but firstly people in the EU will NOT know - in the US they don't tell their trusting little patriots they are feeding them GM muck, it isn't labelled and that's what they want here.

You don't think the EU would allow rotten and dangerous food - Ive thought many things about you but naïve in the face of profiteers want amongst them. Food safety is already stretched to the limit, I suppose I am wastug my time asking you to read these, but it is your family that will be affected as well -

http://www.salon.com/2014/05/26/chlorine_in_your_chicken_why_poultry_is_more_dangerous_than_ever_partner/

http://ecowatch.com/2014/04/29/5-dangerous-substances-big-ag-meat/

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/05/29/dangerous-food-practices.aspx

Dangerous, and damaging - your choice, I am opting out of any further argument as this one is crystal clear to me. You can score points by coming back with a clever devious reply, but lets hope your health isn't the cost.

Complex issues, but firstly people in the EU will NOT know - in the US they don't tell their trusting little patriots they are feeding them GM muck, it isn't labelled and that's what they want here.

I don't believe that the EU will agree to that

You don't think the EU would allow rotten and dangerous food - Ive thought many things about you but naïve in the face of profiteers want amongst them. Food safety is already stretched to the limit, I suppose I am wastug my time asking you to read these, but it is your family that will be affected as well -

Big difference between food safety being stretched to the limit and items slipping thru the net and the EU in law and regulation allowing rotten and dangerous food.

Dangerous, and damaging - your choice, I am opting out of any further argument as this one is crystal clear to me. You can score points by coming back with a clever devious reply, but lets hope your health isn't the cost.

Can you give examples of these clever and devious replies Billy? Quite funny really..it's like being savaged by a My Little Pony toy

Sounds simple, but if you stop to think about what freedom means to different people, then is all regulation wrong -

Is it wrong to regulate health and safety ? Do you want people here working in the conditions they migrant labourers have to endure in Qatar building those world cup stadia?

Free trade freedom.. that's what the US farmers say the TTIP (secret) talks are about.... but the truth is their food is rotten and dangerous, like poultry that they wash in chlorinated water -a practice banned in the EU. They want to flood us with cheap semi-poison food.

Their GMO food is also regulated and the vast majority banned by the EU - you want to eat that - fine, but I don't, and they want to de-regulate the labelling.

Why are many food additives banned here that are allowed in the US ? Why are some allowed here that are banned in some other countries - I want the safest food and I want it regulated.

I want my roads, railways and bridges inspected often and properly, I want regulation at work so that working conditions are safe, I want regulation on noise levels, and pollution, coal and car exhaust emissions, levels of dangerous chemicals in rivers and the sea, acid rain...and hundreds of other things.

Maybe the above will be like talking to a brick wall. Or maybe you will stop and think and forget that it was written by a 'leftie' but it might just make sense. After all, as the saying goes something like - if the worlds biggest fool says it is raining, it doesn't mean the sun is shining outside.

Also, I quite like grey, goes well with black and white.:)

Some things need regulation and others dont, where I have an issue is when the legislators are making a subjective choice on our behalf without genuinely taking into account the alternative views. Statements like "everyone knows its wrong" or "only an idiot would disagree" or "all right thinking people will agree" are clues to this arrogant mentality which I detest.

Over regulation is just controlling behaviour.

Archived