onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Gunmen kill 12 in terrorist attack - Paris

TheJoker

Don't allow any person connected to the Islamic faith to vote in british elections....now theres a start....

Why?

How can we claim to have a democracy if we don't allow everyone to vote. Disallowing the right of a Muslim to something because of their ethnicity/religion is very similar to what Hitler did with the Jewish population is it not?

Advert

I'll answer the last question. No. The only way we can get closer to a perfect life is through reconciliation with God through a relationship with his Son. Otherwise, "our righteous acts are like filthy rags". But your belief that "we have become more civilised and moral over the last 2000 years" confirms that you have no knowledge of history.

Studies show we are living in the most peaceful period of history. Of course violence happens, but in terms of deaths per population due to war and murder etc, then the numbers show we are more peaceful. Added to that is improving attitudes towards women, ethnic minorities and homosexual. Improved human rights, the spread of democracy, tech official advances, more conmected global population meaning a better awareness of others, more stable governments, more international cooperation whether economic, social, etc. a justice system (though not perfect is better than nothing), an education system for all etc. Again, it's the mind set of a fundamentalist who wants to drag us back into the dark ages. I can't for the life of me understand how you could even argue that we were more civilised 2000 years ago (or more recent).

It's also a bit laughable to question someone's grasp of history, when you consider a story about a boat taking in two of every animal species in the world during a flood, as historical fact.

Religion can't claim morality, as what good morality the did suggest already existed before hand (murder etc). They also can't clam he good without acknowledging the bad in there. As you agree, you don't need to be religious to be moral, but you can't deny that you need to be moral to be a good follower of religion. As those who don't have such morals end up blowing things up.

It's also a bit laughable to question someone's grasp of history, when you consider a story about a boat taking in two of every animal species in the world during a flood, as historical fact.

Dont forget there were only 5 people on Noahs Ark and from those people the world was populated enough a few hundred years later for the Egyptians to build the pyramids.

For me anyone who believes in creationism has a mental illness. I respect the right of someone to choose their faith and believe it but i will not respect those who push their views on others as fact and truth.

Studies show we are living in the most peaceful period of history. Of course violence happens, but in terms of deaths per population due to war and murder etc, then the numbers show we are more peaceful. Added to that is improving attitudes towards women, ethnic minorities and homosexual. Improved human rights, the spread of democracy, tech official advances, more conmected global population meaning a better awareness of others, more stable governments, more international cooperation whether economic, social, etc. a justice system (though not perfect is better than nothing), an education system for all etc. Again, it's the mind set of a fundamentalist who wants to drag us back into the dark ages. I can't for the life of me understand how you could even argue that we were more civilised 2000 years ago (or more recent).

Religion can't claim morality, as what good morality the did suggest already existed before hand (murder etc). They also can't clam he good without acknowledging the bad in there. As you agree, you don't need to be religious to be moral, but you can't deny that you need to be moral to be a good follower of religion. As those who don't have such morals end up blowing things up.

You have mis-stated what I said. I never said we were more civilised 2000 years ago, I merely questioned your assertion that we are more civilised today.

It depends, of course, on your definition of "civilised" but you used the word in the context of morality. I contend that morals today are comparable with those 2,000 years ago. But there are differences today and there were differences then, amongst different cultures.

Dont forget there were only 5 people on Noahs Ark and from those people the world was populated enough a few hundred years later for the Egyptians to build the pyramids.

For me anyone who believes in creationism has a mental illness. I respect the right of someone to choose their faith and believe it but i will not respect those who push their views on others as fact and truth.

I believe in creationism. So you are saying I have mental illness? Would you like to reconsider that before I decide what the next step is?

You have mis-stated what I said. I never said we were more civilised 2000 years ago, I merely questioned your assertion that we are more civilised today.

It depends, of course, on your definition of "civilised" but you used the word in the context of morality. I contend that morals today are comparable with those 2,000 years ago. But there are differences today and there were differences then, amongst different cultures.

We are more civilised than 100 years ago. If you want to give me the golden age of civilisation then go ahead.

Of course you have varying degrees of morality during each age, but I can't see how it's even comparable to now. I suppose it depends on what you base it on. I've given examples of war, murder, human rights, democracy, equality etc. what's yours?

We are more civilised than 100 years ago. If you want to give me the golden age of civilisation then go ahead.

Of course you have varying degrees of morality during each age, but I can't see how it's even comparable to now. I suppose it depends on what you base it on. I've given examples of war, murder, human rights, democracy, equality etc. what's yours?

I disagree with your judgment. You are generalising in each case, with the elements you point to. Many of those vary when it comes to different countries and cultures today. I could answer your question by citing wars, religious persecution, women's rights, murder, sexual perversion, poverty, slavery and many other things, but it would be the same generalisation as you have used.

More simply I would say that humanity is no different now to what it was then.

There is no perfect life, its a figment of someones imagination, a desire for something unattainable, a wish for something better than what is.

God didnt create me, he didnt create any of my ancestors, in fact if he exists and he did create any human he must be mentally deranged... would anyone or any super intelligence create a machine with so many faults and flaws?... would he create something you cant get spares for?.... we are simply insects on the backside of the universe who will eventually die and disintegrate and be replaced my more of the same.

God only exists in the minds of those who want or more probably need to believe... in something... anything... other than this is all there is.

Birth.. work.. fall apart.. die.. with a few condiments added... the cycle of life

You don't know that , as much as I don't . We'd have to die first, so I wish you a long life. :)

I disagree with your judgment. You are generalising in each case, with the elements you point to. Many of those vary when it comes to different countries and cultures today. I could answer your question by citing wars, religious persecution, women's rights, murder, sexual perversion, poverty, slavery and many other things, but it would be the same generalisation as you have used.

More simply I would say that humanity is no different now to what it was then.

Like I said, studies show we are more peaceful world wide. I never suggested we lived in a perfect world, far from it. Just more peaceful and more civilised than it was. You could cite all you wanted, I'm not denying it. The examples I also gave also vary, but the spread of those ideas and ideals is more widespread now than it ever has been.

You don't know that , as much as I don't . We'd have to die first, so I wish you a long life. :)

You can say we don't know that. But you can also say we know enough to presume we do and live accordingly. Just as you presume their is no Thor, that Scientology is nonsense, that fairies don't live at the bottom of your garden and that the spaghetti monster is the Lord surpreme.

Archived